Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#181304 - 09/03/09 07:19 PM Re: 72 vs. 96 Hours (LONG post) [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I too am confused by AFLM's post. Yes, so far private business has been successful in keeping store shelves stocked during good times, but as many have seen, those shelves are emptied when a storm approaches and will stay barren until trucks can start delivering the goods after the storm is done, roads are cleared and power is restored. Those who have stockpiled our supplies ahead of time from sources such as Wal-Mart, Cost-Co, Sam's, et al, might look to top-off our supplies, but in general we are good to go without last minute shopping. Private store owners do not get credit for making folks store goods ahead of time.

It's just human nature that some of us have experiences that tell us to stockpile during good times and others have experiences that tell them that in time of need, somebody will arrive with what they need, that's the reason they pay taxes. That's not the fault of the store owners. Private store owners should not get blamed for making folks myopic and dependent on outside aid.

The government didn't turn citizens into this, the gov't just reinforced the trait with programs to help survivors get back on their feet. Who knows when it first happened? Regardless, someone took notes and stocked less hoping the gov't would help next time too. With each emergency the gov't through FEMA slowly won over lots of folks to not stockpiling and simply waiting for the helping hand that always shows up with food, water and plywood. Now when FEMA always shows up at these events and provides their "stuff" -- people complain they weren't there soon enough and didn't bring the right stuff when they did arrive. Where's the ice? I need a generator. . . and gas. It's all free right?

#181305 - 09/03/09 07:20 PM Re: 72 vs. 96 Hours (LONG post) [Re: MartinFocazio]
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
The county has been using Plan 9 to introduce emergency preparation to the general public through presentations, local cable announcements and has a web page for the Frederick County Division of Emergency Management and provides a local emergency preparation guide.

(Martin, if you want I can forward you an e-mail that has the Plan 9 Powerpoint and poster)

Pete

#181306 - 09/03/09 07:27 PM Re: 72 vs. 96 Hours (LONG post) [Re: MartinFocazio]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
So WHAT can we do to get 96 hour readiness to 70% of the population? That's a goal.

Perhaps FEMA needs a more realistic updated Tagline on their publications and then start from there.

Something like;

FEMA Will be there for You.

Well we might be, but you know it depends on how bad it gets, but you can be sure we'll at least try our best from the resources that are available.

rather than just 'FEMA Prepared Responsive Committed'

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (09/03/09 07:35 PM)

#181309 - 09/03/09 08:01 PM Re: 72 vs. 96 Hours (LONG post) [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NW NJ
It is something of a paradox. When times are prosperous, people tend to lose the ability to, say, grow their own food. When times are hard, people learn to be more self sufficent, but then you die of a simple infection because all the doctors are out in the garden.

"Never trust and engineer who doesn't carry a pocketknife."

#181310 - 09/03/09 08:05 PM Re: 72 vs. 96 Hours (LONG post) [Re: MartinFocazio]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Have many of you seen the Seseme Street emergency preparedness commercials? There's three or four of them with assorted muppets taking about what should be in an emergency kit, preparing a family emergency plan, and the like. They are on youtube somewhere, but I can't access it from work.

The next issue of Popular Mechanics is all about emergency preparedness and we've all noted an increase is news/magazine articles on the subject.

I'm in contact with edible wild plant teaches nationwide and we've all seen a huge jump in demand for our classes. I always ask my students why they are taking the class and 80% of them answer they are there because they are afraid of what's happening in the world and want to be prepared.

Here at work people who used to laugh at stuff have now been coming to me for advice on flashlights, radios, generators, etc...

So, I think the number of prepared people is currently climbing. There's always going to be some who refuse to take that sort of responsibility.

As I said earlier the trick is to convince people it's cheap, easy, and all the cool people are doing it. Maybe "People" magazine needs to do an article on the emergency gear of the stars or Oprah needs to talk about her collection of ham radios and shotguns...

Perhaps if we starting contacting tv producers and magazine editors to request more such shows/articles would help.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#181316 - 09/03/09 10:00 PM Re: 72 vs. 96 Hours (LONG post) [Re: Blast]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Grover and Rosita

Only one I could find.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#181317 - 09/03/09 10:09 PM Re: 72 vs. 96 Hours (LONG post) [Re: MartinFocazio]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
I think I like him, particularly the things I'm hearing about him in regards to volunteer responses and getting people to look honestly at what they are facing.

I've been thinking in terms of a 100hr kit (96, close enough) and 200 hour stocks for years. I'd love to say I've got 250 hours of fuel and water, but I don't. At least I don't think I do.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#181321 - 09/03/09 10:43 PM Re: 72 vs. 96 Hours (LONG post) [Re: ironraven]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Originally Posted By: ironraven
Grover and Rosita

Only one I could find.

There's a long and a short version of this one plus one about why you should know your full name and the names of your parents.

They also have them in Spanish.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#181360 - 09/04/09 11:44 AM Re: 72 vs. 96 Hours (LONG post) [Re: Blast]
Tyber Offline
Sheriff
Enthusiast

Loc: ST. Paul MN
Personally I think that people don't recognize the difference between "community Emergencies" and "Personal Emergencies." When you have a medical or rescue need, well that is when the Fire/EMS/Police come rushing to your aid. The problem is that most people don't seem to realize that when a true disaster occurs that those that would come to there rescue are now busy rescuing themselves and there families.

The general public have been told, everything will be handy for you no matter where you go. Just look at the number of people that turn to those of us on this list when there is a need for a knife to cut open something, or a multi tool when needed. Does the general public carry knives (for non violent purposes) and multi tools. I look at peoples pockets (looking for the tell tail clip for knives) and waists (admittedly more at girls waists,, but I digress) and rarely do I see multitools and simple easy to carry devices that show a sign of self reliance.

As I read the original posting I interpreted the statement of, considering the general public as a resource for rescue, as things like CERT (Community Emergency Response Team.) Part of our job as CERT members is to not only help when distaste strikes, but to also spread the word of preparedness.

The truth is that we here spreading the word and slowly helping those around us realize that they need to be prepaid, and volunteering (if that is your thing) on things like CERT and the such that is the best we can do.

Cause standing on a soap box and screaming "get prepared" gets you put in a fun room with happy medication.. Or that is at least how people perceive you. Thos I must admit this site and those on this site have come a long way in helping the general population realize that being prepared and self reliant is no longer just for those "survivalist nuts" but rather the actions of very sane, very rational people who realize that there are times when the best person to rely on for help is yourself and your preparations. Now please,, no comments on anyone’s sanity, smile

Eric

#181413 - 09/04/09 08:12 PM Re: 72 vs. 96 Hours (LONG post) [Re: Blast]
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Loc: Virginia, US
Sesame Street has a preparedness site you can get to via ready.gov.

Here's the direct link to the " Sesame Street Let's Get Ready" site where you can see many of the full preparedness videos.

If only everybody was as prepared as Grover believes. laugh

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 390 Guests and 36 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.