The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#181536 - 09/06/09 06:15 PM Re: Wild animal attack preparation [Re: Todd W]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
Right, most cougar attacks are done from behind and lightening quick. Bear spray, pepper spray, knife, firearm are only as effective as the ability to access said item when attacked. The best weapon is to not be alone and aid the victim by using a large branch or rocks to beat off the attacker.

Even groups are subjective to cougar attacks. In several instances in California a cougar was attacking mountain bikers, always going for the last person in the group. i believe this happen two times with serious injuries to the victim before the cougar was killed. One bikers death was attributed to the cougar and had been solo.

#181538 - 09/06/09 06:46 PM Re: Wild animal attack preparation [Re: comms]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
While most cougar attacks are in areas next to the human/wild
interface where they have lost their fear of humans (read
Beast in the Garden), this attack was in one of the more remote
spots in the lower 48. I saw a wolf on that trail about 30 years
ago when it wanted a closer look at a lab pup that was hiking
with us. They recently released some Grizzlies in the same area
just north of the border.

There have been other cougar attacks in this general area and also some
shot for being menacing and stalking people. One was hanging out
around the school in Colville watching the kids.

Cougar attacks are like being struck by lightning, there is a very
low probability of occurance unless you are standing on a peak in an electrical storm.

#181546 - 09/06/09 08:19 PM Re: Wild animal attack preparation [Re: clearwater]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
"... Cougar attacks are like being struck by lightning ..."

From NOAA: Four hundred people get struck by lightning every year. Between 1997 and 2006, 437 people in the United States died from lightning strikes.

Perhaps a different simile would be better?

And the difference between rare and never can be terminal.

What about carrying one of those smallish airhorns instead of (or in addition to) pepper spray? You could conceivably use it even if your head was in a cougar's mouth.

How many people facing a predator remember to check which way the wind is blowing before they use their pepper spray, or have time to check? Finding yourself downwind of the pepper spray could incapacitate you more than the predator, and result more in a seasoning effect than a repellent effect.

As to the people in the link of the original post here, why were they wandering around, separated? It would seem that a cougar might be discouraged by a group of four.

A little more common sense might change 'rare' to 'never'.

#181548 - 09/06/09 08:49 PM Re: Wild animal attack preparation [Re: Yuccahead]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: Yuccahead
Another thing to consider is to paint or glue something that looks like eyes on the back of your hat. I recall reading that this was very effective in reducing tiger attacks in National Parks in India.

Yeah. You read it in "Calvin & Hobbes"

laugh

#181550 - 09/06/09 09:12 PM Re: Wild animal attack preparation [Re: comms]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
There's a YouTube video, I hate it when folks don't post a link, just a sec. . . Wilderness Survival: Building a Survival Kit... About 45 minutes into the lecture he starts discussing interacting with wildlife. At time 52:25 he starts talking Mountain Lions.
Quote:
"A Mountain Lion's model of the world is, everything is a deer or some derivative of a deer."
"The more you look like a deer, the more you look good."
Good discussion/lecture on the subject.

#181559 - 09/06/09 10:12 PM Re: Wild animal attack preparation [Re: Russ]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
one of the places i canoe is the Boundary Waters Canoe Area in Northern Minnesota.%80 of my trips are solo.in 25 years i have seen maybe 3 bears and one was on the dirt road on the way to the outfitters bunkhouse.all you read about on the BW forums is BEARS!!!..but no one has every had a problem bear outside a well used campsite near the trail head--or in the case of canoes the landings..none on the portage carrys,in the woods bushwhacking to a remote lake--so on.Bill Mason of canoe fame in Canada said you seldom see large animals in the forest.think hunters, all the work they do to even find something and get close for a shot.having said that--i keep a pepper spray out in the camp and a small one in my pocket on the portages as a security blanket.just my luck i would be the 1 in a 10,000 to get dragged off by a nutzy bear.

HELLO--hello!!!..anyone down there??..hello?

Edited by CANOEDOGS (09/06/09 10:17 PM)

#181561 - 09/06/09 10:35 PM Re: Wild animal attack preparation [Re: CANOEDOGS]
2005RedTJ Offline
Addict

Loc: Birmingham, Alabama
I don't know much about bear spray, since I live in Alabama. But for any decent-sized animal, I think my .45 should work fairly well. The first round may not kill a bear-sized animal, but it should slow it down pretty well to allow me to squeeze off the other 20 rounds.

And I'm fairly sure that not much on this planet will keep coming after 21 rounds of .45acp 230-grain HydraShok. Maybe a moose or elephant, but my chances of running into one of those around here are pretty slim.

#181564 - 09/06/09 11:26 PM Re: Wild animal attack preparation [Re: raptor]
2005RedTJ Offline
Addict

Loc: Birmingham, Alabama
Originally Posted By: raptor
If I were hiking in an area with occurence of dangerous animals I would take with me a small lightweight torch in addition to a bear spray. (By torch I donīt mean flashlight.) Plus some lighter that can be quickly used with one hand to light up the torch. I havenīt tested if it would be sufficient deterrent but I would rather have even a small fire in between me and the animal than nothing.

If you havenīt come across this yet this is interesting story: http://ngadventure.typepad.com/blog/2008/02/avalanches-esca.html - first comment (at the bottom).

Quote:
Face-to-Face with a Buffalo

This is not fiction &#8211; do not try this anywhere, anytime! You can not even start to imagine how very lucky I am to be alive to tell this story. Jim Bolton

Space Shuttle Solid Rocket Motors are manufactured by ATK ( http://www.atk.com ) outside of Brigham City Utah. I was on a travel assignment to ATK for a four day training course...

That's a really good read. Thanks for posting it.

#181575 - 09/07/09 02:41 AM Re: Wild animal attack preparation [Re: Susan]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
I have been pepper sprayed; I was a slobbering, crying idiot for 45 minutes before I was able to get enough water on me to clear the stuff. That was 11 years ago and I remember it like it was this morning, very hot stuff and even worse if you are contaminated in the presence of a large aggressive predator.

I was in the Canadian Rockies this summer and noticed many hikers carrying pepper spray. What concerned me was that they were not very careful where or how they carried it. If the can ever discharged in an enclosed space or while operating a vehicle the results could be far worse than the threat of wildlife attack.

I carry pepper spray daily because it is effective, but like all dangerous tools you just need to respect it.

Mike

#181577 - 09/07/09 02:49 AM Re: Wild animal attack preparation [Re: SwampDonkey]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
You REALLLLYYYY don't want pepper spray to cook off inside a vehicle. Be there done that. One less MP scout car in the motor pool.

RIP OBG

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.