Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
Yep! It's ridiculous.

#178198 - 07/30/09 08:00 PM Re: Water Debate. Can it go bad? [Re: Todd W]
JohnE Offline
Addict

Loc: Southern Cal
"commie liberals" as opposed to what, PHRASECENSOREDPOSTERSHOULDKNOWBETTER. Conservatives?

And thus ends another thread for me.

"and all the lousy little poets
comin round
tryin' to sound like Charlie Manson"

The Future/Leonard Cohen

#178199 - 07/30/09 08:03 PM Re: Water Debate. Can it go bad? [Re: JohnE]
JohnE Offline
Addict

If we're gonna start censoring the word "PHRASECENSOREDPOSTERSHOULDKNOWBETTER." then we damn well better start censoring the word "commie" when it's applied to our legally elected administration.

To do otherwise is not only illogical, it is hypocrisy at it's finest.

comin round

The Future/Leonard Cohen

#178200 - 07/30/09 08:04 PM Re: Water Debate. Can it go bad? [Re: JohnE]
JohnE Offline
Addict

Unbelievable, let me try this again since I don't know better.

If we're going to censor the word f-a-s-c-i-s-t, then start censoring the word "commie".

comin round

The Future/Leonard Cohen

#178213 - 07/30/09 08:46 PM Re: Water Debate. Can it go bad? [Re: benjammin]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Blast enters, cocks an eyebrow at Ben, then gives a meaningful glance towards the naughty corner.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#178238 - 07/31/09 03:09 AM Re: Water Debate. Can it go bad? [Re: Blast]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
If the water is sterile to start with and is in sealed sterile food safe containers it will not go bad.
If the water is in open containers or has living algae or bacteria in it they will grow, especially if there is anything in the water to feed them. Most algae only need basic minerals and sunlight.
So chlorinate your clean water before storing it or sterilize it with heat just like you were canning it.
Another thing that can happen is if the container leaches chemicals into the water, but that should not be a worry if the container is a food safe container.

Water can pick up scents from around it through plastics. After a while it might smell like a musty basement if you are storing it in a musty basement, or like oil if you are storing it near fuel.

Chlorine will eventually gas off even if the water is in a sealed plastic container but it will already have killed any pathogens that might have been in the water or container. That means the water would have to be contaminated from an outside source and so long as the container is still sealed the water will not be contaminated.
Even if the water did get contaminated by algae or bacteria your basic water treatment, chemical or boiling, would make it safe again.

However you will find recommendations all over the place to replace your water supply every 6 months from all sorts of experts. I have not found any of these expert opinions which are backed up by any research.

#178245 - 07/31/09 07:53 AM Re: Water Debate. Can it go bad? [Re: scafool]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Actually it sounds like y'all are blaming the wrong end of the political spectrum. Most of the water rules for distribution were written by politically connected ranchers and farmers, sometimes miners, to protect the financial interests of their industry back in the 18 and 1900s.

The rules divided up every gallon that flows down the watershed. The way the rules, some dating back to the 1800s, were written any retention of water on a person's property was seen as theft of water rights from the parties downstream. These rules were written a long time before the term environmentalism was coined.

Back when 'Whiskey's for drinking and water's for fighting over' pretty much explained it. It was all about water rights as a way of exerting control over business rivals. There were several brush fire wars fought over water rights as large ranchers, often with ranches the size of counties, and farmers consolidated their holdings and ran smaller outfits out of business.

You can complain about some liberal input into how the water is divided up presently. Environmental rules give the wildlife and fishes a cut they didn't get before, but the custom of having rules banning collecting water, including rainfall, predate the environmentalists by a very long time. The rules were ostensibly intended to keep people from damming large flows for commercial use but water rights were weapons. Often weapons of spite so the sloppy wording that technically bans running a rain gutter to a barrel may have been intentional.

Of course nobody in a very long time has been prosecuted for collecting rainwater according to an article I read. There are several businesses in the SW, one of which is run by an old hippie, that specialize in rainwater collection systems despite their entire business model being in violation of the law.

Ideally you could work toward getting the law changed. But if your just figuring to cast blame you need to direct your ire at a bunch of rich and politically connected farmers and ranchers who ran things a long time ago. Hippies and tree huggers had nothing to do with it.

#178255 - 07/31/09 12:57 PM Re: Water Debate. Can it go bad? [Re: benjammin]
Horus Offline
Journeyman

Loc: MA

#178313 - 07/31/09 11:17 PM Re: Water Debate. Can it go bad? [Re: Horus]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Okay, I had to take the day off today to go be in the naughty corner. No more colorful adjectives. At $60 an hour, that little stunt cost me.

Anyone want to bail me out of the naughty corner yet? The wife says she's going to the bar tonight, and since I can't go (stuck in the naughty corner) she's making it a lady's night out.

Don't let this happen to you. Keep it clean, keep the politics out of it.

Ben, who is tired of wearing the pointy cone hat...

#178333 - 08/01/09 02:16 AM Re: Water Debate. Can it go bad? [Re: benjammin]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
You weren't alone in your misdeeds. I noticed a decided leaning of your antagonist in more than just his thread.

Take the hat off. I need my traffic cone back.

RIP OBG

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 456 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.