Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#181900 - 09/10/09 02:04 PM Re: Is Your RSK Mk5 Sheath Too Loose? [Re: Bear_Claw_Chris_Lapp]
Mike_H Offline
Addict

Loc: SE PA
Doug,

Thanks for being on top of this. Once again, it shows the commitment that you and CRKT have to make and promote quality products!

Mike

#182622 - 09/19/09 11:16 AM Re: Is Your RSK Mk5 Sheath Too Loose? [Re: Mike_H]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
Well, I finally got around to testing the sheaths on my two Mk5's.

One was amazingly loose - it couldn't even move the can.

The other was tighter - it could almost lift the can - but not quite.

Thanks for the heads up Doug. Who ever came up with that test is to be commended. Simple and repeatable.

Ken

#183908 - 10/01/09 04:08 PM Re: Is Your RSK Mk5 Sheath Too Loose? [Re: KenK]
brian Offline
Veteran

Loc: Texas
I received two MK5s in the mail today. One for the kit and one for my pocket. I figure that if I'm going to stick one in my kit then I should carry one around (as EDC) for at least a couple months, so I'm thoroughly familiar with it.

My first impressions of the knives are very good. They feel extremely substantial for knives of their size. I have a buck Hartsook that is slightly too big for the kit even without it's sheath (it's way too big with the sheath), and the MK5s, although smaller, feel much more durable, robust, strong... The MK5 certainly feels much more like the type of knife I want in the woods (or the city for that matter) when something goes wrong which requires me to get into my kit for a backup knife.

They both came sharp enough to shave with although I reprofiled and resharpened the one that I put in the kit, anyway. Mostly I just did this so that the knife would have one of my natural hand-sharpening angles on it. I figure this way if the next time I sharpen it is after something has gone wrong which required me to get into my kit for a backup knife and use it to the point of needing a resharpening with the small diamond hone that it also in my kit, then it will have a profile that I know so well I could probably touch it up in the dark with one hand. wink

The only one of my first impressions that is not good was actually not with the knives at all, but rather with the sheaths. Both sheaths are extremely loose. I did the Coke Zero test and both sheaths failed miserably. Neither one would move the can even a little bit. But, I have emailed CRKT as per Doug's instructions, and now wait for a reply. For the record though, I used a can of Diet Dr. Pepper. I also did not disclose that information to CRKT, so they may think that I used Coke Zero! shocked

Edited by brian (10/01/09 04:11 PM)
Edit Reason: Correcting my type-o's and bad grammar.

#184358 - 10/05/09 06:33 PM Re: Is Your RSK Mk5 Sheath Too Loose? [Re: brian]
brian Offline
Veteran

Loc: Texas
I would like to add that CRKT replied to two emails from me, each on the very next business day. I am told that my replacements have been ordered. They will be sent free of charge. I should have them within 10-15 days of the reply to my first email to CRKT. It was a no-questions-asked type of situation. Well, I had questions, but they didn't. wink

Good customer service, I'd say.

#187436 - 11/04/09 03:45 PM Re: Is Your RSK Mk5 Sheath Too Loose? [Re: brian]
StuToffee Offline

Loc: Stockport, Cheshire, UK
These little blades look superb.
I THOUGHT I had two on the way from a US online store after I paid for em on 31st August, but the guy doesnt answer emails or messages thru his website & Ive started negotiations with paypal to try & get my money back.
Very disapointed as Ive NEVER had an issue buying kit from the 'States before.
Looks like I was CRAZY for trying to buy a BLADE from this website.

I'll probably wind up getting one from Heinnie Haynes in the UK, more expensive than the US at £22 but at least I know I'll receive it.

#187444 - 11/04/09 04:17 PM Re: Is Your RSK Mk5 Sheath Too Loose? [Re: StuToffee]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
Originally Posted By: StuToffee
These little blades look superb.
I THOUGHT I had two on the way from a US online store after I paid for em on 31st August, but the guy doesnt answer emails or messages thru his website & Ive started negotiations with paypal to try & get my money back.
Very disapointed as Ive NEVER had an issue buying kit from the 'States before.
Looks like I was CRAZY for trying to buy a BLADE from this website.

I'll probably wind up getting one from Heinnie Haynes in the UK, more expensive than the US at £22 but at least I know I'll receive it.

That's terrible.

Does www.agrussell.com ship overseas? They have the MK5 for $17 and their service within the U.S. has been superb as I've placed a few orders with them.

Good luck. They are a sweet little knife, I have a few and am giving some away as presents to outdoorsy friends.

#187445 - 11/04/09 04:22 PM Re: Is Your RSK Mk5 Sheath Too Loose? [Re: Dagny]
StuToffee Offline

Loc: Stockport, Cheshire, UK
Thanks for the tip. I'll check AG Russells site.
I thought I could save a few quid by buying from the US site, having em sent to a friend in NJ (THE Jerzee Devil Himself!) & he'd send em on to me.

Instead Ive lost $48 (about 30something quid!!)

Buyer beware, eh?

#187462 - 11/04/09 05:28 PM Re: Is Your RSK Mk5 Sheath Too Loose? [Re: Dagny]
Kris Offline
Addict

Loc: A Canadian Back in Canada
Originally Posted By: Dagny

Does www.agrussell.com ship overseas?

They ship to the Caribbean or did last year when my wife allowed me to make a few purchases ;-)

#187769 - 11/07/09 04:36 AM Re: Is Your RSK Mk5 Sheath Too Loose? [Re: Kris]
T_Co Offline

Loc: Nebraska
Was at my local Scheels today and asked about the MK5. They do not have it. They can order it, but wait time is 30 days... retail per the assistant is $26...Im thinking not only no but heck no..

#187775 - 11/07/09 12:46 PM Re: Is Your RSK Mk5 Sheath Too Loose? [Re: StuToffee]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
Originally Posted By: StuToffee
Thanks for the tip. I'll check AG Russells site.
I thought I could save a few quid by buying from the US site, having em sent to a friend in NJ (THE Jerzee Devil Himself!) & he'd send em on to me.

Instead Ive lost $48 (about 30something quid!!)

Buyer beware, eh?

If your friend takes them out of the tins they come in, they could be packaged very small for mailing.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.