Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#181747 - 09/09/09 01:34 AM Re: Cheapest urban survival caches? [Re: dweste]
sotto Offline
Addict

In order to further the hobby, I think many or most geocachers try to act responsibly. Nevertheless, the info on that site (or others) may provide some useful ideas for creative individuals wanting or needing to hide something "in plain sight". Quite amazingly, property owners, and the public at large, generally don't have a clue that geocaches are there.

#181752 - 09/09/09 01:47 AM Re: Cheapest urban survival caches? [Re: dweste]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
Originally Posted By: dweste
Ok, how do geocacher's hide something so you can find it later?

They put very detailed instructions on the web!
*evil grin*.

Tips for harder caches are off the beaten path, in thorny bushes, near/around poison oak/ivy/etc... up cliff ledges, etc. All would not lead to most people looking!!

#181753 - 09/09/09 02:00 AM Re: Cheapest urban survival caches? [Re: sotto]
yelp Offline

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: sotto
People who are into geocaching get involved in this all the time--making and camoflaging caches, hiding the caches, finding the caches...some as big as 50 cal. ammo boxes.

So if we wanted to cache pocket-carry items like water tabs and contractor bags, we could hypothetically disguise them as a geocache along with a bunch of useless toys and audio CDs. Not much is going to fit into a geocache (I'm a letterboxer, and thus consider myself morally above geocaching - letterboxing requires much more thought and, indeed, one to be more clever grin).

So the question remains: What do you want to stash, how much of it, and for how long? Unless we're going to stray toward the unlawful, anything that's going to fit into a hypothetical geocache could just as easily be carried with you.

#181758 - 09/09/09 02:42 AM Re: Cheapest urban survival caches? [Re: yelp]
2005RedTJ Offline
Addict

Loc: Birmingham, Alabama
I hadn't thought much about that aspect. Geocaching (which I'm also involved in) would lend itself toward teaching you a lot about hiding things in plain sight.

Some Geocaches are right out in the open. There's one near my house that I know I walked right past hundreds of times before I got into Geocaching and discovered it. Had it not been for seeing it listed online, with GPS coordinates (and even a hint), I'd have never guessed it was there.

Some of them are ammo can-sized or even larger, but these are generally not hidden where they'd be found easily or freak someone out. Most of the plain sight ones are very small, I've found one that was about as big around as a pencil and maybe 1" long.

#181762 - 09/09/09 02:59 AM Re: Cheapest urban survival caches? [Re: yelp]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Realistically speaking, it would be difficult for me to pick a cache site that would be useful because I really couldn't predict where I would be and where I would be passing through. If past experience is any indication, I would NEVER be in the vicinity of a cache!

But it occurs to me that if you did have a place where you wanted to bury something in the ground, a metal detector might be a way to do it. People see someone with a metal detector and a shovel, and they either think he's not going to find anything THERE, or they wander over and ask if he's found anything interesting. You could point to a small pile of useless artifacts (beer can, bent fork, two corroded old pennies, a small broken piece of badly rusted galvanized pipe, etc). They smile, shake their heads, wish you good luck, and wander off with their hands in their pockets.

The fact that you sit down on a 5-gallon bucket to rest occasionally wouldn't attract attention, and if the bucket disappeared about the same time you were carefully filling in your holes so no one would fall in them and get hurt.....

But the friend's house is probably still the best place. You could even bury it there. False pet graves could be a good place, and could could even provide a concrete marker: "R.I.P. Fluffy, 1997-2009". Or, "Jim Quackenbush, died of Cholera".

Sue

#181764 - 09/09/09 03:14 AM Re: Cheapest urban survival caches? [Re: Susan]
yelp Offline

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: Susan
Realistically speaking, it would be difficult for me to pick a cache site that would be useful because I really couldn't predict where I would be and where I would be passing through. If past experience is any indication, I would NEVER be in the vicinity of a cache!

Ain't that the truth? Basically the reason I've never spent much time with making and storing caches.

Now, with respect to geocaching...

//smacks forehead

DUH! Thanks for putting up with my being obtuse. Part of the utility of a very small (but easy to get to) cache would be to hold small items that are potentially very useful but not necessary in an urban day-to-day existence (I mentioned water tabs and contractor bags, just to start the list).

But I'm still sticking with my 5 gallon buckets, especially since that helps my friends be prepared. I just hope they don't try to use gas in the alcohol stove...especially indoors.

#181765 - 09/09/09 03:15 AM Re: Cheapest urban survival caches? [Re: 2005RedTJ]
big_al Offline
Addict

Loc: 20mi east of San Diego
if you got a lot of "stuff" try a cemrtery grin

#181773 - 09/09/09 05:12 AM Re: Cheapest urban survival caches? [Re: Susan]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
Originally Posted By: Susan

But it occurs to me that if you did have a place where you wanted to bury something in the ground, a metal detector might be a way to do it. People see someone with a metal detector and a shovel, and they either think he's not going to find anything THERE, or they wander over and ask if he's found anything interesting. You could point to a small pile of useless artifacts (beer can, bent fork, two corroded old pennies, a small broken piece of badly rusted galvanized pipe, etc). They smile, shake their heads, wish you good luck, and wander off with their hands in their pockets.

The fact that you sit down on a 5-gallon bucket to rest occasionally wouldn't attract attention, and if the bucket disappeared about the same time you were carefully filling in your holes so no one would fall in them and get hurt.....

But the friend's house is probably still the best place. You could even bury it there. False pet graves could be a good place, and could could even provide a concrete marker: "R.I.P. Fluffy, 1997-2009". Or, "Jim Quackenbush, died of Cholera".

Sue

Now that is good!

#181774 - 09/09/09 05:26 AM Re: Cheapest urban survival caches? [Re: Todd W]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

May not be what dweste wnats, but here goes

http://www.alpharubicon.com/prepinfo/disposablecachelrrp.htm

#181856 - 09/10/09 12:00 AM Re: Cheapest urban survival caches? [Re: Chisel]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Not any impressive responses but perhaps, with terrorist concerns in mind, understandable that those who know do not want to share any ideas with the world. Maybe a bad question to pose. My bad.

Edited by dweste (09/10/09 12:00 AM)

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.