The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#180289 - 08/24/09 08:39 PM Re: Edible Mushrooms and Stupidity [Re: scafool]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
Where is Blast on this thread? Seems right up his alley.

#180292 - 08/24/09 10:09 PM Re: Edible Mushrooms and Stupidity [Re: scafool]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Originally Posted By: scafool
Dweste; The poison dripping trees are hiding out in the state of Incognito.
They try to keep their poison dripping skills hidden and commonly use large branches to kill people with instead.

Only the smaller poison drippers like Cow Parsnip, Giant Hogweed, Poison Oak, and Poison Ivy usually let themselves be found out.

Aha! I thought so!

#180342 - 08/25/09 03:41 AM Re: Edible Mushrooms and Stupidity [Re: scafool]
billvann Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NE Illinois, USA (42:19:08N 08...
Be sure to read the intro paragraph atop each category page. For example, on the Geology page I highly recomend the DK book, it's got a great intro and identification key. It's a good starter book. While the Simon & Schuster book is much more advanced and a great reference into crystology, but not well suited for beginners or general geology.

#180352 - 08/25/09 11:47 AM Re: Edible Mushrooms and Stupidity [Re: scafool]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
Originally Posted By: scafool

One of the main reasons to teach trapping and foraging along with shelter building is to keep people from wandering off.
If they stay near the wreck or last known position they are easier to find.
Setting up a shelter, a fire and doing a bit of food gathering also helps people mentally. It helps them if they feel they are doing something positive to help themselves survive.

Good point! I'd like to add that ANY amount of food (that doesn't wreck havock on your system) will be a huge morale booster and greatly increase your odds. You can live for a while without any food at all, but observations are that it is highly unpleasant, and it will reduce your strength, mental abilities and thermo regulation. A small amount of food will make you function soooooo much better.

Food will not be my top priority, but if I have time and energy on my hands (such as waiting by a wreck) I would certainly try to find something to eat when the other priorities are met.

#180378 - 08/25/09 04:53 PM Re: Edible Mushrooms and Stupidity [Re: MostlyHarmless]
drahthaar Offline

Setting aside the debate about the "calorie content" of mushrooms, the main reason to harvest them is that they are DELICIOUS! At least morels, chanterelles, and portobellos are and all can be found in the wild.

If you are interested, there are a variety of detailed guidebooks available that discuss the specifics of identification.

The first step is to get familiar with the deadly mushrooms.

Then learn what type of edible mushrooms are in your area and then see what deadly/poisonous mushrooms resemble those and then see how to distinguish them. This is a decent starting point for the western US (http://www.amazon.com/All-That-Rain-Prom...2622&sr=8-4).

If you don't know what you are doing, don't eat wild mushrooms. And, by the same token, if you don't know what you are doing, don't drive a car, fly a plane, operate an arc welder, go boating, go swimming, etc.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 312 Guests and 57 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.