Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#179254 - 08/14/09 03:59 AM Bending rebar...
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
I would like to get some 20' x 1/2" rebar and bend it in an arc to form a greenhouse. I once tried to bend a 10ft length like that, and it bent sharply in the middle, which looked stupid.

Are there any special methods, tricks or relatively simple tools that will help with this?

#179255 - 08/14/09 04:13 AM Re: Bending rebar... [Re: Susan]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
You could make a jig but that would require welding or a jig table or some real creative thinking with wood. Jig + Heat would look the best.

Or you could use an oxy/acet torch and heat it then bend... since it's 1/2" you could probably get by with MAP Gas torch from home depot... or maybe even propane since it's not much cooler and 1/2" round rebar is not the strongest smile

Edited by Todd W (08/14/09 04:13 AM)

#179256 - 08/14/09 04:17 AM Re: Bending rebar... [Re: Susan]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Get a conduit bender and slowly work the bend down the length of the work piece.

RIP OBG

#179260 - 08/14/09 06:25 AM Re: Bending rebar... [Re: Susan]
aloha Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Hawaii, USA
Susan, make sure you remember to breathe while bending and twisting the rebar.

#179269 - 08/14/09 10:17 AM Re: Bending rebar... [Re: aloha]
Tom_L Offline
Addict

Like Todd said. A small MAPP torch might be JUST enough for 1/2" rebar but it would take a long time to heat up and in fact might not work very well at all. So acetylene is your best option. Pretty much the only efficient option unless you have access to a portable gas/coal blacksmith forge.

The way I'd do it: clamp one end in a big, heavy, securely mounted vice. Mark the rebar with chalk or file a notch in the middle. Heat the spot until red hot at least, preferably bright yellow, then bend around something round and made of steel. If you need a sharp bend, heat only a localized spot. For a gentler curve heat a longer length.

That said, if you need more than one element you'll probably need a jig to ensure a consistent bend. You COULD do it by eye & hand but it takes practice and some skill to do it right.

#179271 - 08/14/09 11:12 AM Re: Bending rebar... [Re: Tom_L]
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NW NJ
I humbly suggest you forget the torch.

A shape like that would normally be formed on a metal rolls. Your local welding shop or metal railing fabricator probably has one. Rebar may not run through the rollers smoothly, but mild steel round stock is cheap and chances are they already have some handy.

The DIY option is to use a stake and some string to scribe a 6' radius half-circle in the dirt. Pound in some stakes along the arc and then wrap your rebar around them. Let it spring back and guess how much smaller your next circle needs to be.

Stay on the INSIDE of the circle while you're bending and keep other people away. !

"Never trust and engineer who doesn't carry a pocketknife."

#179294 - 08/14/09 02:26 PM Re: Bending rebar... [Re: thseng]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
Buy the tubing for a greenhouse or a canvas garage unit. Will be easier then bending rebar.

#179305 - 08/14/09 03:06 PM Re: Bending rebar... [Re: Stu]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

I missed the part where you said you wanted an arc not two large bends. Yeah, gonna be near impossible with MAP/Propane, and even oxy/acet w/out a jig will be near impossible to get the exact shape you want.

Get some 1" Square tubing .120" wall and have someone bend that for you. It should be about $1 to $1.5/ft. And if you have a big metal supplier near they may be able to bend it there for you. Then the fun is getting it home bent smile

If you were local I'd bend it for you... but I think shipping would kill that deal wink

#179328 - 08/14/09 06:00 PM Re: Bending rebar... [Re: Susan]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
I've done this - for cement work. No heat needed.

What you need is a bending jig. The one we made was built out of a zillion scrap 2x4's, forming a fanned out arc in the shape we wanted to get it was like laying bricks - we used 18" lengths of 2x4 air-nailed to longer sections of 2x4's that ends of the wood were spaced at about 4" intervals.

Put your hand flat on your desk, splay out your fingers - see how there's sort of an arc formed by your finger? Bend a piece of wire over your fingers - that's the basic idea. Our arc had a section of iron pipe at one end - we stuck the rebar in there and then we simply pulled the rebar over the form - it was hard - until we got the curve we wanted. this was for a project to build a curved concrete wall for a landscaping project.

There are also tools that can be rented to do this, but they are expensive. You set the radius you want and it's got these rollers that pinch the bar and roll it through. You can do small bends and large curves.

For a cheaper and easier solution you might want to consider Conduit.

#179331 - 08/14/09 06:01 PM Re: Bending rebar... [Re: MartinFocazio]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: martinfocazio
I've done this - for cement work. No heat needed.

What you need is a bending jig. The one we made was built out of a zillion scrap 2x4's, forming a fanned out arc in the shape we wanted to get it was like laying bricks - we used 18" lengths of 2x4 air-nailed to longer sections of 2x4's that ends of the wood were spaced at about 4" intervals.

Put your hand flat on your desk, splay out your fingers - see how there's sort of an arc formed by your finger? Bend a piece of wire over your fingers - that's the basic idea. Our arc had a section of iron pipe at one end - we stuck the rebar in there and then we simply pulled the rebar over the form - it was hard - until we got the curve we wanted. this was for a project to build a curved concrete wall for a landscaping project.

There are also tools that can be rented to do this, but they are expensive. You set the radius you want and it's got these rollers that pinch the bar and roll it through. You can do small bends and large curves.

For a cheaper and easier solution you might want to consider Conduit.

Sweet, I new someone would have a good idea how to do it with wood smile

When we jig we use 3/8" plate table, weld on bar stock and make the jig that way. And for small # of bends or doing it in the field oxy/acet works nice smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 338 Guests and 26 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.