Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#177287 - 07/22/09 07:00 PM how do you deal with robbers/vandals ?
picard120 Offline
Old Hand

how do you guys deal with vandals / robbers in front of your home.

I found this CCTV video from Sydney Australia where vandals/ robbers rob stuff but the police don't arrest them. Residents call the police and the police never charge them at all.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=a30_1248278571

Edited by picard120 (07/22/09 07:00 PM)

#177295 - 07/22/09 07:30 PM Re: how do you deal with robbers/vandals ? [Re: picard120]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
Well if the police aren't doing anything.. chase them off with guns!

#177303 - 07/22/09 07:58 PM Re: how do you deal with robbers/vandals ? [Re: NightHiker]
AROTC Offline
Addict

Loc: Manhattan
Quote:
Guns are a little hard to come by in Australia

Pitchforks and torches then? crazy

#177305 - 07/22/09 08:33 PM Re: how do you deal with robbers/vandals ? [Re: AROTC]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
As my Aussie mates would say, get after them with a bloody big knife then.

Or as some of the bushfolk would say, toss a boomerang their way, that'll get their attention.

Yep, gun control at work. Good video that.

#177311 - 07/22/09 08:56 PM Re: how do you deal with robbers/vandals ? [Re: benjammin]
HerbG Offline

I suspect anybody who attempts to protect their property from vandals like those in the video will be in a lot more trouble than the vandals! The same mentality that denies a person the right to own a firearm also denies the right of self defense.

#177388 - 07/23/09 11:39 AM Re: how do you deal with robbers/vandals ? [Re: HerbG]
celler Offline
Addict

Loc: Jupiter, FL
Originally Posted By: HerbG
I suspect anybody who attempts to protect their property from vandals like those in the video will be in a lot more trouble than the vandals! The same mentality that denies a person the right to own a firearm also denies the right of self defense.

Sad, but true. You must get innovative in such an environment. Security cameras help (at least you can cause the authorities some embarrassment), spiked fences, outdoor motion detectors, high intensity motion activated lights, and most importantly, a big dog.

Craig.

#177567 - 07/25/09 01:57 AM Re: how do you deal with robbers/vandals ? [Re: celler]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

A long time ago a local man was robbing people, beating people up and generally giving scofflaws a bad name. Then he just disappeared. Most people figured he had drifted off to greener pastures.

Years later the bones were found and nobody could figure out what had happened. A few speculated that he had tried to poach alligators and the beast had gotten away from him and broken his legs with a swing of its tail. But where was the boat? And nobody would go out without some sort of gear. Had a gator attack sunk the boat and dumped the equipment leaving him to drag himself to the nearest land where the mosquitoes finished him off?

Wouldn't be the first time a big gator had got the best of a hunter but it still seemed strange. The guy wasn't known to hunt. Hunting gators takes a fair bit of grit and hard work. He was more a no-count bully and lazy as the day was long. More a coward who would blanch at facing down something as tough as an alligator. It was a mystery.

Years later the other shoe dropped when an old farmer made a deathbed confession that he had 'taken care of' a thief. He said he had laid a trap, caught him, broke both his legs, paddled him way out into the swamp, dropped him off on a tiny island and went home.

I don't advocate violence and taking the law in ones own hands seldom works out well. But historically bad people often met their end in the deep woods. Sometimes by accident. Sometimes helped along on their journey. Kind of a 'Circle of Life' thing.

#177575 - 07/25/09 03:10 AM Re: how do you deal with robbers/vandals ? [Re: Art_in_FL]
Grouch Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ohio
Swamps are littered with stories that will never be uttered.

#177965 - 07/28/09 10:42 PM Re: how do you deal with robbers/vandals ? [Re: Art_in_FL]
sodak Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: Art_in_FL
A long time ago a local man was robbing people, beating people up and generally giving scofflaws a bad name. Then he just disappeared. Most people figured he had drifted off to greener pastures.

Years later the bones were found and nobody could figure out what had happened. A few speculated that he had tried to poach alligators and the beast had gotten away from him and broken his legs with a swing of its tail. But where was the boat? And nobody would go out without some sort of gear. Had a gator attack sunk the boat and dumped the equipment leaving him to drag himself to the nearest land where the mosquitoes finished him off?

Wouldn't be the first time a big gator had got the best of a hunter but it still seemed strange. The guy wasn't known to hunt. Hunting gators takes a fair bit of grit and hard work. He was more a no-count bully and lazy as the day was long. More a coward who would blanch at facing down something as tough as an alligator. It was a mystery.

Years later the other shoe dropped when an old farmer made a deathbed confession that he had 'taken care of' a thief. He said he had laid a trap, caught him, broke both his legs, paddled him way out into the swamp, dropped him off on a tiny island and went home.

I don't advocate violence and taking the law in ones own hands seldom works out well. But historically bad people often met their end in the deep woods. Sometimes by accident. Sometimes helped along on their journey. Kind of a 'Circle of Life' thing.

Sit down for this one, Art. I agree with everything that you've said. Generally speaking, vengeance just doesn't work out that well for any of the parties. Every once in a while, such as this, I just laugh and consider it justice.

#177994 - 07/29/09 03:08 AM Re: how do you deal with robbers/vandals ? [Re: picard120]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
Get big Dawgs!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 456 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.