The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#181066 - 09/01/09 04:38 PM Re: The UK??? [Re: Tom_L]
tomfaranda Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Croton on Hudson, NY
Excuse me, but Yorkshire is gorgeous place to live. Plenty of outdoor stuff to do. And you are only a short hop from York City, which is a fabulous place. My wife's family still is in York. I have been to Manchester several times - direct flights from eastern US - was in Manchester a year ago - a fine medium sized city. I haven't spent much time in Leeds - just passed through a few times.

Kris, you and I have corresponded in the past right? You're in Cayman and I used to live in Cayman. I hope to get down to Grand Cayman next April.

#181073 - 09/01/09 05:59 PM Re: The UK??? [Re: tomfaranda]
Kris Offline
Addict

Loc: A Canadian Back in Canada
Yeah, I think we have chatted in the past...

If i'm still around next April (really doubt that now), beers at royal palms?

#181077 - 09/01/09 06:37 PM Re: The UK??? [Re: Tom_L]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
Manchester and Liverpool were different, though. With much of the once thriving industry in ruins both cities were in a state of decay sort of when I was there.

It may have been possible that were still fixing up the place after the IRA blew it up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4EoXH1ju_0&feature=related

Also there are currently some pretty bad racial tensions (with a long historical undercurrent) in Northern England especially where traditional working class areas have seen their communities allowed to decay into an underclass (with the introduction of US style free market capitalism from Southern England esp the London financial centre, although Leeds has a large financial centre as well even though it is bankrupt (just like the Edinburgh financial centre) and needed taxpayers money to prop the whole system up) with the far right neofascists getting a foothold in local and national politics i.e. getting elected for the first time. (the BNP policies include repatriation of non white races and they also want to implement the Castle laws and free up gun ownership) The 2005 London tube suicide bombers who apparently were Al Qaeda terrorists came from Leeds.

But perhaps the most shocking lifestyle change would most likely be the shock of actually having to pay direct taxation although National Health Care services are a major plus (depending of course what income taxation band your in).

As for the criminal/under class being a problem in England and the UK, that probably wouldn't be much of a problem since the Caymen Islands is essentially a criminal operation in its own right (these criminals, er I mean free market capitalists who don't have their accounts audited for their pharmaceutical distribution operations in Liverpool, London, Manchester, Los Angeles, Philadelphia etc, know what Port to have with their lamb cutlets). whistle

The Harrogate and Knaresborough areas to the north of Leeds may as well be a million miles away from the deprivation of the inner cities of Liverpool and Manchester. But that is just the way it is nowadays.

Moving to Northern England in the midst of a bad economic recession from the sunny climbs of the Carribean despite the Hurricanes would probably not be a very good move but that would depend a lot on empolyment income. Being wealthy in the UK is'nt going to be as good as being wealthy in the US, but being poor isn't going to as bad either although the politicians in the England have for the last 30 years have tried their damnedest to encourage the wealth gap between rich and poor.

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (09/01/09 07:52 PM)

#181085 - 09/01/09 07:07 PM Re: The UK??? [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
tomfaranda Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Croton on Hudson, NY
The Royal Palms? For sure! Must have been rebuilt. I used to go diving with people from the Palms, but the last time I was on Cayman - on a rugby tour from NY, over 20 yrs ago - it had burnt down.

I just googled "Cayman Island pubs" and some of the ones I remember are still operating. Plus Eden Rock Divers, still owned by a friend of mine (rugby player) from way back when I lived there.

To the main point, you'll probably enjoy living in Yorkshire, if that's where you end up.

#181087 - 09/01/09 07:20 PM Re: The UK??? [Re: tomfaranda]
Kris Offline
Addict

Loc: A Canadian Back in Canada
Yeah, Royal Palms got rebuilt again after Ivan... Biggest disappointment was Naked Fish... Ivan killed them and someone built a fancy condo complex in its spot.

Look up http://www.caymanrestaurants.com/ for the latest pubs and restaurants.

#181129 - 09/02/09 03:22 AM Re: The UK??? [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor
I would watch the ' The League of Gentlemen ' for indepth research into Yorkshire Derbyshire area of North England. wink

I loved that series!! I rented it from NetFlix. My favorite person was "Mickey" followed closely by the old rocker from the band "Creme Brulee". My favorite scene is when Tubbs and whoever go to London following the railroad tracks just like the snow globe showed. I almost wet myself it was so funny.

Edited by MoBOB (09/02/09 03:22 AM)
Edit Reason: misspelled words

#181136 - 09/02/09 10:20 AM Re: The UK??? [Re: MoBOB]
sushi Offline

the only thing you'll have to change in your EDC is to carry a spyderco uk legal blade not a locking one or one with a blade over 3". Unless you carry a gun which is strictly prohibited. You can shoot some guns on a range.

Everything else in this post is untrue. Is this the same UK we are talking about?

You have a right to use reasonable force to protect your property and self and can make a citizens arrest.

'You'll have to give up some of your EDC, though. And from what I read, there is NO 'Castle Law' of any type there. If someone wants to trash your car or your place, there isn't a thing you can do about it. One of my crews (recent ex-military) said Britain is a criminal's dream because you just have to stand there and take it.'

#181137 - 09/02/09 10:20 AM Re: The UK??? [Re: MoBOB]
sushi Offline

the only thing you'll have to change in your EDC is to carry a spyderco uk legal blade not a locking one or one with a blade over 3". Unless you carry a gun which is strictly prohibited. You can shoot some guns on a range.

Everything else in this post is untrue. Is this the same UK we are talking about?

You have a right to use reasonable force to protect your property and self and can make a citizens arrest.

'You'll have to give up some of your EDC, though. And from what I read, there is NO 'Castle Law' of any type there. If someone wants to trash your car or your place, there isn't a thing you can do about it. One of my crews (recent ex-military) said Britain is a criminal's dream because you just have to stand there and take it.'

#181149 - 09/02/09 01:26 PM Re: The UK??? [Re: sushi]
Johno Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Scotland
There are loads of good things to be said for Yorkshire, the scenery up on the moors and mountains is truly inspiring. It is as was pointed out earlier close to Gods country, Scotland for you unbelievers out there. Very centrally placed and pretty well serviced by all types of communications.

It is however let down by the weather, the built up area's and the minority of scum-bags that concentrate there. There is an underlying racial undercurrent that has occasionally spilled over into rioting. But to top it off my Mother in Law lives in Yorkshire and she is reason enough for me never to venture south of the border again smile

By all means work in Leeds but dont live there if you can help it.

#181151 - 09/02/09 03:12 PM Re: The UK??? [Re: Johno]
sushi Offline

Liverpool and Manchester have their bad points, what large cities don't? Not moving to Leeds because there are bad areas in Liverpool; a city 75 miles away, makes no sense.
And the 7/7 bombers came from Leeds, but that is proof itself, it's an unlikely target for terrorists. They didn't bomb Leeds, they went 200 miles to London instead.
Sushi

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.