Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#182014 - 09/12/09 03:08 AM Re: The Worst Moment of My Life (A Real Preps Test) [Re: Lono]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC

Jesselp,

My blood pressure rose just reading that harrowing account of your son's emergency.

Kudos to you, the babysitter and all the emergency and hospital personnel who came through for your son.

Certainly puts mundane daily pressures into perspective. Life can turn on a dime, good and bad.

Best wishes to you all.

#182024 - 09/12/09 05:53 AM Re: The Worst Moment of My Life (A Real Preps Test [Re: Dagny]
Grouch Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ohio
I'm glad to see that the outcome was positive. Great reactions from all involved!

#182027 - 09/12/09 11:54 AM Re: The Worst Moment of My Life (A Real Preps Test) [Re: Jesselp]
Matt26 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Vermont
As a Dad of 3 girls I can tell you from experience that you did great, as well as the Sitter! Kids decompensate very quickly, I can't think of a thing you could have done differently. Nice job for both of you.

#182028 - 09/12/09 12:47 PM Re: The Worst Moment of My Life (A Real Preps Test) [Re: Jesselp]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Loc: Northwest Florida
Originally Posted By: Jesselp
Here's one very similar to the one we use: Consent to treat a minor child

First, "well done" to all involved. Second, thank you for posting this experience for us to learn from. Third, as to consent to treat, generally, state statutes authorize any necessary emergency treatment if no parent is available. YMMV.

More minor or routine care is actually more problematic. Babysitters who are themselves minors may have a bit more trouble, as well. The consent forms shown aren't bad, but notarization is the gold standard. The form itself should mention both emergency and routine care authority, if, for example, you might need your babysitter to take your kid in for a dentist's appointment when you're running late. It should also state your acceptance of financial responsibility, and include your own full name, SSN, DOB, address, etc., as well as your child's. It should also have at least two adult relatives' and your pediatrician's full contact information.

On a separate page, include a full medical history, meds, and allergies, since these things do change. Then, attach a photocopy of your DL or other ID and your insurance card.

Does your babysitter know infant/child CPR and first aid? Where your fire extinguisher is and how to use it? Your address and telephone numbers by memory? Who to call for help if you can't be reached for some reason, other than 911?

#182050 - 09/12/09 09:57 PM Re: The Worst Moment of My Life (A Real Preps Test [Re: MoBOB]
ki4buc Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Augusta, GA
Originally Posted By: MoBOB
Since she is a student , maybe you could buy her book(s) next semester or pay for one of her classes. That would be a huge tip!

... and let her department know what a fine job she did.

Edited to Add: Since you're already in the field, perhaps it would be a nice thing to take her to meet everyone else that participated in the incident. She'd probably love to see the pre-hospital care environment up close. It's a great time for them to tell them she did a fabulous job.

Your local fire department should have a burn pan (or be able to borrow one ) and you can get her trained in using a fire extinguisher.

Also, American Red Cross and American Heart Association both offer Babysitting classes, but I believe that might be above her level.

Edited by ki4buc (09/12/09 10:01 PM)

#182098 - 09/13/09 05:15 PM Re: The Worst Moment of My Life (A Real Preps Test [Re: ki4buc]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
I am sure having the contacts to call helped a bit. Yes you did a fine job and so did your baby sitter.

Even if the end result had not been good you still all took the right steps in the right order.

Both Jeff and ki4buc mention the babysitter first aid courses and if she does not have them they are not a bad idea.

#182113 - 09/13/09 11:59 PM Re: The Worst Moment of My Life (A Real Preps Test [Re: scafool]
James_Van_Artsdalen Offline
Addict

Loc: Texas
Some kind of meaningful reward for the babysitter for sure, but I would also make a point that if the babysitter ever feels there's something "not right" like this again to call 911 and you'll cover it, right or wrong.

Around here it's a $500 fee for an ambulance call, and I suspect insurance (if you have it) applies a "20-20 hindsight" rule: they may not pay for the ambulance if it turns out there wasn't a problem after all. A reliable babysitter should be told to just call 911, and if it turns out it's wrong and costs money, that's OK.

#182148 - 09/14/09 11:47 AM Re: The Worst Moment of My Life (A Real Preps Test [Re: James_Van_Artsdalen]
Tyber Offline
Sheriff
Enthusiast

Loc: ST. Paul MN
Happy all came out well.

It is always scarry when you hear that your child is not "quite right" not matter what you have been through.

#182209 - 09/14/09 10:41 PM Re: The Worst Moment of My Life (A Real Preps Test [Re: Tyber]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
My brother had febrile seizures a couple of times as a kid. I was too young to be all that scared by them (in fact, I was laughing really hard the first time, til my Mom turned around and freaked). Yeah, they can be scary.

Glad she's doing ok!

Glad the babysitter didn't just Facebook it .... (Ok, a little tongue in cheek)

Since she's a RN student, maybe you can arrange some time on the ambulance? It'd be nice if she had some real emergency experiences to fall back on, even though she did pretty good by your account. Lots of RNs are crap in an emergency, since if they never work an ER they'll rarely have one. Help her to not be one of those.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 318 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.