Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 ... 10 11 >
Topic Options
#180434 - 08/26/09 12:52 AM Re: new TV show to argue about: "Surviving Disaste [Re: barbakane]
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Loc: Virginia, US
"Surviving Disaster" looks interesting so I'll watch the first episode to see if it piques my interest.

To pull a quote from Cade Courtley in the Debut Trailer "We give you information and stuff you can do so that the average guy can survive that situation." To me that means they're going to take more of a practical approach to problem solving rather than an approach for excitement's sake. Hopefully this will mean that the show is geared more toward learning.

If it's just another stunt show I'll more than likely give it a pass. It's not that I find that type of program offensive, just not the type of show with which I prefer.

In the Bus Nuke Trailer, no one enclosed themselves in an icebox at ground zero in an attempt to survive, so that is promising. grin

We'll find out what the show is like September 1st!

#180471 - 08/26/09 11:03 AM Re: new TV show to argue about: "Surviving Disaste [Re: scafool]
LoneWolf Offline

"Most of them turn into bushcraft shows and are not really relevant for 90% of the situations that would be a real threat to 99% of the people on the planet."

I think that is the key point. The Bushcraft kinds of shows are the ones that sell the most advertising. Which is the more exciting show? The one that show you how to start a fire with in a raging blizzard with two sticks and some pocket fuzz (not realistic for the vast majority) or the ones that would show you the best way to store and rotate canned food (real life).

LW

P.S. Can anyone tell me how to do the quotes in the little box from another posting that has the posters name and all?

#180474 - 08/26/09 11:39 AM Re: new TV show to argue about: "Surviving Disaste [Re: LoneWolf]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
Originally Posted By: LoneWolf

P.S. Can anyone tell me how to do the quotes in the little box from another posting that has the posters name and all?

When you go to answer there is a place that says quote beside where it says reply. Try that instead of just reply.

#180482 - 08/26/09 12:07 PM Re: new TV show to argue about: "Surviving Disaste [Re: scafool]
LoneWolf Offline

Originally Posted By: scafool
Originally Posted By: LoneWolf

When you go to answer there is a place that says quote beside where it says reply. Try that instead of just reply.

COOL !!

Thanks,
LW

#180499 - 08/26/09 04:14 PM Re: new TV show to argue about: "Surviving Disaste [Re: Nicodemus]
oldsoldier Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
Originally Posted By: Nicodemus
"Surviving Disaster" looks interesting so I'll watch the first episode to see if it piques my interest.

To pull a quote from Cade Courtley in the Debut Trailer "We give you information and stuff you can do so that the average guy can survive that situation." To me that means they're going to take more of a practical approach to problem solving rather than an approach for excitement's sake. Hopefully this will mean that the show is geared more toward learning.

If it's just another stunt show I'll more than likely give it a pass. It's not that I find that type of program offensive, just not the type of show with which I prefer.

In the Bus Nuke Trailer, no one enclosed themselves in an icebox at ground zero in an attempt to survive, so that is promising. grin

We'll find out what the show is like September 1st!

One thing I was taught by folks was that, if you can SEE a nuclear blast, you will not SURVIVE said blast. I am unsure whether thats true or not, never having been in one...but, it sounds like good advice to me-stay away from large metropolitan areas!

#180500 - 08/26/09 04:17 PM Re: new TV show to argue about: "Surviving Disaste [Re: LoneWolf]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
Let me also chime in on this SF bashing, its uncalled for. The SF is not a group of super soldiers using high tech spy gear. In fact, in the field, most Infantry line companies have more high tech equipment at their disposal. SF, aside from specific ODA's, are only as good as the indigenous forces they work with and tend to use equipment that meet those peoples lowest common denominator. Aside from some mission essential equipment such as JDAM lasers and sophisticated communication equipment in order to work covertly with global command and control structures.

The greatest tool at the disposal of any SF person is their mind. With military and civilian training that is far superior than what 99.99% of the population will ever receive, they also have outstanding mediation training to work with other groups. Using an analogy in this thread, who says this person WASN'T given comprehensive training from an Australian Aborigine? And what makes an Aborigine more qualified to survive a disaster than an Apache or someone who is Amish, depending on the situation?

To chose a SF person for a show on Surviving Disasters is not a terrible thing. In fact, this person probably has great charisma, a background that resonant with the American zeitgeist, and most importantly has been trained to impart advice using a mind that has been trained to be an effective instructor.

Don't hate the player, hate the game

#180523 - 08/26/09 06:12 PM Re: new TV show to argue about: "Surviving Disaste [Re: comms]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
If I might add to that:
Most "Special Forces" and by that I mean SAS, SBS, DELTA, SEAL, RANGERS et al only take individuals who are of above average intelligence.

In other words: No idiots.

All of the above run selection courses that are specifically designed to test for mental toughness and agility.

Physical toughness is desired certainly, but anyone in reasonable physical condition can be trained up to the desired level.

How does that translate in to our terms of reference?

Simple: Survival is 40% preparation and training (to give you the basic skills and tools), 60% determination to survive.

It has been demonstrated time and again that people who want to survive, will survive. People who don't have that determination won't, no matter how lavishly you equip them.

#180526 - 08/26/09 06:23 PM Re: new TV show to argue about: "Surviving Disaste [Re: barbakane]
BrianB Offline

After watching the clips on the show's site, I'm going to check this show out just because of this one quote from an interview with the host:

"We don't do anything with pee."

=D

#180528 - 08/26/09 06:37 PM Re: new TV show to argue about: "Surviving Disaste [Re: barbakane]
lynneajean Offline
Stranger

Hello All! I think this will be a great show and very informative. I also wanted to put it out there that my father, Mike Teters, was interviewed for Surviving Disaster by Spike and will be on the episode concerning FIRE. He was in a propane explosion back in 2006, and amazingly he survived it! (well after months of being kept alive by a ventilator smile If you have time to check out his actual story you can read it and news articles at www.miketeters.com. Thank you! My father's site is in no way affiliated with Spike.

#180592 - 08/27/09 03:06 PM Re: new TV show to argue about: "Surviving Disaste [Re: comms]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: comms
...To chose a SF person for a show on Surviving Disasters is not a terrible thing. In fact, this person probably has great charisma, a background that resonant with the American zeitgeist, and most importantly has been trained to impart advice using a mind that has been trained to be an effective instructor.

Good post comms.

I agree with oldsoldier, if you can see a nuke go off you are toast. But I recently had some training courtesy of Uncle Sugar on VBIEDs (a.k.a. truck bombs) and the blast radius of 20,000 pounds of explosives is pretty wide. Point is, the scenario from the "Surviving Distaster" bus teaser could easily happen with a VBIED, and you could be outside the kill zone but inside the "pressure wave will knock you silly" zone.

Thank you Lynne for your post! This indicates that the show is interested in showing some real-world things.

I look forward to the show.

Page 2 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 ... 10 11 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.