Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 8 of 11 < 1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 >
Topic Options
#181828 - 09/09/09 07:00 PM Re: new TV show to argue about: "Surviving Disaste [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
oldsoldier Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
Am, I certainly agree with using some sort of barrier-I just cannot bring myself to think that soaking myself down would be safe...I have visions of poached veggies in my head!!!

Arney, I agree with you there as well-I think the post its were purely for them. However, I would think in the heat, the glue would liquify & run-taking the note with it. And, finding them again, in a likely near-panic, blinded by smoke (lets face it, you will NOT be able to see, and, as sight is our primary sense, most of us would likely be borderline panicking once lost), may be near impossible. MY opinion is that its more of a placebo than anything else. I have been inside a couple of burning buildings, one an apartment directly above me, where only curtains were on fire. The whole apt was filled with smoke. Even with being familiar with the layout, crawling through thick smoke is VERY intimidating & disorienting. I foolishly went in to get their cat-who, as soon as the bedroom door opened, took off running....

#181829 - 09/09/09 07:24 PM Re: new TV show to argue about: "Surviving Disaste [Re: oldsoldier]
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NW NJ
Wetting down bunker gear is apparently the wrong thing to do. But most of us don't wear bunker gear to work.

If it is hot enough to boil the water in your street clothing, it is hot enough to melt synthetic clothing, and it is certainly hot enough to boil the water in your SKIN!

"Never trust and engineer who doesn't carry a pocketknife."

#181831 - 09/09/09 07:39 PM Re: new TV show to argue about: "Surviving Disaste [Re: thseng]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Fortunately, wool isn't synthetic, neither is cotton. The synthetic clothing I wear at work is nomex with nomex, cotton or wool underlayers.

#181832 - 09/09/09 07:44 PM Re: new TV show to argue about: "Surviving Disaste [Re: thseng]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Loc: Northwest Florida
Bunker gear has a vapor liner and insulation, and routinely get wet. Most artificial fabric has a low melting point, and it tends to turn into burning goo that melts into your flesh.

But wool, silk or even cotton is surprisingly thermally resistant, at least for very short exposures. Water reduces that resistance and wetted out fabric transports thermal energy through the fabric faster and more efficiently than the dry fabric fibers and the air pockets between them do. The moisture can convert to steam, as well. Wet fabrics are slower to ignite for precisely these reasons.

There is a simple experiment you can do. Take two identical fabric samples and wet one of them. Place them in a very hot dryer or under a very hot iron for an equal length of time, then drape each one over opposite forearms. While not a perfect model, it will adequately convey the idea.

#181834 - 09/09/09 08:20 PM Re: new TV show to argue about: "Surviving Disaste [Re: Arney]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: Arney
I'm was surprised that there wasn't any mention of any sheltering-in-place techniques.

So, would anyone else prefer to bust out a window and rappel down several floors using ethernet cable to reach a jump-able height or would you shelter-in-place, stuff wet rags under the door, wet down the door/walls, telephone or signal to fire fighters, and wait for rescue? (And we're assuming that both emergency exits are blocked at this point)

This is certainly one aspect of the episode that reminded me of something Bear would demonstrate, like using thick jungle vines to rappel down a waterfall.

#181835 - 09/09/09 08:41 PM Re: new TV show to argue about: "Surviving Disaste [Re: Arney]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Loc: Northwest Florida
I love it when he gets all Bear-y on us! I'm inclined to shelter in place until that becomes completely untenable. I'm also more likely to try dangling outside below the window, if that gets me clear of enough heat and smoke, than rappel. But I'm much more likely to just be another casualty if trapped in a hi-rise fire.

#181836 - 09/09/09 08:45 PM Re: new TV show to argue about: "Surviving Disaste [Re: Arney]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
So, would anyone else prefer to bust out a window and rappel down several floors using ethernet cable to reach a jump-able height

I wouldn't have thought that those little plastic clips on the RJ45 connectors that keep the Ethernet cable in the Computer NICs from falling out would be able to take the strain. laugh

#181840 - 09/09/09 09:20 PM Re: new TV show to argue about: "Surviving Disaste [Re: Jeff_M]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: Jeff_M
You guys are right, the days of passengers sitting passively by as hijackers take over the plane/guided missile are probably over.

I was just reading a brief news report about this AeroMexico hijacking that is resolved. Apparently none of the passengers even knew that the plane had been hijacked until they were on the ground and saw all the police vehicles.

Well, that's one way to avoid an angry uprising of passengers--hijack the plane quietly. Shhhh.

#181843 - 09/09/09 09:56 PM Re: new TV show to argue about: "Surviving Disaste [Re: Arney]
oldsoldier Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
Yes, I saw that as well. Apparently they let all the passengers off before announcing their intentions...

#181848 - 09/09/09 10:52 PM Re: new TV show to argue about: "Surviving Disaste [Re: oldsoldier]
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Loc: Virginia, US
The full episode of "Surviving Disaster: Fire" is online aT Spike TV.

Page 8 of 11 < 1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 391 Guests and 75 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.