Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#182055 - 09/12/09 11:00 PM Trail running with pack?
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
I run / jog a relatively short trail, less than a mile, in an effort to maintain fitness. I have been thinking about wearing a pack to increase the effectiveness but my existing packs will not do: to big and bulky, and ride wrong.

Anybody have experience and recommendations along these lines?

Thanks.

#182059 - 09/12/09 11:40 PM Re: Trail running with pack? [Re: dweste]
raptor Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Europe
I do trail running too. I wouldnīt add any unnecessary load on my body (if you donīt need the pack for hydration etc.). Itīs bad for the joints. When I run short trail and want to increase the effectiveness of the training I increase the speed (or sprint some sections of the trail). Sometimes I compose series of pushups (without any breaks) into the run.
Or I set up a countdown and try to reach the destination in time. Itīs pretty motivational.

If you really want to wear the pack though I would look around for some specialized hydration packs for running. I will search in my bookmarks and post something - I did search on this because I wanted the pack for longer runs in order to carry more water.

#182061 - 09/12/09 11:54 PM Re: Trail running with pack? [Re: ]
raptor Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
Having the right pack for trail running and riding is pretty much the same.

There is one significant difference. For running you need a pack with hip belt. Otherwise the pack will bounce (I have tested it and can confirm it). For riding you donīt want the hip belt because given your position on the bike the belt presses your stomach (I havenīt personally tested it - I only read about it).

#182074 - 09/13/09 01:32 AM Re: Trail running with pack? [Re: ]
raptor Offline
Enthusiast

Good point.

#182075 - 09/13/09 02:03 AM Re: Trail running with pack? [Re: raptor]
raptor Offline
Enthusiast

#182079 - 09/13/09 03:13 AM Re: Trail running with pack? [Re: dweste]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
Originally Posted By: dweste
I run / jog a relatively short trail, less than a mile, in an effort to maintain fitness. I have been thinking about wearing a pack to increase the effectiveness but my existing packs will not do: to big and bulky, and ride wrong.

Anybody have experience and recommendations along these lines?

Thanks.

While I don't support REI unless I can't avoid it their backpack guy was VERY helpful for me and sized one and told me how to wear it properly, etc.. I suggest trying that and then buying online and saving 25% or more.

#182080 - 09/13/09 03:13 AM Re: Trail running with pack? [Re: raptor]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Biking I preferred to mount gear on the bike to keep the center of gravity low and maintain a feeling of being unencumbered.

A set of panniers and small rack for most of it, a small under-seat bag for the first-aid and repair kit and a handle bar bag, convertible to a fanny pack, for stuff I might want while riding. It wasn't like I was going far without the bike and it was usually incorporated into my shelter to hold a rain fly.

#182083 - 09/13/09 05:41 AM Re: Trail running with pack? [Re: Art_in_FL]
Tom_L Offline
Addict

Quote:

Hmm, anything under a mile is really a short distance sprint. How long does it take anyway, 6 or 7 minutes at most if you're in decent shape?

You just don't need to cary any extra gear on a 6-minute sprint and you sure as heck don't need a fancy pack with a hydration system. Not unless you want to do some long distance running, in which case you would do well to invest in a good, tight fitting pack with hip support.

But from what you've said, you want a backpack for added resistance. That's fine if you're in good shape already but you really must develop a solid foundation first. Meaning good endurance (being able to run at least 20 minutes at a fast pace) and having enough lower and upper body strength. Otherwise, running with a heavy pack will ruin your joints and spine in short order.

I've used an old hiking pack (45 liters IIRC) that fits me properly and has a nicely padded hip belt. Make sure it's strong and fits well, everything else is unimportant. You could fill it with sand - your best bet would be to make small sand bags so you can vary the weight as needed.

An even better but expensive alternative would be a weighted vest. It's basically a tight fitting vest with lots of pockets for small weights. It's good stuff because when adjusted properly the weight won't move around at all.

Another alternative still, maybe you can get one of those old, obsolete bulletproof vest with heavy ceramic plates. Easy to make you own weighted vest. Personally I've also had good success with a tactical (LBE) vest. Again, lots of pockets where you can insert small weights. Good for at least up to 30lbs.

#182084 - 09/13/09 05:52 AM Re: Trail running with pack? [Re: Tom_L]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California

#182161 - 09/14/09 03:13 PM Re: Trail running with pack? [Re: dweste]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
Trail runner here, if running in the desert is considered a trail. Depending on location, its advised to have some sort of pack. If you at your urban wilderness park and have good cell coverage on a short run, then just make sure you have some fluids with you.

For longer distances or rural/state park stuff, I advise at least a fanny pack of preparedness gear if you plan on holding a water bottle otherwise a hydration pack should be used. Again with gear in case you hurt or the weather changes.

There is no difference between a trail run and a hike, except location and how much gear is on your back.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 454 Guests and 23 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.