Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#178393 - 08/02/09 04:00 AM Re: Man in south Sacramento drives off attacking t [Re: Desperado]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
Eldo county I heard is easier... I haven't started my process yet but heard its a lot easier than Sac county.

There are some 'protection' type knvies but I don't know much about them, they are slatned/curved??? Maybe someone knows more.

#178394 - 08/02/09 04:08 AM Re: Man in south Sacramento drives off attacking t [Re: Todd W]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Never NEVER enter a knife fight by choice.

The only thing keeping it from being a gunfight is your opponent forgot his gun.

If things have gotten bad enough to enter knife fighting, and you have no one else to take care of, you forgot one other respectable weapon....

Your feet. Now RUN like your life depends on it, because it does.

RIP OBG

#178398 - 08/02/09 04:25 AM Re: Man in south Sacramento drives off attacking t [Re: Desperado]
RoverOver Offline

Loc: Kali4nya
If you ARE going to "pack/strap"Remember this:Leave your Middle Finger,at Home!

#178399 - 08/02/09 06:33 AM Re: Man in south Sacramento drives off attacking t [Re: RoverOver]
2005RedTJ Offline
Addict

Loc: Birmingham, Alabama
Even more important than carrying the proper tools to defend yourself with is awareness of your surroundings. Wherever I go, I'm always looking to see what's going on around me. I'm a big fan of making eye contact with shifty-looking people, make sure they know that you see them and am prepared for whatever they're thinking of doing.

A lot of the stories you see on the news about people being robbed or worse are the same people you see walking down the street, in their own little world, staring at their shoes.

I've had many occasions where someone just looked very shady and seemed to be working up the courage to try something. 95% of the time, just standing your ground and making good, solid eye contact has made up their mind for them. It may not hurt that everyone I know says I'm a very mean-looking guy.

For the other 5% of the time, they were more than a little surprised when I drew down on them with my 9mm I used to own before I bought the .45 I carry now. I firmly believe in the "speak softly and carry a big stick" philosophy - AKA peace through superior firepower.

#178403 - 08/02/09 11:35 AM Re: Man in south Sacramento drives off attacking t [Re: Desperado]
Grouch Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ohio
Originally Posted By: Desperado
If things have gotten bad enough to enter knife fighting, and you have no one else to take care of, you forgot one other respectable weapon....

I couldn't agree more. I've always said that if someone was coming at me with a knife, I would run at least until I could get a bead on the attacker, on duty or off. I've watched the training videos and getting sliced and diced isn't anything that I ever care to experience.

#178409 - 08/02/09 01:53 PM Re: Man in south Sacramento drives off attacking t [Re: Desperado]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
Originally Posted By: Desperado

It is my understanding that in most, if not all, jurisdictions, "running away" (as my nephew puts it) is your legal duty. You must try to avoid the fight. Failing to run away, or at least trying to run away, might make you partially legally responsible for whatever happens. Your right to defend yourself may not exist if you could have run away and did not.

All law is local and it is best you understand what the local rules are before you need to act.

#178413 - 08/02/09 02:15 PM Re: Man in south Sacramento drives off attacking t [Re: bws48]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Not in Texas.

I was actually shocked what situations the use of lethal is acceptable for when I was in my CHL class. So much so I retained an Self Defense attorney to verify it all.

RIP OBG

#178415 - 08/02/09 02:49 PM Re: Man in south Sacramento drives off attacking t [Re: bws48]
rescueguru Offline
Wanderer

Loc: Southeastern USA
Interesting article and interesting comments about it. Several thoughts came to mind as I read this. Bravo to the gentleman in Sacto. If that happened more often, the events would occur less frequently.

1. Tried by 12 or carried by 6, you choose. Personally I'll take my chances with a jury.
2. First rule of unarmed combat, NEVER be unarmed.
3. I don't carry a weapon because I want to shoot or kill someone. I carry because I don't want to be beaten, robbed, or killed and I won't let that fate befall my family or friends.
4. I want to die at an old age in my bed, NOT tomorrow afternoon on a downtown sidewalk as a victim of a drug crazed crackhead looking for his next hit.
5. It is widely known that "When seconds count,the POLICE are only minutes away". With no offense intended to my brothers in blue, I realize that they are as overworked as all other facets of public safety and severely understaffed. They can't be everywhere all the time.
6. If you see me running, try to keep up. It means that something really bad is about to happen behind me. Probably will go BOOM!!!
7. Memorize these lines: (1.)" Officer or Your Honor, I was in fear for my life. He/She said they were going to KILL me and I believed them." (2.) "I ONLY shot to STOP the threat". (3.) " I'm very upset now officer, I don't feel like answering any questions, please call my lawyer".

MOLON LABE RKBA

#178418 - 08/02/09 03:14 PM Re: Man in south Sacramento drives off attacking teens [Re: clearwater]
picard120 Offline
Old Hand

I carry my folder with me whenever I walk the dog at night. I also carry powerful flashlight to blind any potential muggers.

#178419 - 08/02/09 03:23 PM Re: Man in south Sacramento drives off attacking t [Re: Desperado]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
"I was actually shocked what situations the use of lethal is acceptable for when I was in my CHL class. So much so I retained an Self Defense attorney to verify it all."

Not having much truck with attorneys... they have attorneys who actually specialize in self defense cases??? I wonder if that is just TX?

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 449 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.