Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#178153 - 07/30/09 01:14 PM Re: Retrofitting my house for tornado shelter? [Re: comms]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Quote:
tsk, tsk, tsk. Dear Sir, you need a nice Saturday afternoon, a six pack of PBR, five sticks of dynamite or modified shape charges, one bic lighter and large patch of backyard where you wish to put your new hole in the ground.

This method was strongly considered (though Shiner Bock rather than PBR). However, my property butts up against a 26" natural gas pipeline and the risk of excessive boominess is just too great. frown

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#178155 - 07/30/09 01:26 PM Re: Retrofitting my house for tornado shelter? [Re: Blast]
7point82 Offline
Addict

Loc: Orange Beach, AL
Originally Posted By: Blast
Quote:
tsk, tsk, tsk. Dear Sir, you need a nice Saturday afternoon, a six pack of PBR, five sticks of dynamite or modified shape charges, one bic lighter and large patch of backyard where you wish to put your new hole in the ground.

This method was strongly considered (though Shiner Bock rather than PBR). However, my property butts up against a 26" natural gas pipeline and the risk of excessive boominess is just too great. frown

-Blast

Do the pipeline owners/operators know you live there? They might offer you an incentive to relocate. lol wink

#178157 - 07/30/09 01:35 PM Re: Retrofitting my house for tornado shelter? [Re: Blast]
Still_Alive Offline
Finally, I am a

Loc: Utah
the risk of excessive boominess is just too great. frown

-Blast

But oh what a nice boom it would be--even if it was your last.

#178252 - 07/31/09 12:15 PM Re: Retrofitting my house for tornado shelter? [Re: Blast]
Greg_Sackett Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: KC, MO
This method was strongly considered (though Shiner Bock rather than PBR).

Ah... Shiner Bock and explosives. It really doesn't get any better than that.

One of the best things about moving from MD to MO (apart from the gun laws) was that I can buy Shiner in the grocery store here. Woohoo!

I will say that living outside of TX has spoiled me as far as basements go, and I will never be without one again. And this built in concrete room thing totally rocks!

Greg

#178494 - 08/03/09 02:00 PM Re: Retrofitting my house for tornado shelter? [Re: Blast]
williamlatham Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Stafford, VA, USA
Blast,

The latest issue of Mother Earth News has an article on earth-bag building that would get you a relatively bomb or tornado proof outbuilding. You're a little tall to be a hobbit, but I guess you could change the decor a little.

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Do-It-Yourself/Earthbag-Building-Garden-Shed.aspx

Bill

#178498 - 08/03/09 02:44 PM Re: Retrofitting my house for tornado shelter? [Re: williamlatham]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Oh, that is cool! Not enough room left in my backyard, though. :-(
Hmmm, it triggers memories of a similar structure built out of bags of concrete. If I remember correctly a person stacked up unopened bags of cement, drove peices of rebar through it, then hosed everything down. The cement harden and the little house was ready.

-Blast
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#178531 - 08/03/09 10:15 PM Re: Retrofitting my house for tornado shelter? [Re: williamlatham]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
Blast, talk to Septic Tank Companies. They make Tornado Shelters that are very strong, above ground, and very effective.

Most folks have the shelters placed in the back yard and then (if they care enough to bother) have loads of dirt trucked in and placed on the sides and tops.

#178666 - 08/05/09 02:02 AM Re: Retrofitting my house for tornado shelter? [Re: Blast]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

I wanted something inside the house rather than having to run through the storm to the shelter. The water table is around 5' deep, maybe a little less here depending on recent rains, hence no basements.

Oh well, one more reason my next home will be a monolithic dome.
-Blast

With that sort of slab going through it safely and effectively will be a major undertaking. It can be done but you would need to hire an engineer who specializes in such things ($), a contractor with experience is such things ($) who will use a lot of specialized equipment ($) to head off the cables and restore the integrity of the slab with a previously unplanned for hole in it. There is the construction motto: With enough time ($), materials ($), manpower ($), and money ($!$!$!)we can do anything.

Instead of all that how about a simple 6' or 8' square bump-out off the rear of the house. There are several small storm and tornado shelter designs that would fit in that footprint.

You would be building a free-standing storm room just a couple of inches off the back wall of your house. Ideally the design would be short enough to tuck underneath the roof overhang of the existing house as this would simply roof design. The gap between the existing house exterior and the shelter would be covered, inside and out, with a lightweight covering to keep the wind and rain out but designed to break away under if the house is swept away. Such shelters are required, for structural reasons, to be completely isolated from the house.

Typical shelter designs are typically 2x4s 16"OC with lots of connecting steel overlaid with double layers of 3/4" plywood and 18 ga galvanized steel sheet. Typical fastening of the exterior is 2" and 4" OC with 3" deck screws. Loads of screws. Those shelters are sometimes rated for an F-4 tornado (207 to 260 mph)and might give you some chance of surviving a F-5 (261 to 318 mph) as long as a windblown truck doesn't land on it. Once constructed the exterior of the shelter can be covered with material to match the exterior of the house.

#178676 - 08/05/09 12:05 PM Re: Retrofitting my house for tornado shelter? [Re: Art_in_FL]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
Instead of all that how about a simple 6' or 8' square bump-out off the rear of the house. There are several small storm and tornado shelter designs that would fit in that footprint.

Hmmm, that has some definite possibilities.
-Blast

#178743 - 08/06/09 12:08 AM Re: Retrofitting my house for tornado shelter? [Re: Blast]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
Go round (he whispers enticingly) Go round. You know you want to.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (NAro, Ren), 444 Guests and 27 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.