Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 5 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10 11 >
Topic Options
#181262 - 09/03/09 03:46 PM Re: new TV show to argue about: "Surviving Disaster" [Re: Compugeek]
oldsoldier Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
I missed this show!!! I will have to see if I can find it online, and watch the new one next week.

#181307 - 09/03/09 07:34 PM Re: new TV show to argue about: "Surviving Disaster" [Re: Compugeek]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
No idea - but if we're in a crash situation and the attendant asks me for what's in my pockets, she gets what I got. And if we survive, I head to AmEx, get a cash advance, and buy any/all other survivors a night on the town or two. Wallet, keys etc etc just don't matter to me. I assume they are told to do this to cut down on the high speed projectile potential.

#181392 - 09/04/09 05:32 PM Re: new TV show to argue about: "Surviving Disaster" [Re: Lono]
LoneWolf Offline

Maybe I'm just a bit paranoid or something, but does anyone else find it troubling that a television program would show in great detail how to get through a reinforced cockpit door? I'm sure the bad guys have already figured it out, but it still bothers me.

Had to vent there for a second .....

Sorry,
LW

#181394 - 09/04/09 05:47 PM Re: new TV show to argue about: "Surviving Disaster" [Re: LoneWolf]
GoatRider Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Maple Grove, MN
That's the old "security by obscurity" mode of thinking. "If nobody knows how to break into the cockpit, then they're safe, right?"

Better off shining the light of day on any problems so they'll have pressure to fix it.

#181398 - 09/04/09 06:06 PM Re: new TV show to argue about: "Surviving Disaster" [Re: oldsoldier]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Loc: Northwest Florida
Originally Posted By: oldsoldier
I missed this show!!! I will have to see if I can find it online, and watch the new one next week.

If you can't find it elsewhere, let me know. At some point, I need to be forced to figure out how to download and copy stuff off my DVR.

#181402 - 09/04/09 06:36 PM Re: new TV show to argue about: "Surviving Disaster" [Re: GoatRider]
LoneWolf Offline

Originally Posted By: GoatRider
That's the old "security by obscurity" mode of thinking. "If nobody knows how to break into the cockpit, then they're safe, right?"

Better off shining the light of day on any problems so they'll have pressure to fix it.

Perhaps.

All I was trying to say is that we (meaning Joe Q. Public) don't necessarily need to know those kinds of things. Didn't mean to imply that we should bury our heads in the sand. I just don't know if a broadcast show like that is the best way to get the shortcomings out. Earlier in the program there was a security expert or somebody like that who was commenting along the lines of security being so much greater than before that any hijackers now would be much more sophisticated and prepared. By openly broadcasting those flaws, are we running the risk of giving the less sophisticated hijackers ideas? That was kind of the premise behind my comments. The same thing could be said about the knives they used. If it plants the idea in some bad guys head, I think that's a bad thing.

I guess the bottom line is that no matter how hard we try, we cannot protect everyone from everything. If someone wants to break into your house badly enough they will find a way no matter how many different flaws are pointed out to you in your home security. You can keep fixing them and having new ones pointed out to you and fixing them and having them pointed out to you and fixing them ...... The best thing you can do is to make it as difficult as possible for them. Then they go on their way.

LW

#181403 - 09/04/09 06:37 PM Re: new TV show to argue about: "Surviving Disaste [Re: LoneWolf]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: LoneWolf
...but does anyone else find it troubling that a television program would show in great detail how to get through a reinforced cockpit door?

I think the drink-cart-as-battering-ram is pretty well known to anyone thinking of breaching the cockpit. But now that you mention it, I remember that I was surprised that that aeronautical engineer guy actually admitted something to the effect that "if you apply enough force, the door may fail". (sorry, I don't remember any of the exact wording) I thought he'd say something more discouraging, like you'd have to drive a small car down that narrow plane aisle to have any chance of breaching the reinforced door. Obviously false, but maybe it'll discourage some loony who watches the show.

I sure hope that a real door is strong enough to take more than just two rams from a drink cart.

#181407 - 09/04/09 07:26 PM Re: new TV show to argue about: "Surviving Disaste [Re: Arney]
oldsoldier Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
My suggestion for Arneys comment is simple: design break-apart drink carts. they can be structurally sound how then need to be (vertically), but, when enough force is applied horizontally, say, when used as a ram, it buckles, comes apart, etc. Helluva lot cheaper than replacing doors...

#181411 - 09/04/09 07:43 PM Re: new TV show to argue about: "Surviving Disaste [Re: oldsoldier]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: oldsoldier
design break-apart drink carts

Brilliant!

Personally, I thought I could make a fortune by producing something like those spring-loaded stoppers that pops out of the bottom of your shopping cart at the supermarket when you cross that yellow line outside the door. I know that always stops me in my tracks. It's just gotta work with suicide hijackers and drink carts, too! wink

#181461 - 09/05/09 12:46 PM Re: new TV show to argue about: "Surviving Disaste [Re: oldsoldier]
UncleGoo Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: CT
Legos!

Page 5 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10 11 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 429 Guests and 467 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.