Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#17863 - 07/26/03 12:56 AM Re: Soliciting opinions- EDC knife/carry, office.
THIRDPIG Offline
Journeyman

#17864 - 07/26/03 05:07 PM Re: Soliciting opinions- EDC knife/carry, office.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Dockers Mobile Pant: The inside vault pocket holds a folder just as well as an outside pocket in my experience, and keeps the clip hidden. Meanwhile the knee pockets fit a PSK perfectly. These now come in microfiber as well as the original cotton.

ScottEvest: should work well, but looks terrible.

This: http://www.magills.com/pgroup_details.php?pgroupid=364

Start wearing a Sport Coat or a suit. Nobody's going to look in your jacket inside pockets. I have two suits from Kilgour French Stanbury with specially made pockets for my knives.

Better yet, just use a postcard. clip the knife to it lengthwise and put it in the pocket. Not only does it keep the knife in place ready for use, it keeps it from printing through the pocket.

#17865 - 07/26/03 06:23 PM Re: Soliciting opinions- EDC knife/carry, office.
Craig Offline

Loc: Collegeville, PA, USA
You said you will be working "... in an office environment where, though it's pretty casual, nothing even remotely resembling a weapon will be considered acceptable..."

I'm rather curious as to what kind of office you are referring. Casual dress usually goes hand in glove with casual attitudes.

I myself work with the IT guys in the back room of our casual offices. Anything up to a flamethrower would be acceptable, and they would be willing to discuss the flamethrower. The feeling is, "How cool is it?"

The cooler the gadget, the more acceptable.

As far as "weapons" go, letter openers available at your local Staples would make great stabbing daggers. A long, thin, piece of metal like that would slide right through flesh.

A sharpened pencil would also make for a dagger, as would your average high-end pen. Click the pen point down and you are all set.

Your average PC repair kit contains all kinds of "weapons," should one choose to look at such tools in that way.

Craig

#17866 - 07/26/03 09:30 PM Re: Soliciting opinions- EDC knife/carry, office.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Working as a cop, it became de riguer to notice who had a knife clipped to their person. It also became quite obvious that the bad guys were paying attention to who had knives clipped where. My standard practice became to carry my Spyderco Delica completely inside my trouser pocket. If I believed that it would be needed and had the forethought, I could reposition it and use the clip or more importantly, simply have it in hand. If you are interested in neckknives,may I suggest something along the lines of an Emerson La Griffe or a FrontSight HideAway. Both are very small, unobtrusive and imminently usable.

Gomez

#17867 - 07/27/03 12:57 PM Re: Soliciting opinions- EDC knife/carry, office.
Anonymous
Unregistered

First, I owe everybody an apology for not keeping up with the responses here. No excuse, but it's been that kind of week (first week on the new "job", etc.). I do appreciate all the suggestions.

For years I carried a CRKT Sampson's KISS (arguably a 3 inch blade, a little larger than a standard KISS) clipped to the back side of my Palm belt case (which rode horizontally). That was a bit smaller than I'm really comfortable with for a primary knife, but it was a lot better than nothing, it was almost always with me, and well concealed that way. However, some months back I upgraded from a Palm 3xe to a Palm Tungsten T, which is consideably smaller, and the case not large enough to hide even that small knife.

My currently preferred "weekend" carry (if I'm not on the water) is a Gerber Harsey Airframe (plain edge, black handles, 154cm, "1 of 1000", yadda yadda) which has a 4 inch blade. That's a little long for a vertical hip pocket (wallet) carry, though a diagonal rig of some sort might work.

#17868 - 07/27/03 01:08 PM Re: Soliciting opinions- EDC knife/carry, office.
Anonymous
Unregistered

The change pocket might work fine for a standard KISS- but then, there's really not much of a problem concealing a knife of that size. As noted elsewhere, I was hoping to find an inconspicuous carry for something a bit larger.

One thing I've been thinking of- instead of sewn "tunnel loops" etc., maybe just a single piece of, say, 9 oz leather or perhaps eighth-inch polyethelene, with edges cut something like the bottom half of a backwards "D" (to fit the shape of the bottom of a typical front pocket). Just thinking, but a typical clip folder could then be clipped to the top edge of the "insert" and it would ride out of sight, but stable and away from the grit that accumulates in pocket bottoms. I don't know what would be required to retrieve it one-handed, but it might be worth a little experimentation. Hmm...

#17869 - 07/27/03 01:10 PM Re: Soliciting opinions- EDC knife/carry, office.
Anonymous
Unregistered

I was very interested in the Spydercard- I think I heard that they retired them because there was some problem with the lock failing, so you might want to be careful with yours.

But, really, I was looking for a solution for something a bit larger.

#17870 - 07/27/03 01:15 PM Re: Soliciting opinions- EDC knife/carry, office.
Anonymous
Unregistered

I gave up the day-planner thing many years ago, when the Apple Newton came out, and I never looked back- I carry literally hundreds of times more information now than I did then, in much less bulk.

I did use the back of a Palm case for my carry for years, but my current Palm and "cell" phone are both pretty tiny.

It is surprising how difficult it is to find a decent FLAT folder.

#17871 - 07/27/03 01:21 PM Re: Soliciting opinions- EDC knife/carry, office.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for the suggestions. I like the safety pin idea, and I may experiment with that- it's a "mod" that I could apply to a lot of pants with little hassle. I think I'm also going to experiement with the "flat pocket insert" idea that I posted elsewhere.

Don't notice anyone wearing boots in my workplaces lately.

Not sure about the garters- never worn them, but aren't they designed for taller socks than those that usally accompany casual wear.

Not sure if I'd be more embarrassed to have the knife seen or the garters... :-)

#17872 - 07/27/03 01:26 PM Re: Soliciting opinions- EDC knife/carry, office.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for posting the pictures.

I currently carry my keys in a case like that, and it has a couple of things in it- a "hot spark" flint and a Photon 3- although I carry my P-38 in my wallet. I use the big ring at the "bottom" to carry the remote for the car alarm, which in itself makes the whole thing too bulky.

It's a handy device, but not with me as constantly as my wallet and other pocket contents, and a knife it will hold is going to be pretty easily concealable anyway.

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 400 Guests and 28 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.