Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#182117 - 09/14/09 12:26 AM Going to run the risk of sounding like an idiot...
samhain Offline
Addict

Loc: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
I got an idea! But y'all stick with me on this one, it will sound weird.

Question:
Flyfishing where I'm at (the swamps) isn't always feasible because of the overhead brush, but has anyone tried connecting a length of flyfishing line to the end of a plain old rod/reel line? (someone correct my terminology please...)

If it works, it could expand one's options in what/where one could catch something such as if water's too shallow for float fishing.

Background:
Used to carry a 2 piece rod/reel strapped to my backpack when I went off backpacking. It did ok sometimes supplementing my pack food when I was lucky enough to catch something.

My "favorite" was spending 1 hour looking for grubs/worms to use for bait and only caught a little brim. Water was too shallow to have anything else in it. Almost threw him back because he was so small, and decided that I worked over an hour for him and I was going to be damned if I was going to give him up... he was a tasty appetizer...

#182118 - 09/14/09 12:52 AM Re: Going to run the risk of sounding like an idio [Re: samhain]
GarlyDog Offline
τΏτ
Old Hand

Loc: The People's Republic of IL
I am curious what you are trying to achieve by attaching the fly fishing line to the end of the monofilament line.

Just an FYI, fly fisherman usually attach a leader of monofilament line to the end of the fly fishing line.

Are you trying to get the bait to float?

Edited by GarlyDog (09/14/09 07:30 PM)

#182122 - 09/14/09 01:03 AM Re: Going to run the risk of sounding like an idio [Re: GarlyDog]
samhain Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: GarlyDog
I am curious what you are trying to achieve by attaching the fly fishing line to the end of the monofilament line.

Just an FYI, flyfisherman usually attach a leader of monofilament line to the end of the fly fishing line.

Are you trying to get the bait to float?

Exactly!!

The only thing I know about flyfishing is what I've watched on TV so I presume the fly is floating on the surface.

I (admittedly inexperienced) was wondering if there is a way to combine the two so that one only has to carry one rod/reel but able to make use of both techniques depending on the conditions.

Thanks for the info on the use of a monofilament leader. I was just Googling the subject and was a tad confused.

#182123 - 09/14/09 01:17 AM Re: Going to run the risk of sounding like an idio [Re: samhain]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
If the goal is to be able to use a spinning or conventional casting outfit with floating flies, then just get a couple casting bubbles. These can be used much like a bobber or filled with various amounts of water for weight to allow longer casts. Attach plain mono or fly leader, and use leader floatant solution as desired to keep the line/leader/fly floating.

There are also lots of poles that can be switched over to fly fishing. Often you can find convertible outfits sold as travel kits that readily allow use of two kinds of reels, etcetera.

Flyfishing is about way more than dry / surface flies, by the way.

Edited by dweste (09/14/09 01:18 AM)

#182124 - 09/14/09 01:17 AM Re: Going to run the risk of sounding like an idio [Re: samhain]
GarlyDog Offline
τΏτ
Old Hand

Loc: The People's Republic of IL
You can use floating flies with casting line, by putting a float/bobber a few feet ahead of the fly. This will keep the weight of the line from pulling a small fly under water. It will also give you some weight to cast. To get the last length of line to float, you can dress it with flyline dressing(wax) this will help keep things above the water too.

Here is a link to an appropriate float for the mission:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templa...rset=ISO-8859-1

I would go with the clear model.

Good luck!

Edited by GarlyDog (09/14/09 07:29 PM)

#182129 - 09/14/09 02:42 AM Re: Going to run the risk of sounding like an idio [Re: GarlyDog]
2005RedTJ Offline
Addict

Loc: Birmingham, Alabama
If you're not casting very far, you can cast a large fly with an ultralight spinning reel and rod.

I've done it, it's just not as efficient as an actual fly rod.

#182175 - 09/14/09 05:50 PM Re: Going to run the risk of sounding like an idio [Re: 2005RedTJ]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Colorado
Fly fishing (as seen on TV) uses the weight of the line itself to enable the cast. They even have a bit of weight bias so that the line is heavier per inch near the cast end than in the middle.

Fly lines are made as either floating (most of them) or sinking so as to have options on how to fish.

I think the casting bubble and some flies is the way to go for the situation described. Oh, and some fly floatant to ensure the fly really does float when it gets to the water on the cast. Unless of course you are fishing with a subsurface fly....

#182185 - 09/14/09 06:54 PM Re: Going to run the risk of sounding like an idiot... [Re: NightHiker]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
Maybe you just want to try dapping.
You use a long pole with your line tied on the end and drop the fly onto the water and drag it about like you were operating a crane.
It is just like fishing with a long pole but you have a fly on your line instead of a cricket or worm.

Dapping PDF
http://www.fish.state.pa.us/anglerboater/2004/jf04web/fieldguide.pdf

#182208 - 09/14/09 10:32 PM Re: Going to run the risk of sounding like an idiot... [Re: samhain]
samhain Offline
Addict

I knew that y'all would have the answers.

Thank you!!!

That's what I like about ETS, I can ask a seemingly dumb question and get honest answers without being shot down...

I didn't know about the little clear floats y'all were talking about. I'll have to go play with them!

Thanks!

#182326 - 09/16/09 01:11 AM Re: Going to run the risk of sounding like an idiot... [Re: samhain]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

It isn't an extensive fishing rig and I never depended on it for food but I got a few nice meals out of a simple fishing kit made up of a tin can with a large cork stuffed in one end. Around this I wrapped some light line. Typically braided polyester because it doesn't coil up like mono. Inside I carried a mix set of split shot, a variety of hooks, a small float, and various artificial baits.

Usually a couple of plastic worms, small crank baits, and, the main fish getter, small feather tailed 'poppers' in bright colors. I tried using a monofilament leader but it added complexity and didn't seem to get me more fish. If I used the plastic worms more going after bass it might have helped but handlining from shore for pan fish it didn't make any difference.

Camping in scrub brush and around swamps I would usually unwind maybe ten feet of line, crimp on a couple of split shot and tie on a popper. Just tossing this from shore and working the popper with short jerks I could often pull in pan fish about as fast as I could pull the line in.

I would sometimes cut a light dead fall wood or bamboo pole and tie the line on it, A good way to catch a nap without people thinking your lazy. My walking stick made a decent pole.

I figure the kit cost maybe $15 or $20 new.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.