Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#177852 - 07/27/09 07:30 PM Re: I was NOT prepared for that (TORNADO FAIL) [Re: comms]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
Originally Posted By: comms
...snip... Maybe not even all the way underground and it could store preparedness equipment/goods as well.

Now that I think of it, NY does not seem a likely tornado area, so perhaps an in ground shelter is overkill b

There averages 1-2 tornados/year on Long Island - I was in an F0 in 1969 not far from where the storm was last night (it went just south of me BTW)

The problem with Underground where Jessup lives is the same problem with underground in New Orleans - H2O - He lives on the south shore - and I believe on one of the barrier islands to Long Island - dig, and you have water
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#177858 - 07/27/09 08:15 PM Re: I was NOT prepared for that (TORNADO FAIL) [Re: KG2V]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Originally Posted By: KG2V_was_kc2ixe
Originally Posted By: comms
...snip... Maybe not even all the way underground and it could store preparedness equipment/goods as well.

Now that I think of it, NY does not seem a likely tornado area, so perhaps an in ground shelter is overkill b

There averages 1-2 tornados/year on Long Island - I was in an F0 in 1969 not far from where the storm was last night (it went just south of me BTW)

The problem with Underground where Jessup lives is the same problem with underground in New Orleans - H2O - He lives on the south shore - and I believe on one of the barrier islands to Long Island - dig, and you have water

First, congratulations on coming out okay.

Second, I used to build and was in on design improvements to an above ground storm shelter originally designed by Texas Tech. Two of these shelters withstood the May 1999 storm in Oklahoma that caused the Fujita scale to be rewritten.

I am not anywhere near your area, but if you have questions please PM me and I will try to help.

FWIW, I have one in my own home. My only regret is I did not make it bigger.

RIP OBG

#177888 - 07/28/09 01:37 AM Re: I was NOT prepared for that (TORNADO FAIL) [Re: Desperado]
sodak Offline
Addict

I'd like to know more about that 1999 tornado... The F Scale used to go up to F12 back in the 70's.

Keep in mind, you can be a "safe" distance from a tornado, but the rotating winds around it are still easily strong enough to kill you with debris. There are some unreal videos on youtube showing cars in a parking lot getting blasted up into the air with absolutely NO warning.

#177898 - 07/28/09 06:07 AM Re: I was NOT prepared for that (TORNADO FAIL) [Re: Jesselp]
aloha Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Hawaii, USA
Glad you made it through ok. Take care.

#177900 - 07/28/09 08:49 AM Re: I was NOT prepared for that (TORNADO FAIL) [Re: aloha]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
You mean the 1969 tornado that I survived? No warings, F0 (baby) and passed my parents house by - missed by about 30 ft (estimated funnel diameter was under 10 ft) - took down a BIG Maple in front of my house, took the roof off a couple of houses acrodd the street, ripped up a BUNCH of 200-300 year old trees in the park a block away, and ended - was on the ground for oh, 14-1/2 mile, total. Dark, windy, rainy and LOUD

A lot of people got lucky, as most of the time it was on the ground was in the park

That's it - total memories of a 6 year old. Only reason I can remember the year is that my parents 2-3 week old car was ALMOST destroyed - a HUGE branch (about 12") came off the OTHER maple, and was falling for the car - it got hung up by the crotch of the tree, and stopped oh, 6" short of the roof of the car
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#177917 - 07/28/09 02:51 PM Re: I was NOT prepared for that (TORNADO FAIL) [Re: sodak]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Originally Posted By: sodak
I'd like to know more about that 1999 tornado... The F Scale used to go up to F12 back in the 70's.

Keep in mind, you can be a "safe" distance from a tornado, but the rotating winds around it are still easily strong enough to kill you with debris. There are some unreal videos on youtube showing cars in a parking lot getting blasted up into the air with absolutely NO warning.

Never heard of that. I had only heard of it going up to F5.

After the storm there was talk of adding F6, but the powers that be just call it the enhanced scale. EF0 thru EF5.

Look at it this way:

When a tornado pulls an interstate highway up (including the road base), it is BAD NEWS!

I am sure you can find more info from NOAA/NWS and The University of Oklahoma.

RIP OBG

#177930 - 07/28/09 05:06 PM Re: I was NOT prepared for that (TORNADO FAIL) [Re: Desperado]
James_Van_Artsdalen Offline
Addict

Loc: Texas
Originally Posted By: Desperado

When a tornado pulls an interstate highway up (including the road base), it is BAD NEWS!

That happened in the 1997 Jarrell, TX F5 also. That sucker dug stuff out of the ground (including roads!) over a 7 mile by 1/2 mile area. An in-ground shelter had better have a steel door and strong hinges & lock to stay intact through that monster.

Fortunately they're rare, and tornadoes don't have the water problem that is the bad news in a hurricane.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 449 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.