Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#178443 - 08/02/09 08:52 PM Re: Pocket Survival Pak PLUS Announced [Re: GradyT34]
JohnE Offline
Addict

Loc: Southern Cal
Hmm...Photon flashlights start as low as $7.95 each, the Muyshondt Aeon starts at $125 and goes up to $295 for the titanium version which they must be extremely proud of.

I'll take 10 Photons and a titanium bowl with some aluminum foil as a cover to boil my water in and still come out WAY ahead financially and I won't have to obsess over losing my extremely overpriced flashlight.

"and all the lousy little poets
comin round
tryin' to sound like Charlie Manson"

The Future/Leonard Cohen

#178449 - 08/02/09 09:28 PM Re: Pocket Survival Pak PLUS Announced [Re: JohnE]
GradyT34 Offline

Photons are great lights (I have at least 10 disbursed throughout kits, autos, etc. and it would be an understatement to say the family has enough fresh batteries to launch the space shuttle), but they do not solve the problem during the moments of sheer terror when one needs a whole lot of light. I reread the offending post and see that the Aeon was suggested as a standard or benchmark for comparison (i.e. as a checklist) in that it covers a lot of bases and for no other reason, seriously.

#178452 - 08/02/09 09:45 PM Re: Pocket Survival Pak PLUS Announced [Re: GradyT34]
JohnE Offline
Addict

Loc: Southern Cal
Given that the thread is about the newest offering from Mr. Ritter and not about solving any problems during moments of sheer terror when one needs a whole lot of light, I fail to see the relevance.

Has Doug claimed that the light in his new survival pack is meant to disable would be attackers by blinding them? If so, please someone point that quote out.

Anyone relying on the flashlight packed away in a survival kit to help them survive an imminent attack by bad guys hasn't thought thru their scenarios very well. The light in question is packed INSIDE a case which is then presumably, packed into a pocket or a rucksack, possibly inside a car or other vehicle etc. If you have to resort to getting out a tiny flashlight from inside a survival kit, you've already lost the fight.

I'd suggest using the proper tools to do the proper job and carry them in such a way as to have them be available and usable when needed and to stop trying to make what seems like a decent little survival kit into a fully weaponised self defense tool.

If we want to talk about the use of a flashlight for self defense, I'll put my Pelican M6 up against anything the size of the Aeon, it may not be as bright but it's bright enough to disorient anyone and in a worsening threat scenario I can use it as a striking weapon, try that with a $295 titanium light that's "smaller than a stick of gum..." I also keep it deployed in such a way as to make it usable for such things, unlike the Photon, the Fenix, and the Minimags that I use in my survival kits.

Sorry, I'm really trying to sound so snarky I just can't see the point of changing the terms of the debate and then knocking something for not being something it never claimed to be.

"and all the lousy little poets
comin round
tryin' to sound like Charlie Manson"

The Future/Leonard Cohen

#178456 - 08/02/09 10:19 PM Re: Pocket Survival Pak PLUS Announced [Re: GradyT34]
boatman Offline
Addict

Loc: Michigan
I think some are picking nits.I believe Doug Ritter picked the PICO light because it wouldn't accidently be turned on in a survival kit.Members of this forum are not the only buyers of the PSP or PSP-PLUS.Few people will spend the time and effort to assemble their own kit as we do.Fewer still would spend the money we have to make one.I must have at least $250.00 in my two kits.These are not even my EDC.
Doug wanted to design a kit that any one could buy and rely on it.He also wanted it affordable.There are too many kits on the market made with sub-standard parts.Have you seen the kits with the toy whistles that you would get in a gum ball machine for a quarter.Half of them do not work.The makers of these kits only care about profits.They do not care about you.
If you could create the perfect survival kit with only the very best components it would cost beyond most pocket books.Even Uncle Sam and NASA use the lowest bidder.It would be interesting to see what others could come up with and see how much it would cost.Then there is the challenge of having everything in it work as intended.
Remember that Doug has to share profits with Adveture Medical Kits and this very site of which we all frequent.If he makes any money from them,it is not much.I dare you to do better...

BOATMAN
John

#178459 - 08/02/09 10:32 PM Re: Pocket Survival Pak PLUS Announced [Re: JohnE]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
Originally Posted By: JohnE

...I just can't see the point of changing the terms of the debate and then knocking something for not being something it never claimed to be.

Nicely put.

I'm delighted with the e-PICO. It's much brighter than I imagined it would be.

In 2002, I was walking home from work on a moonless night when a blackout hit. You can imagine how disturbing that is in Washington, D.C. -- a block from where I'd been attacked a few years prior.

Thankfully, after 9/11 and the anthrax attacks, I'd stashed a first-generation Petzl Zipka headlamp in my purse. That little LED, less capable than the e-PICO, was an absolute God-send when the street blacked-out.

Couldn't see my hand in front of my face until I flipped that light on. The e-PICO would get me home just fine.

#178460 - 08/02/09 10:35 PM Re: Pocket Survival Pak PLUS Announced [Re: boatman]
GradyT34 Offline

Sorry fellows - We feel your pain. You will never again catch these newbie nitpickers either changing the terms of the debate or ". . . knocking something for not being something . . .".

Glad to know that the micro holes in the HD aluminum foil issue has been settled.

We suspect that the Katadyn Micropur MP1 chlorine dioxide tablets have been repackaged specially for this kit. Does anyone know if this is the case?

Grady & Bee

PS Click to join the NitPicker's Guild

Edited by GradyT34 (08/03/09 12:12 AM)
Edit Reason: - - enlightened

#178582 - 08/04/09 02:07 PM Re: Pocket Survival Pak PLUS Announced [Re: GradyT34]
sushi Offline

I think someone said the Petzl e+lite headlamp batteries could be used in Dougs photon. Can it?
S

#178586 - 08/04/09 02:31 PM Re: Pocket Survival Pak PLUS Announced [Re: sushi]
NobodySpecial Offline

The petzl uses a pair of CR2032s, the photon uses either a pair of CR2016s or a single CR2032.

Note the first number is the diameter in mm and the second is the thickness in 0.1mm units. So CR2032 is 20mm dia and 3.2mm thick.
Obviously stacking two batteries gives you twice the voltage.

#178603 - 08/04/09 04:58 PM Re: Pocket Survival Pak PLUS Announced [Re: NobodySpecial]
sushi Offline

Thanks.
Some of Dougs photons and the petzel e+lite headlamp, sound like a good combination then.
If i can find a radio that uses the same ones it'll be great. actually anyone know of a good camping/walking radio. ideally one with a speaker but that also works with headphones for walking.

Sushi

#178624 - 08/04/09 07:49 PM Re: Pocket Survival Pak PLUS Announced [Re: sushi]
acropolis5 Offline
Enthusiast

Google Sinclair Radio for such a unit. Its a tiny earbud radio. I have two. They work great. I'm not sure they're still manufactured, but last I looked, they were still for sale.

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.