Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#179712 - 08/19/09 12:27 AM Re: Swine Flu prediction. [Re: Susan]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: Susan
Now, I'm not in the medical field, but how does this compute to a pandemic?

First, your numbers quote HOSPITALIZED patients. The mortality is even lower, across the board, since not everyone with flu gets put in the hospital.

A pandemic merely refers to geographic distribution, NOT mortality of a disease. In other words, swine flu is in many countries, around the world. But then, so is syphilis, TB, HIV... etc.

#179805 - 08/20/09 02:05 AM Re: Swine Flu prediction. [Re: MDinana]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Yes, I know it's hospitalized patients, that's why I specified.

Okay, geographic distribution... so, what's all the excitement? From what I see, it isn't even as bad as the regular flu.

#179835 - 08/20/09 01:43 PM Re: Swine Flu prediction. [Re: Susan]
Greg_Sackett Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: KC, MO
The panic is mostly media based, but I can tell you that at our hospital it is being watched very closely.

The main problem with this flu is that while it isn't any more lethal than other flu strains it is highly contagious, being twice as likely to be spread as previous flu. It simply becomes a numbers game, and when the numbers get large even small percentages become large populations of patients potentially hitting the hospitals.

Two seasons ago the regular flu taxed our particular facility to the limit, due to large numbers of flu patients and many ill staff members. If we see a large number of hospitalized patients from swine flu, it will hit the hospitals very hard, and limit our ability to care for other patients. I don't think most people realize how close to the limit most hospitals run at on a regular basis.

Plus, you never know when a virus is going to mutate into something nastier. So that is at least the concern amongst emergency management folks.

Greg

#179840 - 08/20/09 03:53 PM Re: Swine Flu prediction. [Re: Greg_Sackett]
Tom_L Offline
Addict

Quote:
The main problem with this flu is that while it isn't any more lethal than other flu strains it is highly contagious, being twice as likely to be spread as previous flu. It simply becomes a numbers game, and when the numbers get large even small percentages become large populations of patients potentially hitting the hospitals.

Two seasons ago the regular flu taxed our particular facility to the limit, due to large numbers of flu patients and many ill staff members. If we see a large number of hospitalized patients from swine flu, it will hit the hospitals very hard, and limit our ability to care for other patients. I don't think most people realize how close to the limit most hospitals run at on a regular basis.

Which is exactly what worries me about the swine flu. Even without the strain mutating into something more lethal we could be in for a hellish ride if there is a real outbreak. And the damage is going to far exceed the actual number killed by the flu per se.

#180026 - 08/22/09 01:01 AM Re: Swine Flu prediction. [Re: Tom_L]
ki4buc Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Augusta, GA
The words "epidemic" and "pandemic" do not convey the seriousness or communicability of a pathogen. I believe Swine Flu is at Level 6. This implies this pathogen is UNIQUE to humans and the particular strain is no longer present in other animals. The AIDS virus is an example of a pandemic. Everyone can get it. Not everyone has it.

For anyone medical out there, is there a better term to describe a "pandemic" that is very contagious like the 1918 Spanish Flu?

#180039 - 08/22/09 04:41 AM Re: Swine Flu prediction. [Re: Greg_Sackett]
James_Van_Artsdalen Offline
Addict

Loc: Texas
Originally Posted By: Greg_Sackett

If we see a large number of hospitalized patients from swine flu, it will hit the hospitals very hard

There is another social multiplier effect that will be a problem: past a certain threshold and parents will start bringing little Jonny straight to ER *every* time he gets the sniffles.

There was a fair amount of that this spring in South Texas.

#180226 - 08/24/09 02:38 AM Re: Swine Flu prediction. [Re: ki4buc]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
I'm not medical people, but I finally thought to myself, "Look it up, dummy!"

PANDEMIC is defined as "universal".

CONTAGIOUS is defined as "communicable".

EPIDEMIC is defined as "a widespread outbreak of an infectious [or contagious] disease; many people are infected at the same time".

IMO, the media is trying to give people the impression that a pandemic is the same thing as an epidemic, which it is not, and may never be.

Also IMO, the American Public School System promotes ignorance. It is easier to confuse/control ignorant people than it is to confuse educated people. (And NO, I am not referring to anyone in particular.)

#180230 - 08/24/09 03:18 AM Re: Swine Flu prediction. [Re: James_Van_Artsdalen]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
WHO has some very specific guidelines about how it classifies an infectious disease outbreak. A novel infection that demonstrates sustained human-to-human transmission in more than one region is their basic definition. Note that severity or lethality is not part of the definition, which turned out to be somewhat of a liability in the case of H1N1 since so far, it produces mild symptoms in most people it infects, and many people thought a Level 6 designation was crying wolf. The avian flu was novel to humans and highly lethal, but it never managed sustained human-to-human transmission, so it never got that far in the WHO scale.

There isn't really another alternative to the term "pandemic". Don't forget the term "endemic". Arguably, HIV could be endemic because it is well entrenched in many parts of the world, like malaria is. Only when the frequency of disease is higher than expected do we classify a disease as an "epidemic" or "pandemic".

I think that the WHO pandemic scale, like many other tools/guidelines used by planners, gets misused/misinterpreted when absorbed by the general public. Terms that have specific meanings to help make decisions could have very different meanings to the general public, like the word "pandemic". The average person may assume that any "pandemic" must be lethal, but from a public health planning/execution standpoint, that's not necessarily true.

#180295 - 08/24/09 10:19 PM Re: Swine Flu prediction. [Re: Arney]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC

Apparently with this virus it pays to be older....

In a report by the President’s Council of Advisers on Science and Technology, President SomePolitician PHRASECENSOREDPOSTERSHOULDKNOWBETTER. today was urged to speed vaccine production and name a senior member of the White House staff, preferably the homeland security adviser, to take responsibility for decision-making on the pandemic.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=a8_2nrwYD1kM

Aug. 24 (Bloomberg) -- Swine flu may infect half the U.S. population this year, hospitalize 1.8 million patients and lead to as many as 90,000 deaths, more than twice the number killed in a typical seasonal flu, White House advisers said.

The median age of those with the pandemic virus has been 12 to 17 years, the WHO said on July 24, citing data from Canada, Chile, Japan, U.K. and the U.S.

The H1N1 strain is genetically related to the 1918 Spanish Flu strain that killed an estimated 50 million people. Variations of the Spanish Flu strain circulated widely until around 1957, when they were pushed aside by other flu strains. People whose first exposure to a flu virus was one of those Spanish Flu relatives may have greater immunity to the current pandemic, Shaw said.

#180393 - 08/25/09 06:51 PM Re: Swine Flu prediction. [Re: Dagny]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
Really interesting article in today's Washington Post. Many think today's situation may well track the 1957 Asian Flu.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/08/24/AR2009082402431.html?hpid=sec-health

As summer gave way to the cooler days of fall, the virus swept through schools across the United States. Because of the time needed for transmission and incubation, it took at least three weeks (and usually five or six) after classes started for peak absenteeism to hit.

...A sample of how the flu hit adult workers was provided by the Bell System, then a nationwide telephone monopoly, which made regular reports on absenteeism from 36 cities. Bell's peak "industrial absenteeism," which was generally not more than 8 to 10 percent of the work force, lagged behind school absenteeism by two to three weeks. Businesses staggered briefly, recovering in a couple of weeks, as did most flu victims.

...By Thanksgiving, life was nearly back to normal...

...Asian flu came back for a third time, in late February, causing another spike in mortality, this time mostly in the elderly.

Edited by Dagny (08/25/09 06:52 PM)

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.