Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 11 of 11 < 1 2 ... 9 10 11
Topic Options
#182505 - 09/18/09 02:25 AM Re: new TV show to argue about: "Surviving Disaste [Re: scafool]
ki4buc Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Augusta, GA
Originally Posted By: scafool
Originally Posted By: oldsoldier
...and something the DIDNT mention-manhole covers were floated off, creating nice little holes for people wading through the water. Get stuck in one of those, and drowning is pretty much guaranteed....

Manhole covers were washed away?
That is a flood feature I never considered.
I wonder if there is an affordable fix for that, which a city facing floods might consider?

That's what you get when your order the plywood or plastic ones! wink

#182514 - 09/18/09 06:11 AM Re: new TV show to argue about: "Surviving Disaste [Re: ki4buc]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
Originally Posted By: ki4buc
Originally Posted By: scafool
Originally Posted By: oldsoldier
...and something the DIDNT mention-manhole covers were floated off, creating nice little holes for people wading through the water. Get stuck in one of those, and drowning is pretty much guaranteed....

Manhole covers were washed away?
That is a flood feature I never considered.
I wonder if there is an affordable fix for that, which a city facing floods might consider?

That's what you get when your order the plywood or plastic ones! wink

That's what you get when the sewage / drainage system is totally flooded and pressurized. The high pressure in the drainage system will pop out even cast iron manhole covers.

#182554 - 09/18/09 06:01 PM Re: new TV show to argue about: "Surviving Disaste [Re: MostlyHarmless]
ki4buc Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Augusta, GA
Originally Posted By: MostlyHarmless

That's what you get when the sewage / drainage system is totally flooded and pressurized. The high pressure in the drainage system will pop out even cast iron manhole covers.

yeah, I failed in trying to make it clearer I was joking! The show did say "stay out of the flood waters". That's right before the random alligator attack.

#182630 - 09/19/09 02:43 PM Re: new TV show to argue about: "Surviving Disaste [Re: ki4buc]
Compugeek Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: San Diego, CA
Okay, finally saw it (online).

I'll give him point for a plausible scenario for how they ended up caught in it in the first place.

Why didn't they just go to that nearby bridge to cross the river? They're on foot, they can get through ANY traffic jam. (I know it was to show how to cross a fast river, but still . . . .)

I liked the info on how a layman should do a swiftwater rescue -- from land!

I liked that the tourniquet info reflected the current thinking I've been finding ("once you put one on, leave it alone!"), and explained why. I like "why"'s.

The "treat high winds like a raging gun battle" was good.

I'm glad he said the house was abandoned. Even if a life depended on it, I would be very reluctant to break into a house that was simply closed up and the occupants evacuated.

My "oh, duh!" was "a gallon of buoyancy will float 8 pounds." A gallon of water weighs 8 lbs (actually 8.3 smile ), so, of course, a gallon of air will give 8 lbs of buoyancy. <head smack!>

We don't get many hurricanes (or even typhoons) in San Diego, but there was still a lot of good, usable info, applicable to many situations.

#185782 - 10/18/09 05:39 PM Re: new TV show to argue about: "Surviving Disaste [Re: Compugeek]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

Did anyone see the recent episode about dealing with an active shooter situation? I only saw the first 10 minutes or so but what I did see jived with the training I've had:

- exit the kill zone ASAP
- difference between cover and concealment
- avoid bunching up with other people
- bounding movement from cover to cover

I had to leave before seeing the rest though.

Page 11 of 11 < 1 2 ... 9 10 11

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle, NAro), 354 Guests and 88 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.