The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#181583 - 09/07/09 03:57 AM Re: Wild animal attack preparation [Re: Desperado]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Desperado
You REALLLLYYYY don't want pepper spray to cook off inside a vehicle. Be there done that. One less MP scout car in the motor pool.

Can you imagine if you were driving a car at 70 mph in traffic and surrounded by heavily loaded trucks when the bear spray lets go? The pucker factor would tend to rise a bit.

Such sprays should be transported with the safety taped or wired down, double-bagged in plastic garbage bags with the air pressed out, perhaps with something absorbent, like towels, in each bag. Cans of spray can also let go if they overheat so keep them as cool as possible.

Many years ago SOP with some military units that carried spray was to keep it in an ammo can bolted to the rear bumper. That way any leaks were down-wind while driving.

#181585 - 09/07/09 04:14 AM Re: Wild animal attack preparation [Re: Art_in_FL]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
Just from curiosity is bear spray as strong as pepper spray or is less strong.

I always thought the only real difference was in how fast the can empties when you trigger it.
Bear spray puts out a big cloud of spray real fast.

#181587 - 09/07/09 05:03 AM Re: Wild animal attack preparation [Re: scafool]
Tom_L Offline
Addict

Quote:
How many people facing a predator remember to check which way the wind is blowing before they use their pepper spray, or have time to check? Finding yourself downwind of the pepper spray could incapacitate you more than the predator, and result more in a seasoning effect than a repellent effect.

IMHO that's a little academic. If you do happen to be attacked by a predator there's probably going to be very little time and checking the wind direction wouldn't be that high on my to-do list.

But I think it's largely a moot point. Even in a small pepper spray can the pressure is so high the stream can easily reach about 12 to 15ft. Bear spray has even better range. Unless there happens to be a tornado coming in your direction whatever attacker you spray within reasonable range is going to get a whole lot more of the nasty stuff in their face than you.

From what training I've done the person using pepper spray is likely to inhale a very little bit no matter what but it's not going to seriously affect you. Also remember, once you start spraying walk back slowly. it will help create some more distance between you and the threat, giving you more opportunity to hit him with everything you've got and it also reduces the chance of getting any of the spray in your face.

#181589 - 09/07/09 05:12 AM Re: Wild animal attack preparation [Re: Tom_L]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
The problems I have seen with bear spray have all been from people with no experience using them.
Bear spray is like anything else. You need to practice with it before you need it.

(I might need some more volunteers to act like bears too)

#181597 - 09/07/09 12:59 PM Re: Wild animal attack preparation [Re: scafool]
fasteer Offline
Journeyman

Loc: away
Bear-spray works on any mammal & is stronger than the pepper spray for use against mere humans.

Interesting reading on the subject:
http://www.absc.usgs.gov/research/brownbears/pepperspray/pepperspray.htm

BC boy recovering after being attacked by cougar in Washington state
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/090903/national/cougar_attack_7

#181609 - 09/07/09 03:15 PM Re: Wild animal attack preparation [Re: Susan]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

Loc: ventura county, ca
Originally Posted By: Susan
"... Cougar attacks are like being struck by lightning ..."

From NOAA: Four hundred people get struck by lightning every year. Between 1997 and 2006, 437 people in the United States died from lightning strikes.

* In California, from 1986 through 1998, exactly two people died from mountain lion attacks, whereas in one year alone, over 4,000 people died in traffic accidents, including 800 pedestrians. This means that your car or someone else's car is ~2,000 times more likely to kill you than is a mountain lion. (A Detailed Calculation gives the ratio as between 1,150 and 4,300.)

* Over 300 people have been killed by domestic dogs in the U.S. between 1979 and the late 1990s. This means that your family dog or your neighbor's dog is ten times more likely to kill you than is a mountain lion and hundreds of time more likely than is a coyote.

now if by "lightning" the meaning is "fast", then yes, a cougar attack is like lightning. they get you from behind, as previously described - you'll not see it coming.

imho bears are typically seen before an attack - if even for a few seconds.

Originally Posted By: Susan

What about carrying one of those smallish airhorns instead of (or in addition to) pepper spray? You could conceivably use it even if your head was in a cougar's mouth.

that's what we carry - upwind / downwind doesn't matter. you're hoping to make a sound louder - and hopefully more intimidating - than they can. deer don't make that sound. you want them to think twice before they commit to trying you for lunch.

#181613 - 09/07/09 04:00 PM Re: Wild animal attack preparation [Re: Tom_L]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
"Even in a small pepper spray can the pressure is so high the stream can easily reach about 12 to 15ft. Bear spray has even better range. Unless there happens to be a tornado coming in your direction whatever attacker you spray within reasonable range is going to get a whole lot more of the nasty stuff in their face than you."

A bear can move at speeds up to 35mph. Assuming that the bear will be/stay 12-15 ft away might be an error. If you use it when the bear is close to you, you might well be incapacitated by your own weapon.

I think I'll stick with the air horn. Being temporarily deafened probably won't hinder my speed in leaving the area as having my upper mucous membranes contaminated with pepper.

Another useful weapon would be one of those hand-held marine flares. Also useful as a signalling device and firestarter! grin

#181614 - 09/07/09 04:04 PM Re: Wild animal attack preparation [Re: bsmith]
Tom_L Offline
Addict

Quote:
* In California, from 1986 through 1998, exactly two people died from mountain lion attacks, whereas in one year alone, over 4,000 people died in traffic accidents, including 800 pedestrians. This means that your car or someone else's car is ~2,000 times more likely to kill you than is a mountain lion. (A Detailed Calculation gives the ratio as between 1,150 and 4,300.)

Don't take it as a personal attack, but what you're suggesting here is based on a totally flawed premise. One thing has nothing to do with the other. Virtually everyone is involved in traffic daily. Comparatively VERY few people venture out into mountain lion terrain however and those that do for the most part don't do it on a daily basis. So statistically your principle is unsound because there are naturally going to be far more people hurt in traffic accidents than out in the bush. But that does not necessarily mean your chances of getting mauled by a mountain lion are really that low statistically.

Now your logic would make more sense if you actually knew just how many people on average do enter mountain lion terrain annually, then calculating the percentages.

#181618 - 09/07/09 04:20 PM Re: Wild animal attack preparation [Re: Susan]
Tom_L Offline
Addict

Quote:
A bear can move at speeds up to 35mph. Assuming that the bear will be/stay 12-15 ft away might be an error. If you use it when the bear is close to you, you might well be incapacitated by your own weapon.

Nobody is assuming anything. If a bear does charge you at 35mph at short range you're probably toast anyway unless you're sitting in something armor plated weighing at least a few tons. I'm pretty sure most people could hit a moving target with bear spray a lot more consistently than with a firearm, though.

The same goes for incapacitating yourself. It seems to me a lot of people who have reservations about bear spray have never tested it before. I'm not saying it's a be all, end all solution but it does have a very good track effort considering the circumstances. With just a little bit of training I believe most people could use bear spray more effectively in an emergency than a firearm. Other than that, there aren't that many decent options left. Things like axes, knives or flares really belong into the last ditch category IMHO. YMMV. wink

#181621 - 09/07/09 04:30 PM Re: Wild animal attack preparation [Re: Tom_L]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
I agree with you Tom_L, I have used bear spray a few times in training and managed to not contaminate myself. The time I was directly sprayed it was on purpose.

I did hear a story from a co-worker where bear spray was used to deter a bear on a campsite, the spray drifted downwind and the people on a distant campsite took an attack of coughing (not serious in this case).

Mike

Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 444 Guests and 28 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.