Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#178689 - 08/05/09 05:05 PM Laptop or Desktop?
Matt26 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Vermont
The Wife and I are debating getting a second computer. We currently have a desk top and are debating between a laptop or desk top. Without getting into the hardware/brands argument, what do you prefer and why?
use for us is really just normal wordproccesing, online for bills and research. (Although I do like to play a little HALO once in a while)

EDIT: I should add, The reason we are looking at getting a second computer is that our current desktop has been in the shop for the last 35 days and we are looking for sort of a back up system. A laptop would have come in very handy on our recent drive out to Minnesota from Vermont. total of seven days in the car.

Edited by Matt26 (08/05/09 05:39 PM)

#178691 - 08/05/09 05:17 PM Re: Laptop or Desktop? [Re: Matt26]
sushi Offline

The less you know about computers the more you need a laptop. They are more reliable and you can easily bring it to people to sort out when they go wrong.
The PC boys at work become your support for the price of a bag of doughnuts :-).
In England we have 'Which?' magazine to give advice on what to buy you must have something like that in the USA.
Sushi

#178694 - 08/05/09 05:30 PM Re: Laptop or Desktop? [Re: sushi]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Arg, posting at work the worthless software known as internet explorer ate my post.
What I was saying was my preference is laptop unless your into always swapping hardware around. Just be careful that some of the low end consumer laptops are desktop replacements and can't really be used on a lap so if your looking at one of those then you may as well just get a desktop.
We just replaced both our laptops with smaller netbooks, much more handy to show years worth of pictures, small enough to go anywhere.

#178695 - 08/05/09 05:32 PM Re: Laptop or Desktop? [Re: sushi]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
It's pretty simple.

Do you travel?

Do you need to use it other than your desk?

If so you need a laptop.

If not then a desktop would be fine.

Desktops are cheaper for comparable systems.

If you get a laptop and are someone who keeps their technology for a while I suggest the 3yr warranty it's normally 100 bucks and well worth it because laptops are prone to break if you move them often. Also you will need to replace the battery at least once in a 3 year time span or enjoy recharging it a lot.

I pretty much get a new laptop every 2 years. I use it only for travel, and only lose a couple hundred when I sell it which is good based on what I pay and how quick computers decrease in prices.

I wait for laptops to go on sale at Dell then use my purchase program, and additional coupons to save even more. I think my most recent laptop cost $700 shipped/taxed/etc and it's normal rate was 900-1200. I got the 3 year warranty which added I believe $120 to the cost too, and a larger battery. It's one I can play games on or multi-task the crap out of since I work on it.

I use my desktop 99% of the time, and I keep it for approx. 3 years before replacing, however during that time I may upgrade a few things. I build my desktops and have for the last 15 years, and they last others an additional 3-5 years after I am done with them. Use good components and they last a VERY long time. I say 3 years because you don't even need to upgrade every year or two to continue working how you were with the new applications nowdays it's the games that decide if you need faster or better wink

My next desktop will be as soon as the i7 processors, mobos and ram price drops, A LOT!

#178698 - 08/05/09 05:47 PM Re: Laptop or Desktop? [Re: Todd W]
Tom_L Offline
Addict

Since you have a desktop already it would be better to get a laptop as your secondary system IME. Laptops are a lot more portable and totally self-contained. That said, for any serious work (or hardcore gaming if you're into that) a desktop is always preferable. Desktops are much easier to upgrade and tend to offer better performance at the same price.

I use computers all the time and type a lot. I've got both a desktop and laptop at work and use the laptop often, but usually with a full-sized USB keyboard and mouse. Typing on a laptop keyboard is a pain, ergonomically and otherwise.

#178701 - 08/05/09 05:51 PM Re: Laptop or Desktop? [Re: Tom_L]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I've used a laptop (three actually) exclusively for the past 8 years. When I travel I just put my workstation in a bag and walk.

#178702 - 08/05/09 05:51 PM Re: Laptop or Desktop? [Re: sushi]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Laptops have never been more reliable than desktops for comparable age, use and abilities. Laptop components are a compromise and subject to much more daily stress than desktops, which are constructed of more robust components and usually at a lower cost due to scale etc. For every desktop that came across my bench, I'd estimate at least three equivalent laptops came in for repairs for the same level of use.

However, I would still recommend a laptop for the OP. Since they already have a desktop, they could enjoy the added versatility of a laptop. The ability to go wi-fi or 3G abroad as well as on demand file access wherever they go is quite handy.

#178707 - 08/05/09 06:13 PM Re: Laptop or Desktop? [Re: benjammin]
Grouch Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ohio
I've switched to a laptop just for the freedom it offers to use it anywhere within my home. I rarely take it on trips.

#178710 - 08/05/09 06:28 PM Re: Laptop or Desktop? [Re: Grouch]
airballrad Offline
Gear Junkie
Enthusiast

Loc: Gulf Coast Florida, USA
I have and use both. Laptops are more expensive to repair if something happens, and you will have to spend more for the horsepower to do graphics-intensive games, but in almost all other ways laptops are king.

I have a tiny netbook I picked up for $250. No moving parts, and will run for 4-5 hours from the battery without a recharge. I still use my desktop most of the time because it is available, and I may get another desktop in the future just because it makes life easier when I need to add a TB of disk space or download video from the camera. In the scenario you describe, a laptop would be a good fit.

#178711 - 08/05/09 07:10 PM Re: Laptop or Desktop? [Re: Todd W]
picard120 Offline
Old Hand

desktop is easily upgradable however laptop can't be done.

do you need to use pc at cottage often?

Do you travel alot and need to use pc.

if you answer yes to the 2 above questions, you need a laptop.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.