The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#181205 - 09/03/09 12:13 AM Re: EDC for first grader? [Re: Eugene]
aloha Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Hawaii, USA
I have carried a pocket knife through grade school, high school, college and I still carry one. The trick is to not take it out if it isn't needed.

Several years ago, I posted about the kit I put together for my daughter and her friends for hiking and camping. I gave them fauxtons and whistles on an adjustable cord bracelet. I didn't want to risk having it around their necks as they are active. If they do where it around their necks, I have them do so cross body, like a bandoleer.

Now, over four years later, I am happy to say that they still have their kits and have since modified and personalized it for their own use. My girls always take water with them whether they are schooling, or anything for that matter. Most of it is still intact, except the first aid components which get used up and replaced.

Just continuing being a good example and you shouldn't have to worry. Kids see and hear everything!

#181234 - 09/03/09 12:41 PM Re: EDC for first grader? [Re: The_Jackal]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
Originally Posted By: The_Jackal
Originally Posted By: martinfocazio
where's his pocket knife?

my son's school REQUIRED one.

Where the frick did you go to school? I had a SAK in high school and had it confiscated.

We have studiously avoided the American public school system, which, in my opinion, has been forced to accommodate, tolerate and manage the "edge cases" of behavior & capability to the point of treating all students as threats, treating all cultures as perfect, and all students as equal. As a result, despite considerable financial hardship, we have opted out of that system and instead have been very happy with a one-room Montessori school for my daughter and a Quaker school for my son. My son was previously enrolled in a Waldorf school - we found them ideal for the younger years, not so much the grades.

In the Waldorf kindergarden, the kids have lit candles in the classroom, they use hot water for cooking, sharp knives for cutting and they play outside, every day, rain or shine, snow or sleet, with very, very few exceptions.

In the Quaker schools, we have found that the boundaries they impose on the kids are reasoned, and that edge cases of behavior are separated from trends. So, for example, they have a cell phone policy that's simple: Phones can't be on during the school day. Neither can iPods - the rule is simple: "Anything with an On/Off Switch must be left off during the school day." Knives are also simple. "Pocket knives must be used in a manner that is considered safe by the teacher or supervising adult."

It's not chaos, and I don't agree with all the rules - they have tied a ribbon on the Favorite Climbing Tree to show the maximum height kids are allowed to climb because a few of them made it to the very top of a very large tree a few times. They don't allow the use of Google or Wikipedia. These are two rules I could do without - but I can go directly to the administration and tell them - make a case - for why I don't like a rule and because they have a reasonable conflict resolution process I can expect an outcome that is fair, even when I don't agree with it.

#181511 - 09/06/09 11:47 AM Re: EDC for first grader? [Re: atoz]
jshannon Offline
Addict

Loc: North Texas
No. 2 pencil, ersaser, apple.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 442 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.