Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#180844 - 08/30/09 08:09 PM EDC for first grader?
barbakane Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Florida
My son just started school, and I'm thinking of giving him a few items to EDC:

Whistle
Photon flashlight
(Both as neck carry)

Laminated /State issued ID card
with emergency contact info

In backpack:
Rain Jacket (because daily rain is a certainty in FL)
hand sanitizer/wipes

Maybe very small FAK: 3 bandaids w/ alcohol wipes?

He's five, and sees all the stuff I EDC, so I'm instilling the mindset in him.

Any other items I'm not aware of/missing?

Anyone here have a youngster in grade school with EDC items?

This will set the stage for the rest of his life so any help would be appreciated.

Dave

#180848 - 08/30/09 08:53 PM Re: EDC for first grader? [Re: ]
JohnE Offline
Addict

Loc: Southern Cal
I can beat Izzy's price, go to a 99 cent store if there's one around, they've got some of those Johnson & Johnson pocket first aid kits for, yep, 99 cents. Oops, they're now the 99.99 cents stores, had a major price increase earlier this year.

"and all the lousy little poets
comin round
tryin' to sound like Charlie Manson"

The Future/Leonard Cohen

#180851 - 08/30/09 10:00 PM Re: EDC for first grader? [Re: JohnE]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
John,

My son is starting first grade too! He EDCs your list, plus a mini flashlight, suncreen, lip balm, sunglasses, change of clothes, snacks and a bottle of water. The water takes the weight to his limit. In the winter there's also an extra hat, scarf, mitts and, if he's not wearing them, snowpants.

We use the little white plastic bandaid box that Izzy recommended. I took out the drugs, added a couple superhero bandaids and a couple of gauze pads. There's also some polysporin and wipes in there.

There are 2 nuclear reactors in our area, and the school disaster plan sees them bussed to a university campus that has an underground shelter. We live around the block from the school and I'm at home all day, so picking him up from school is ideal, but in this scenario he'd potentially be away at least overnight.

It's also important, in my opinion to talk to our kids. Let them know what's there, why and how to use it. The goal is not to scare them - prepare them!

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#180852 - 08/30/09 10:07 PM Re: EDC for first grader? [Re: JohnE]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
I am not sure I would hang anything around a kid's neck.
If the lanyard the items are on is strong it could strangle him. If it is weak enough not to strangle him the items will just break away and get lost.

I would even hesitate about giving him much pocket trash at that age.
ID and emergency contact card good items for him for sure.

What can you fit in a small wallet?

In the backpack the rain jacket and so on sounds about right.
Maybe some munchies that he likes, a small compass just because and another set of identifiers.
Maybe something like a tag sown right into the inside of the bag with your home phone on it as well.

Edit:
Add some toys to the bag.

Edited by scafool (08/30/09 10:08 PM)

#180853 - 08/30/09 10:08 PM Re: EDC for first grader? [Re: barbakane]
Lon Offline

Loc: middle Tennessee
Originally Posted By: barbakane

Whistle
Photon flashlight
(Both as neck carry)

Are you already planning to use a "break away" lanyard for the Neck Carry?
I would caution that anything else could be a hanging/choking hazard; especially at that age.

#180857 - 08/30/09 11:04 PM Re: EDC for first grader? [Re: Lon]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
I'll second the breakaway lanyard. Anything around a child's neck can also be used to capture/catch him. With what's on the news lately, that just doesn't seem like a good idea. Besides, everything on the strap would be easily replaceable.

#180858 - 08/30/09 11:12 PM Re: EDC for first grader? [Re: barbakane]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
Originally Posted By: barbakane

Whistle
Photon flashlight
(Both as neck carry)

Maybe very small FAK: 3 bandaids w/ alcohol wipes?

neat idea. Hope it does not run afoul of the school security rules.

Build a breakaway link into the necklace-5 year olds do a lot of wrestling around, and it would be bad to get him strangled.

Ditch the alcohol wipes-flammable, hurts when you rub it on broken skin, damages healthy cells at wound margins, replace with packet of antibiotic ointment, or use antibiotic impregnated bandaids.

#180860 - 08/30/09 11:56 PM Re: EDC for first grader? [Re: nursemike]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Food/water - You could add a couple of boxes of a drink and a couple of energy bars to make up a section. Try not to make them too attractive to avoid premature use. Cost $3 or $4.

First aid - Half-dozen Band-Aides, a roll of 1" gauze and couple of 2x2 gauze pads make for a first-aid section. Cost $2 to $3.

Shelter and protection - A space blanket and/or a disposable rain poncho. $2 to $4.

Illumination - A cheap but effective keychain light and/or a chem-light. One 2/1.50 party size chem light might serve. $3 to $6.

A 5" by 11" zippered pouch, commonly sold as money and pencil bags, in a bright color, makes a workable storage container. Cost $2 to $5.

Total cost $12 to $22 for a really well rounded kit. You might get by with much less.

Seeing as that any kit you build will end up in school, the mall and church I would avoid any medications, sharp objects, toxic chemicals and anything dealing with fire.

Given the age I wouldn't put too much money and effort into any kit. Girls, because they are usually much more mature and reliable, might be trusted with more stuff. Boys, less. Expect and be prepared to to see the kit dropped into mud puddles, left on the bus, and traded for a cupcake at lunch. Buy supplies from internet discounters and look at making up a half-dozen kits at a time.

#180861 - 08/31/09 12:11 AM Re: EDC for first grader? [Re: nursemike]
barbakane Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Florida
Thank you for all the advice, and yes the lanyard is a breakaway design. THe FAK would reside in his backpack, and will definitely put in the antibiotic bandaids. Less mess and easier to deal with.
The toy idea is very good, but I'm concerned that classmates or after-school daycare friends may take them. I could go to the dollar store and get a few things, and replacement cost would be a non-issue.
He has a FAK that we take to the major parks here in FL when we go, with moleskin in it, perhaps I'll just put that in his pack. It's one of the small waterproof Witz containers.

#180867 - 08/31/09 01:48 AM Re: EDC for first grader? [Re: barbakane]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Personally, I wouldn't worry about EDC for a five year old. He's not going to be alone that this age. He's either with you parents, or teachers, or a babysitter, or some other adult supervision. Expecting a 5 year old to know how to wash a cut and apply a bandaid is probably asking too much. The adult that will be with him will be better at that. A whistle will probably just get him in trouble at school, the temptation to blown it for fun is just too great for a kid.

For a ten year old, yeah, maybe you could start looking at some simple EDC stuff. But a five year old - not worthwhile or necessary IMHO. Kids this young aren't expected to go it alone, nor are they ready for the responsibility. That's why they have parents and other people watching over them all the time. These young kids are just along for the ride ... and to have fun!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 444 Guests and 28 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.