Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#179324 - 08/14/09 05:31 PM Waterproof paper makes the printing waterproof?
Compugeek Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: San Diego, CA
I've seen posts here and elsewhere that seem to indicate that after you print on waterproof paper, even inkjet printing is now protected. That it somehow protects the otherwise water-soluble ink (provided you use a suitable waterproof paper, of course).

Is this true? The paper somehow absorbs the ink and protects it? I could print my contact list and emergency info on the appropriate paper, and don't have to laminate it to protect it from casual water damage (rain, dew, fog, sneezing, etc.)?

#179325 - 08/14/09 05:46 PM Re: Waterproof paper makes the printing waterproof [Re: Compugeek]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
Originally Posted By: Compugeek
I've seen posts here and elsewhere that seem to indicate that after you print on waterproof paper, even inkjet printing is now protected. That it somehow protects the otherwise water-soluble ink (provided you use a suitable waterproof paper, of course).

Is this true? The paper somehow absorbs the ink and protects it? I could print my contact list and emergency info on the appropriate paper, and don't have to laminate it to protect it from casual water damage (rain, dew, fog, sneezing, etc.)?

Not in my experience. See www.riteintherain.com - they make the stuff.

#179341 - 08/14/09 06:38 PM Re: Waterproof paper makes the printing waterproof [Re: MartinFocazio]
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, WA

You might try treating with Nikwax Map Proof. I've used this before, but on pre-printed maps, not ink jet created documents.

I'd be interested to hear your results.

-john

#179348 - 08/14/09 07:22 PM Re: Waterproof paper makes the printing waterproof [Re: JohnN]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
I have the same comment as Martin.
On some of the waterproof papers I used to wash ink off so I could use the notebook some more.

I did find that the Write-in-the-rain notes really held pencil well and resisted erasering more than I expected, even though it did smudge a bit more.

#179358 - 08/14/09 08:14 PM Re: Waterproof paper makes the printing waterproof [Re: scafool]
yelp Offline

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: scafool
I did find that the Write-in-the-rain notes really held pencil well and resisted erasering more than I expected, even though it did smudge a bit more.

Agreed. I've been able to take observations in downpours and am still able, after years of neglect (improper packing and having loose leafs rub against each other), to transcribe my notes. Using a hard, small diameter pencil lead minimizes smudging.

#179361 - 08/14/09 08:27 PM Re: Waterproof paper makes the printing waterproof [Re: yelp]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
I've also used RITR stuff. Nice stuff. Able to hold pen, but you do smudge a bit. I find the Space Pen works better than a regular pen, probably b/c it's forced out under a tiny bit of pressure. I have had regular pins "slip" across the paper and not write.

#179378 - 08/14/09 09:58 PM Re: Waterproof paper makes the printing waterproof [Re: MDinana]
Compugeek Offline
Enthusiast

Thanks for the responses. I'll stick with plan A: laminate sealed-edge after printing on regular paper.

#179459 - 08/15/09 07:26 PM Re: Waterproof paper makes the printing waterproof [Re: Compugeek]
JerryFountain Offline
Addict

Loc: St. Petersburg, Florida
Compugeek,

The paper most have talked about is the standard RITR paper that has been around for years. They have developed two new papers that are for copying. I have not yet used the ink-jet paper, but the paper for copiers works well (even for underwater forms). The inkjet paper is described by Darling (the maker) for use as you described. I am not sure I would expect it to work underwater, but their products have always been first rate and I expect no difference here.

I hope to try some this winter, if you don't have an answer by then, I will post my results.

The best,

Jerry Fountain

#179578 - 08/17/09 02:51 PM Re: Waterproof paper makes the printing waterproof [Re: JerryFountain]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

I print my trail topos on National Geographic "adventure paper" that I got on sale at like 75% off. For all I know, it may be sourced from Rite in the Rain. But it seems to work. I've tested my topos by letting them dry thoroughly (overnight) then putting them underwater in the sink and scrunching them. There is a very slight amount of smudge here and there, but I would estimate the map remains 98% usable. I dunno how it works.

#179589 - 08/17/09 04:01 PM Re: Waterproof paper makes the printing waterproof [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
Compugeek Offline
Enthusiast

And that's with standard inkjet ink?

Hmmmm....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 456 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.