Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#179717 - 08/19/09 12:50 AM Re: Stolen web page - what would YOU do? [Re: ironraven]
GarlyDog Offline
τΏτ
Old Hand

Loc: The People's Republic of IL
I had someone hot link to several of my dog training website pictures. I uploaded several undesirable pictures with the same names to my site. I then changed the names of the desired pictures on my site and updated my page to display correctly.

End result: Correct picture on my website and pictures that motivated change on offender's website.

Unfortunately this solved my problem right away. I was kind of hoping to go to Stage II of my evil plan.

#179858 - 08/20/09 06:20 PM Re: Stolen web page - what would YOU do? [Re: Susan]
Brangdon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nottingham, UK
Originally Posted By: Susan
It doesn't matter if they add or delete some text or photos, it doesn't matter if they flip photos or drawings over, it doesn't matter if they change the colors, or make any other changes. THE MATERIAL BELONGS TO YOU.
Agreed. Technically they will have formed a derivative work, which both you and they will own. A third person who wanted to copy it would have to get permission from both of you. They do get some rights from their contribution, but you still keep your rights from your contribution.

#179921 - 08/21/09 04:36 AM Re: Stolen web page - what would YOU do? [Re: Brangdon]
BrianB Offline

Originally Posted By: Brangdon
Originally Posted By: Susan
It doesn't matter if they add or delete some text or photos, it doesn't matter if they flip photos or drawings over, it doesn't matter if they change the colors, or make any other changes. THE MATERIAL BELONGS TO YOU.
Agreed. Technically they will have formed a derivative work, which both you and they will own. A third person who wanted to copy it would have to get permission from both of you. They do get some rights from their contribution, but you still keep your rights from your contribution.

Derivative works are still copyright violations if the material is used without permission. This can be fairly fuzzy, depending on how much of a work is incorporated into the derived work.

The concept that you can simply change a few elements, or add to a work, and dodge copyright violations issues is false. I'm not picking on the post quoted, but responding to a few other posts in the thread on this point. I think what's happening is confusing trademark and patent issues with copyright. All three are distinctly different as far as the legal ramifications.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 426 Guests and 33 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.