Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#181235 - 09/03/09 12:54 PM My house/bob-FAK (aka: finally got a packrat!!)
JIM Offline
Old Hand

Loc: The Netherlands
When I joined ETS about 3 years ago, I was extremely interested in Ironraven's 'Medrat' which he used as a FAK. and desperately wanted to own one myself.. AND NOW I HAVE ONE!!!! laugh

This kit is used as our family's home FAK and it will also go with us in a bugout-scenario. The emphasis is mainly on medical, not so much on trauma. There are seperate trauma kits in the house and cars as well.

My Packrat/Medrat in coyote tan:

As you can see I replaced the original zipperpulls with blaze orange paracord for easy identification. I've got a black carrying-strap which I guess could be used as an improvised tourniquet using the 'windlass-method'.

On one side I've mounted an Countycomm SOLED.

Opposite side has got an AMBU-lifekey CPR-barrier.

Backpouch has a dutch first-aid reference guide.

Medrat opened.

Everything is labeled as much as possible.

- 2 ABD-pads
- 6 Gauze pads 4x4
- 2 aluminium coated gauze pads
- quart ziplock
- 4 vaseline gauze 4x4
- 2 Water-jel dressings 4x4
- packet of Moleskin (3 sheets) and some compeed blister patches
- hand santizer
- ACE-bandage
- camphor-spray (for feet)
- Sawyer-type extractor with cups
- Azaron insect sting relief
- sting-wipes (to restock smaller kits)
- tick-tweezers
- tweezers
- super-glue
- click-away itch relief
- fresnel lens

- piece of plastic-coated cardboard (gives regidity to kit, but could be used as a small splint if needed.
- drugbag (discussed later)
- triangulair bandage with safety pin
- 2 small gauze rolls
- aftersun lotion
- obout 10 2x3 gauze pads
- ziplock with steri-strips and tincture of benzoin
- 2 pairs of gloves in small ziplocks
- 3 tongue depressors
- betadine ointment
- hydrocortisone cream
- chlorine-hexidine digluconate liquid
- 3M Durapore tape
- adhesive bandages
- aluminium coated bandages
- fingertip-bandages
- fine-pointed scissors
- small sachets of Water-jel (for restocking smaller kits)
- sterile scalpel
- thermometer with probe-covers
- safety razor

The drugbag. I only unclude basic medications. simple stuff like acethminophen and antacids are in the regulair medicine cabinet, but are unlikely to be taken along when bugging out. All meds are in a small ziplock bag which is labeled with the condition for which the medication is needed.

- Ranitidine (Zantac) as anti-acid and combined wih benadryl for allergic reactions
- O.R.S. for rehydration
- Chorinehexidine tablets for soar throat
- Cinnarizine for motion sickness
- Naproxen as anti-inflammatory/analgesic
- Immodium for diarrhea
- Ibuprofen for inflammation/analgesic
- Benadryl for allergic reactions

Yes, I know ibuprofen and nurofen are the same, but my mom swears by it and no other med will do, so I included them as well..

So, here it is. Your feedback is very welcome!

#181274 - 09/03/09 05:23 PM Re: My house/bob-FAK (aka: finally got a packrat!!) [Re: NightHiker]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I have a Pack Rat that I use it for other stuff, but I really like the way it opens up for the FAK pictured above. Very nice, thinking. . .

#181314 - 09/03/09 09:51 PM Re: My house/bob-FAK (aka: finally got a packrat!!) [Re: JIM]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Hey Jim, your 'Rat looks good. A nice mix of "oh no" and "ah man" levels of damage.

What are the aluminumed gauze pads for?

And you are seeing the trend with the PackRat already- it gets pudgy.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#181330 - 09/04/09 12:44 AM Re: My house/bob-FAK (aka: finally got a packrat!!) [Re: ironraven]
Compugeek Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: San Diego, CA
Sweet.

Where you'd get the various sizes of small zip bags?

#181339 - 09/04/09 02:14 AM Re: My house/bob-FAK (aka: finally got a packrat!!) [Re: Compugeek]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Not sure where Jim got his, but I get mine at a hardware and oddities store where my folks live. I've got 2x2, 2x3, 3x5, and 4x6. I've also seen them in craft stores.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#181342 - 09/04/09 03:35 AM Re: My house/bob-FAK (aka: finally got a packrat!!) [Re: ironraven]
sperry Offline
Stranger

Loc: VA
I would love to throw that kit in my work truck. Does anyone has a guesstimate on total cost for materials?? I'll take the guesstimate for now instead of trying to source the materials from all over the place.

Feel free to PM to keep the replies down.

TIA,
Sean

#181345 - 09/04/09 03:52 AM Re: My house/bob-FAK (aka: finally got a packrat!!) [Re: sperry]
barbakane Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Florida
Does anyone carry hemostats in their FAK's? I have some I used to use in my model building days, and think they would make a great addition to an FAK, but was wondering if they are worth carrying.

#181354 - 09/04/09 10:05 AM Re: My house/bob-FAK (aka: finally got a packrat!!) [Re: JIM]
Cauldronborn Offline
Journeyman

Loc: UK
Hi JIM

Great looking kit, but I've got to ask a question were do get your gauze pad's and rolls from?

I'm only guessing here but since your in the netherlands and I'm in the uk there should'nt be a problem with shiping

#181363 - 09/04/09 11:59 AM Re: My house/bob-FAK (aka: finally got a packrat!!) [Re: Cauldronborn]
JIM Offline
Old Hand

Loc: The Netherlands
Let's see people:

- Definately a good idea on the SAM-splint nighthiker.
- Total costs: between $100-150,- including Packrat
- Aluminium dressings are non-adherent and reduce the infection-risk. Can be used on burns, abrasions.
- Gauze rolls and pads can be purchased at your local pharmacy. If you really want the 'Kerlix' brand in the UK, your best bet would be Ebay. But it isn't gonna be cheap.

#181373 - 09/04/09 01:57 PM Re: My house/bob-FAK (aka: finally got a packrat!!) [Re: JIM]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
I have hemostats in my home and car FAK, though I expect them to rust before using to clamp bleeding. I did use one to remove a hookish piece of metal from my son's thumb a couple years ago.

On buying bulk medical supplies, there's a sticky over at Zombiehunters.org in their First Aid section which has some good leads on sources according to specific supplies. I bit the bullet and bought a case (100 rolls? 250 rolls?) of Kerlix or Kerlix type gauze, knowing I could use it, some other folks on CERT could use some, it won't go sour, and if I had to buy a couple rolls at a time at a pharmacy I might as well have bought a case up front and saved some $$. In case lots kerlix pencils out cheap(er).

Office Depot and other office supply stores also have the smaller zip bags. Handy for hiking too (easy to disperse a bag of 100 among Scouts).

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 449 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.