The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#179089 - 08/12/09 01:26 AM Re: Towels - The Urban Staple [Re: celler]
technician Offline
Stranger

Loc: S Central Kansas
Not a towel, but I always carry at least one bandana.

#179090 - 08/12/09 01:43 AM Re: Towels - The Urban Staple [Re: technician]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Old cotton terry cloth towels that are soft and thirsty are undoubtedly the best. They are at their best just before they start to fray around the edges.

Avoid using fabric softener and drier sheets. It is counter intuitive but softener gets into the fibers and can, over time and many washes, make a towel much less absorbent.

And back off on laundry detergent also. Most people think the more detergent you use the 'cleaner' the clothes but the opposite is the fact. use too much detergent and it doesn't get rinsed out. Which makes clothes stiff and scratchy and uncomfortable. Which causes people to use softener. Which can attract and hold dirt. An endless cycle.

#179100 - 08/12/09 06:35 AM Re: Towels - The Urban Staple [Re: celler]
LED Offline
Veteran

Bought a big bag of 100% cotton restaurant kitchen towels to use as sweat rags, cleaning the dog, or whatever. They work so well I put some in my kits. Real cheap. If you lose 'em no big deal.

#179104 - 08/12/09 10:01 AM Re: Towels - The Urban Staple [Re: LED]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
Something else. Use white towels for maximum absorbtion. The ones that have been dyed have used up some of that property picking up the color.

No telling where I read that, but it sorta makes sense.

#179105 - 08/12/09 10:21 AM Re: Towels - The Urban Staple [Re: LED]
celler Offline
Addict

Loc: Jupiter, FL
Originally Posted By: LED
Bought a big bag of 100% cotton restaurant kitchen towels to use as sweat rags, cleaning the dog, or whatever. They work so well I put some in my kits. Real cheap. If you lose 'em no big deal.

Very interesting. What are the dimensions of a "kitchen towel" and can you share the source?

Thanks.

Craig.

#179106 - 08/12/09 10:23 AM Re: Towels - The Urban Staple [Re: JBMat]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
There is a reason that this photo

shows the right hand soldier (or is it a Marine) with a towel around his shoulders
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#179108 - 08/12/09 11:48 AM Re: Towels - The Urban Staple [Re: KG2V]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Quote:
shows the right hand soldier (or is it a Marine) with a towel around his shoulders

Pretty much an unbeatable endorsment right there.
-Blast who loves his microfiber backpacker's towel
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#179146 - 08/12/09 11:07 PM Re: Towels - The Urban Staple [Re: celler]
yelp Offline

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: celler
Originally Posted By: LED

Very interesting. What are the dimensions of a "kitchen towel" and can you share the source?

I'm fond of bar towels:

"Plain or ribbed bar mop towels. 100% cotton and super absorbent. Machine washable. 16" x 19"; 28 oz. Ribbed."

http://www.restockit.com/Bar-Towels-12-Per-Case--(BT28-12).html

You could also negotiate for a case or two from a local establishment.

Onebag.com, the packing light gurus, extol the virtues of viscose travel towels (not all travel towels are viscose):

Quote:
Packtowl® Original (92% viscose/8% polypropylene, and pictured here) comes in a variety of sizes. It's lightweight and packs small, yet soaks up an astounding nine times its weight in water (the large size will hold a full liter of fluid), even when damp (unlike, say, terrycloth, which becomes effectively useless when wet, and — being cotton - ;Packtowl® Original, by MSRtakes a long time to dry). Further, you can release 90% of that water merely by wringing the towel out. It dries quickly as well (if still damp when you need to depart for your next destination, simply pack it in a Ziploc® bag and hang it out to dry when you arrive). Viscose towels may not look like much, or feel particularly soft (they initially resemble a piece of rather stiff felt, though become softer and more "towel-like" — and more absorbent — after each washing), but they're much more effective than other types of "travel towels".

I have yet to try one, but it seems the absorption qualities would be especially beneficial in potential survival situations.

http://www.onebag.com/packing-list-toiletries.html

Standard disclaimer.

Edited by yelp (08/12/09 11:10 PM)
Edit Reason: deleted html artifacts that piggybacked the cut-and-paste

#179153 - 08/13/09 12:05 AM Re: Towels - The Urban Staple [Re: celler]
LED Offline
Veteran

They're about 14" X 14" and come in packs of 20. I bought mine at Smart and Final but any restaurant supply type place should carry them. Target sells them in the automotive section as car wash towels in packs of 10 but they're a little more expensive.

#179162 - 08/13/09 01:29 AM Re: Towels - The Urban Staple [Re: yelp]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Viscose is a form of rayon, made from organic cellulose. It doesn't melt like polyester, but it is VERY flammable. Another one you don't want to be wearing if you're holding a torch.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.