Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1798 - 09/26/01 05:24 PM anthrax prep
Anonymous
Unregistered

Trying to prepare for TEOTWAWKI in chunks. This week is anthrax week! I have no confidence that the govt will inform us if we have been dumped on, so how do I know?? Anyone have anything to advise me on the use of vet penicillin?? It is the only thing that I can reasonably do at this time. I am a stay at home mom, trying to protect her children to the best of my ability, would love to communicate with like minded folks as all my friends and neighbors think I'm crazy.<br><br>

#1799 - 09/26/01 08:40 PM Re: anthrax prep
Anonymous
Unregistered

There is some concern that weaponized anthrax would be made resistent to penicillin. The infectious disease references that I have checked recommend either Ciproflaxin ($$$$$) or Doxycycline ($) for treatment of anthrax. Obviously, prevention is better than treatment, but I do not forsee mass anthrax immunizations. It is unlikely, in fact, for anthrax vaccine to be made available for use by the civillian community at all.<br><br>Jeffery S. Anderson, M.D.<br><br>

#1800 - 09/26/01 08:45 PM Re: anthrax prep
Anonymous
Unregistered

Missed the part about "so how do we know". Anthrax is a disease that is spread by the inhalation of bacteria spores. It is also possible to contract the disease through a break in the skin, but that is only likely in a slaughterhouse worker or someone that works with hides.<br><br>A large number of people coming down with flu like symptoms that progess relatively quickly and don't respond to routine treatment is what would be seen. Fortunately, the disease is not spread from infected to healthy, so the outbreak would be limited.<br><br>Contrary to your skepticism, I think that the government would be on top of the outbreak for no other reason than to maintain credibility for future terrorist incidents<br><br>Jeffery S. Anderson, M.D.<br><br>

#1801 - 09/26/01 08:48 PM Re: anthrax prep
Anonymous
Unregistered

If you are preparing for "TEOTWAWKI," you won't find like-minded folks here. We are your friends and neighbors.<br><br>

#1802 - 09/26/01 09:32 PM Re: anthrax prep
Anonymous
Unregistered

I hope I didn't start off on the wrong foot here. <br>Cast Away- For lack of a better term, I said TEOTWAWKI, I thought that was the term used for any situation where daily life would be more about survival, and less about whatever we do all day now. This still isn't sounding right, I was just hoping this was the place where I could get some Y2K type advice-but what do we call that?<br><br>Beachdoc- if antibiotic treatment needs to occur before symptoms are evident (which is my understanding), how will we know when to start antibiotics. At the risk of sounding even more ignorant, will we see the planes (for example) dropping powder from the sky. Even though I am in full support of our current administration, if they have clearly said that America is not prepared for bio war, I would like to be prepared in case they don't tell us. If they don't have the meds to keep us alive, why would they tell us that we are almost toast?<br><br><br>

#1803 - 09/26/01 10:20 PM Issues to consider
Anonymous
Unregistered

1. You will probably not know that you have been exposed until you (and many others) present with signs and symptoms, generally flu like. You will not see dust clouds coming from planes, etc. <br><br>2. You must use the correct anitbiotics to treat the condition. Vet meds must be given in the correct form and in the correct dosage which means you must have a method to determine the two as they relate to humans.<br><br>3. Antibiotics are different than vaccines. Antibiotics treat the condition, vaccines prevent the condition. Except for standard protocols for pre-treatment wide spectrum anitis taken before some operative proceedures and dental work, anti's should only be given when you know what you are treating. Taking anitbiotics every day for the rest of your life is not practicle, probably dangerous and reduces your body's ability to fight other diseases on it's own. You must also determine which anthrax, or other bio-bugger strain you are fighting to know which anti to take.<br><br>Should some idiot actually start a biochem war, your description of TEOTWAWKI would be correct. It would lead to world wide M.A.D. All bets of life as we even know it now would be lost. I do not think that we are any where near that point.<br><br>I won't attempt to tell you how to live your life, but I would advise against paranoia. Replace paranoia with a heightened sense of awareness as to your surroundings. If something doesn't look or feel right, it probably isn't. If you have persistant flu like symptoms, go to the doctor and insist on bloodwork to rule out bio agents. You could go as far as avoiding large gatherings of people, big cities, etc.<br><br>I am not as concerned about bio's and chems as I am truck and car bombs or another highjacked plane. Bio's are difficult to culture in quantity, must have proper conditions to thrive and disperse efectively. Chems are easier to make and disperse. But explosives, as has been proved in the past, are most definitely the most effective and used terrorist weapon of choice. I am by no means saying that we don't risk bio-chems, I am just saying that IMHO, they are the least of the worries.<br><br>Some paranoia is good. It keeps you on your toes, heightens your awareness and pumps up the fight or flight senses. But don't let it control your life. I know, easy for me to say but IMHO many people need to sit back, take a deep breath and attempt to make plans that you can live with without being controlled by. <br><br>Look at realistic possibilities for your locale. I bet you will find that you will have more concerns about manmade hazmat accidents and natural distasters more than terrorism. Do you have tank farms, heavy chemical consuming industry, railyards where tank cars are stored, etc.? Are you subject to floods, hurricanes, tornados and have you planned for those disasters. Do you know your evacuation routes? do you have 30-60 days of food, water and other consumables? Do you have non-electric heating sources or a generator? Take stock of possibilities near you and prepare for those first.<br><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by REELDOC on 09/26/01 03:40 PM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>

#1804 - 09/26/01 11:58 PM Re: anthrax prep
Anonymous
Unregistered

There is no need to begin antibiotics before you are ill. The problem is that the symptoms of pulmonary anthrax are not very specific and can be lost if the population is struggling with a similar, non-lethal infectious disease like influenza. <br><br>Very quickly, the bio-threat would be perceived and correct treatment undertaken. The risk of anthrax is a local one, you have to come into contact with the bacteria directly so an anthrax incident would be rather localized.<br><br>I have seen projections that 200 pounds of bacterial spores dispersed upwind of a large city could result in 125,000 deaths and 200,000 ill.<br><br>I don't believe that it is established that "they don't have the meds to keep us alive". Anthrax is susceptible to treatment with common antibiotics. The only problem is early recognition. That is a matter of great interest right now in the public health arena.<br><br>Jeffery S. Anderson, M.D.<br><br>

#1805 - 09/27/01 12:06 AM Re: anthrax prep
Anonymous
Unregistered

I think that the events of the past few weeks have showed all of us that we are more the "friends and neighbors" than we thought we were last month.<br>For me, I have been through a change that has ended my life in many ways as I knew it before. I would doubt that there are many who don't look at life much differently than we did before. I think that we all need to broaden our concern and awareness to insure our safety in the future.<br>I think that this young mother's description of the events as TEOTWAWKI are not entirely inaccurate. I really think her questions and concerns are at least as valid as anyone's concerns about which pocket they are carrying their pocket knife.<br>We all have concerns and fears, we all have opinions and special interests and knowledge. At this critical time, I think it important that we work together.<br><br>Jeffery S. Anderson, M.D.<br><br>

#1806 - 09/27/01 10:02 AM Re: anthrax prep
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Welcome tunneldiver, While everyone bought every gas mask in site, I augmented my wool blanket supply. Surplus supplies have long been meager, due to the many worldwide conflicts and natural disasters worldwide. The millions of Afghan refugees will be using blankets, tents and lots of MAINSTAY rations ( the company, which is local is working overtime). Try not to get caught up in the unlikely, while overlooking the obvious. People who build meth labs, improvised munitions and Anthrax laboratories have a nasty habit of doing themselves in more often than not.<br><br>

#1807 - 09/27/01 01:20 PM Re: anthrax prep
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'd like to think that soon everything will go back to "normal" like it was before 9/11. Unfortunately your are right and I apologize for the insensitivity of my earlier post. <br><br>There has been some sensitivity on this board about the difference between survival and survivalism. The boundary between the two, at least where we draw it here, has been moved recently and perhaps permanently. Depending on future terrorist activity, the line could fade all together.<br><br>

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 301 Guests and 42 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.