Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 10 of 11 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 >
Topic Options
#182347 - 09/16/09 10:39 AM Re: new TV show to argue about: "Surviving Disaste [Re: paramedicpete]
ki4buc Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Augusta, GA
I started watching "Surviving Disaster: Hurricane" last night on the DVR. I had to stop and go to bed. I tried watching the rest this morning but I just had to stop. The timings in the show and the use of the definition "landfall" are all off. You'd have plenty more time to get out if you were paying attention. Although, they were assuming you didn't pay attention ( and missed the roving evacuation announcements, etc ). Still, it seems overly dramatic for a hurricane. The "you're going to die in the next 5 seconds if you don't do this" worked well for the high-rise fire, but doesn't work so much for Hurricane.

#182355 - 09/16/09 02:14 PM Re: new TV show to argue about: "Surviving Disaste [Re: ki4buc]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
Agree with ki4buc. I stopped watching after the guy had his wrist slashed by flying debris. What were they doing outdoors during a hurricane in the first place? Too much drama there. Hurricanes have a lead time, and lead time should allow sensible people to Get Out of its Path. And there is a situation after every hurricane where we're reminded of this.

Since I didn't watch the rest, did they address aftermath issues - being prepared with food, water, maybe ice, first aid etc etc? Making sure to check on your neighbors to see they're alright? Turning out for some community clean up? What it's like to be without power for a week or more? Or did the show stop with the storm?

#182366 - 09/16/09 04:01 PM Re: new TV show to argue about: "Surviving Disaste [Re: Lono]
oldsoldier Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
I too watched it last night. Caught the hijack episode as well. I will no longer be watching this-it is WELL overdramatized. the whole "we have to treat this like a warzone" rhetoric REALLY threw me for a loop. And, happening upon an abandoned house? What about an occupied one? And random alligator attacks-I am wondering how many alligator attacks occured after Katrina? The water there posed the highest threat-raw sewage, dead animals, and something the DIDNT mention-manhole covers were floated off, creating nice little holes for people wading through the water. Get stuck in one of those, and drowning is pretty much guaranteed.

Lono, they did address it in the end, stating to seek out Red Cross camps that would likely be located near hospitals, FD/PD stations, and areas where people could gather (stadiums, etc). They did mention medical aid at these places, as well as food & water. So, they DID cover on that. That was about the brightest point in the show.
Not a fan...I gave it a go after 3 episodes...maybe I am just too jaded, but it always seems too hollywood for my taste.
Cody Lundin should do it!!!

#182386 - 09/16/09 08:11 PM Re: new TV show to argue about: "Surviving Disaste [Re: oldsoldier]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
I was just streaming the hurricane episode from the website and half-listening to the show. Didn't finish it, but it didn't sound all that interesting to me. Again, I'm approaching the show primarily as entertainment and even just as entertainment, it sounded boring to me. And Cade has about as much personality as an old tree stump. I thought maybe he'd get more likable after a few episodes, but that hasn't happened.

And I'm always annoyed by how the show has him telling everyone what to do. I would prefer if he explained something, but then everyone else would act as if he weren't there, without him barking orders like some drill sergeant.

#182395 - 09/17/09 12:04 AM Re: new TV show to argue about: "Surviving Disaste [Re: Arney]
Compugeek Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: San Diego, CA
Seriously weird: I programmed my DVR to record the Hurricane episode last night, and an episode of The Universe on a diff. channel.

I even confirmed the programming -- I am a master of screwing up VCR/DVD-R/DVR programming, and have learned to check TWICE.

I sat down tonight to watch it, and it's not there. The Universe is, but not Surviving Disaster.

Guess I'll (try to) record it tonight.

or not, they're showing Ultimate Fighter instead.

Edited by Compugeek (09/17/09 02:44 AM)

#182400 - 09/17/09 01:36 AM Re: new TV show to argue about: "Surviving Disaste [Re: Compugeek]
ki4buc Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Augusta, GA
I haven't finished watching it. So far, the High-Rise Fire episode seemed the best (for about the first ~25 minutes). When they start showing people how to climb out of a building using network cable, well, that's useful knowledge. But, hmm, yeah. The only bad part of that episode: They kind of failed to mention the whole shrink-wrap nature of synthetics. I wonder if that was to avoid an all-out revolt in Corporate America to ridiculous dress codes?

Which reminds me, I need to find some quality Corporate America wool clothes. I ran across a pair of nice black wool dress pants some time ago at Marshall's/T.J. Maxx. They are "Perry Ellis: Portfolio" pants. Very nice.

#182407 - 09/17/09 03:22 AM Re: new TV show to argue about: "Surviving Disaste [Re: ki4buc]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
Which reminds me, I need to find some quality Corporate America wool clothes.

A $100 wool suit cool although I must say I do like the $189 suit.

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (09/17/09 03:33 AM)

#182414 - 09/17/09 12:07 PM Re: new TV show to argue about: "Surviving Disaste [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor
Quote:
Which reminds me, I need to find some quality Corporate America wool clothes.

A $100 wool suit cool although I must say I do like the $189 suit.

Wow, those are nice. *sigh* It's time's like this that I regret being a giant. frown
-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#182415 - 09/17/09 12:25 PM Re: new TV show to argue about: "Surviving Disaste [Re: oldsoldier]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
Originally Posted By: oldsoldier
...and something the DIDNT mention-manhole covers were floated off, creating nice little holes for people wading through the water. Get stuck in one of those, and drowning is pretty much guaranteed....

Manhole covers were washed away?
That is a flood feature I never considered.
I wonder if there is an affordable fix for that, which a city facing floods might consider?

#182436 - 09/17/09 03:39 PM Re: new TV show to argue about: "Surviving Disaste [Re: scafool]
oldsoldier Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
It isnt something I thought of either. But, the force of the water in the underground system, when the storm suge hit, pushed most of them off. My boys were ALL advised to stay off the roads if possible. A couple of them fell in, but didnt go all the way down (their gear hung them up). It was most dangerous when the water was between ankle & knee deep-deep enough not to see it missing, but not enough water to slow you down enough to react in time.

Page 10 of 11 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 325 Guests and 52 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.