Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#176119 - 07/12/09 09:49 PM Re: WetFire Tinder - Foil Packets Coming Apart [Re: DannyL]
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, WA
Originally Posted By: DannyL
Originally Posted By: JohnN
I think the esbin fuel tabs need to stay dry, and not sure if you can light it with a spark. If you look at the picture on the product page, this kind of wet resistance is perfect for the Pacific NW.

-john

I know, I've seen the ads. But I'm really not that interested in starting a fire in a cup of water. Tinder-quik works in the wet also. I live and work in southest alaska, we get over 150 inches of rain a year. Then it starts snowing.
I've always been wary of "new and improved", I guess I'll always be that way.

Ha ha. It sounds like you *should* be interested in being able to start a fire in a cup of water! :-)

Actually, I'm originally from Sitka, so I know what you mean. Probably why I'm concerned about starting fire in the wet so much.

-john

#176150 - 07/13/09 01:32 AM Re: WetFire Tinder - Foil Packets Coming Apart [Re: DannyL]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Esbit needs to stay sealed up or it gets hard to light. And can't get the smell out of your gear- think rancid fish oil, moth balls, and something really vile tossed in for kicks.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#176376 - 07/14/09 05:59 PM Re: WetFire Tinder - Foil Packets Coming Apart [Re: ironraven]
Mike_H Offline
Addict

Loc: SE PA
I have the gold foil pack ones...

Just not impressed with it all in all... I like Tinder Quik much much more...

#176401 - 07/14/09 09:59 PM Re: WetFire Tinder - Foil Packets Coming Apart [Re: Mike_H]
raptor Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Europe
When it comes to tinder/kindling I like LMF Maya sticks a lot. Non toxic, water resistant. You can cut it in order to get the size you need or you can make shavings. Burns great. And doesn´t need to be sealed. When you combine it with TinderQuik it´s great solution.

#176418 - 07/15/09 12:22 AM Re: WetFire Tinder - Foil Packets Coming Apart [Re: cedfire]
falcon5000 Offline
Addict

I've checked my BOB and PSK and I've had several wet fire tinders that came unglued as well. I unfortunately had 2 tubes and 1 box of them and have lost several already due to them coming unglued. I'm going to see if I can still use them in a fire, I may not can strike them but they still may make tinder. I may have to go back to cotton balls and PJ until a better solution is made. Cotton balls are very cheap and effective providing they are dry.

#176420 - 07/15/09 12:49 AM Re: WetFire Tinder - Foil Packets Coming Apart [Re: falcon5000]
cedfire Offline
Addict

Loc: Orygun
Well, I haven't heard anything back from the UST folks yet. Hopefully they have checked out this thread after JohnN directed them to it.

#176443 - 07/15/09 05:36 AM Re: WetFire Tinder - Foil Packets Coming Apart [Re: cedfire]
CSG Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Idaho
Has anyone picked up the phone and called them??

#176462 - 07/15/09 12:55 PM Re: WetFire Tinder - Foil Packets Coming Apart [Re: CSG]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: CSG
Has anyone picked up the phone and called them??

I'll be hopefully seeing them next week at Outdoor Retailer in SLC. Assuming they don't shoot me on sight. shocked It's on my list to discuss with them.
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#176865 - 07/19/09 04:05 PM Re: WetFire Tinder - Foil Packets Coming Apart [Re: cedfire]
nancie Offline
Stranger

To those concerned about WetFire.

I am sorry to hear some of you are having problems with WetFire.
Hopefully this will ease some of your concerns.

If sealed the WetFire should last at least 5 years (our warranty) – see video on YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GU0nOdjZ2Yo

1. Yes, if exposed to air it does degrade the effectiveness of the WetFire. If exposed to air they should last approximately 1 year.
2. The residue some of you are seeing is nontoxic and is part of the process of making this product. If you would like a complete chemical explanation of this, please call and I can email you a copy.
3. The individual way we are packaging has not changed, and seams are sonically welded, only the color of the package has changed from gold to grey
They are made to be opened easily. In an emergency situation physical functions in a hypothermic state are limited ext: hard to use fingers.
Those of you who have been very cold know what I am talking about.
4. The WetFire cube is made to crumble for ease of use and exposure to more surface area.
To use:
Break open package
Shave a small amount of shavings from the cube and light, then if desired light the cube.
It is almost impossible to light just the cube without the shavings. It would be like lighting a huge log rather than starting with shavings.
Advantages of WetFire:
Will light is very wet conditions. Even if the whole cube is submerged in water, simply shake off water, shave off some tinder and light.
Can use cube multiple times. As long as there is still white powder to be exposed, simply scrape off black residue and relight.

Remember to always have a backup to everythng you carry. Even the best, well thoughtout products can fail.

If any of you have WetFire you received and were opened, please give us a call and we will replace it, no charge.

We stand behind all our products and want to make the best products possible.
If you have trouble with any of our products please contact us directly, so we can solve the problem.

We want to make the best because people’s lives depend upon our products!

Nancie Weston
Director of Commercial Sales
866-479-7994 ext:111
nweston@ultimatesurvival.com

#176947 - 07/20/09 12:58 PM Re: WetFire Tinder - Foil Packets Coming Apart [Re: nancie]
falcon5000 Offline
Addict

Fair enough nancie, I can say this much about your product, I can say that I had a old wet fire still in the wrapper in a old handle of a old strike force fire starter or what ever you called it back then and struck a spark from it over 10 years later and it lit right up with no problems. That did impress me but the foil wrapping had never came unglued. I am also thankful that you came on this forum to address concerns about your product as well, but I still wonder if there is a issue with a few bad batches that did not get processed correctly. My old wetfire cubes have never had issues with coming apart like the newer ones that I had bought but I I'm glad you will take back the bad batches and send replacements. I still like these tinder's but I wish the air didn't degrade them as much.

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (adam2), 444 Guests and 319 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.