The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#179296 - 08/14/09 02:39 PM Lifepod -- evac gear trailer, stocked for two
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
Pretty slick-looking -- a Thule roof box on a trailer replete with someone's notion of what you need in an emergency. $2300 for the maximum setup.

Apparently this was mentioned on FOX News.

http://lifepod.org/

The next generation of emergency preparedness comes in a pod.

The Life Pod Evacuation Essentials Package is a portable solution to cover your family’s basic needs in the event of an evacuation. This complete emergency kit will keep your family safe and secure when having to quickly evacuate your home.

The Life Pod Evacuation Essentials Package is designed to meet the basic needs of 2 people for 21 days or 4 people for 10 ˝ days. All this with additional space to store your own things. This mobile emergency kit replaces heavy backpacks, duffel bags and boxes of emergency supplies.

You can rest easy knowing that this all-in-one solution is ready to go in the event of an emergency. Simply hook the compact lightweight trailer to your car and you’re off. This mobile kit's unique design aides in transport and makes hauling easy.

SPECIAL FEATURES:

Lightweight Trailer – The high-strength aluminum trailer provides a solution that you can hitch to vehicle or even your motorcycle. The 1 7/8 inch ball allows you to haul this light weight vehicle with even a motorcycle or haul it by hand.

Easy Transport – Simply hook it up to your car, truck, SUV, or motorcycle and you’re ready to go.

Quick Access – Open the lid for full access to your supplies.

Durable protection for supplies – The pod is a waterproof hard shell designed to protect the contents of your Life Pod.

Contents:

For hydration and nutrition:
- (1) Water Purification Tablets- Potable Aqua (50 tablets)
- (1) Aquamira Frontier Pro Water Filter
- (1) Food for Health – 275 servings
- (1) Survival Food Tablets (180 tablets)
- (1) Datrex Food Bars (18 individual bars)
- (1) Alco-Brite Stove Kit w/5 Heat Gel Cans
- (1) 5 gallon collapsible water container

For injuries:
- (1) Lifeline Base Camp First Aid Kit
- (1) Where There is No Doctor Healthcare Book

For communication and light:
- (1) 6-in-1 Whistle/Compass/Thermometer
- (1) Compact Multi-Function Tool & Flashlight
- (1) Shake Flashlight (No batteries needed!)

For easier breathing:
- (4) N-95 Folding Respirators

For shelter and warmth:
- (4) Space All-Weather Sleeping Bags
- (1) Water Proof Matches
- (1) Fire Starter Paste
- (1) Warmers - Hand Size
- (2) Tube Tents

Tools and equipment:
- (1) 15-in-1 Multi Function Pocket Knife
- (1) Tri-Folding Shovel
- (1) Deluxe Sewing Kit
- (1) Leather Gloves
- (1) Signal/Camping Featherweight Mirror

For sanitation and hygiene:

- (2) Bio Tissue 2 pack
- (1) Sanitary Disposable Toilet Bags
- (1) Mini Toilet Tissue 3 pack
- (1) Wet Wipe Towelettes 100 pack

Edited by Dagny (08/14/09 02:44 PM)

#179300 - 08/14/09 02:58 PM Re: Lifepod -- evac gear trailer, stocked for two [Re: Dagny]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
I tell you what there's a lot of gear I would add, and a lot of their stuff I would replace with different stuff. Not to mention if I was going to pull a trailer even that small it sure as heck would hold more gear or at least be able to!

Very cool idea I guess... but it seems like you could put it on your car and keep it with you at all times and then not have to hassle with a trailer no matter the size.

#179310 - 08/14/09 03:12 PM Re: Lifepod -- evac gear trailer, stocked for two [Re: Todd W]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

The website claims this trailer can be pulled by hand.

Don't know what the weight is.

With the hurricane season here, it could behoove someone with more money than time to go ahead and get this. It's certainly better than nothing.

I prefer my teardrop trailer which is stored near the mountains and is well-stocked with First Aid and other gear.

But I couldn't pull it by hand more than a few feet (1000 pounds).

And it's not with me right now.

#179313 - 08/14/09 03:18 PM Re: Lifepod -- evac gear trailer, stocked for two [Re: Dagny]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

I have a trailer that weighs probably 300lb unloaded and I can easily pull it by hand even in the dirt and on a slight incline. It utilizes large truck tires and a large truck axle. I could probably slim down the tires/rims and axle and move it a lot easier too. I've loaded it down with firewood for 3 nights, camping gear w/food and water for 3 nights for 4 people, etc... and that was only up to the VERY LOW edge probably 1.5' or 2' tall. Double that if I add supports, and the trailer still is reasonably light to move by hand and holds enough gear to live out of for 3+ days. That thing doesn't even come with water! Pills, and an empty container that's no good frown

I've moved 1500lb jetski trailers by hand w/jetskis on them the smaller tires really make it much easier, and two of us have pushed it up a rather steep driveway...

I think you could make your own setup MUCH better for the same pric and then add your own gear you mostl ikely already have laugh

#179316 - 08/14/09 04:25 PM Re: Lifepod -- evac gear trailer, stocked for two [Re: Todd W]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Todd W

I think you could make your own setup MUCH better for the same pric and then add your own gear you mostl ikely already have laugh

No doubt. Most of us could do a lot of things better and cheaper, if we took the time to research and do it.

Many people build their own teardrops -- much nicer than mine.

But I bought my teardrop from a manufacturer. It was a lot faster, and easier, than building one.

If everyone was a do-it-yourselfer, where would our economy be?

OK, so that's not a great analogy....

;-)

#179323 - 08/14/09 05:21 PM Re: Lifepod -- evac gear trailer, stocked for two [Re: Dagny]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
Not real impressed.

The selection of gear isn't all that great, the trailer and pod while sexy looking seem to be slightly overpriced, and the entire combo is basically a bare bones unit.

At best I would get a small trailer locally for less, pack my stuff on it in the totes that I am already using and have more gear and be more comfortable/better fed/better equipped.

Ok, I see now, it's really who can look best while surviving. I lose, oh well.

#179326 - 08/14/09 05:47 PM Re: Lifepod -- evac gear trailer, stocked for two [Re: Dagny]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
Hell, I carry that in my backpack.

#179329 - 08/14/09 06:00 PM Re: Lifepod -- evac gear trailer, stocked for two [Re: Dagny]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Dagny

No doubt. Most of us could do a lot of things better and cheaper, if we took the time to research and do it.

Many people build their own teardrops -- much nicer than mine.

But I bought my teardrop from a manufacturer. It was a lot faster, and easier, than building one.

If everyone was a do-it-yourselfer, where would our economy be?

OK, so that's not a great analogy....

;-)

Haha, I get what you are saying.

But really.. if I`m hauling a darn trailer I`m gonna have at least 10 gallons of water, propane, a real stove, etc... The gear is so minimalist its like why not just use a bag.

#179339 - 08/14/09 06:34 PM Re: Lifepod -- evac gear trailer, stocked for two [Re: Todd W]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Haha, I get what you are saying.

But really.. if I`m hauling a darn trailer I`m gonna have at least 10 gallons of water, propane, a real stove, etc... The gear is so minimalist its like why not just use a bag.

Well, it does include purification tablets so you can safely get some water from a puddle or the floodwaters. ;-)

Now that you mention it, what's going to kill me is hauling the water that I'll need to re-hydrate from the exertion of pulling that trailer by hand.

To be fair, it's meant to be pulled by a vehicle.

If your vehicle is going to be full with passengers (as mine will with all the carless neighbors) and your roof can't handle a heavy load (I think my Element is limited to 150 pounds, or less), then a trailer is a very good idea.

This one may not be the best deal. But I applaud the initiative. And if it's getting publicity then so is the larger subject of being equipped to survive.

Reminds me I need to put heavy-duty foil on my grocery list. One of Doug's tips provided gratis in the Mk5 box.

Edited by Dagny (08/14/09 06:36 PM)

#179343 - 08/14/09 06:40 PM Re: Lifepod -- evac gear trailer, stocked for two [Re: JBMat]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: JBMat

Ok, I see now, it's really who can look best while surviving. I lose, oh well.

You've reminded me that a little Lancome wouldn't take up much room.

At least mascara and eye-liner.

Or maybe extra sunglasses.

For morale. Mine and others.

Edited by Dagny (08/14/09 09:00 PM)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.