Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#177936 - 07/28/09 05:38 PM Re: Where is your household first aid kit? [Re: JohnE]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
My large kit (EMT bag plus additional trauma items) Sits in plain sight on a kitchen counter about equal distant from the front and back door
Smaller kits reside in my bedroom, basement, each bathroom, 2 in the 6 bay garage, each vehicle, my home emergency bag (dedicated dining room closet, called the emergency closet) and in my trailer.

#177951 - 07/28/09 07:31 PM Re: Where is your household first aid kit? [Re: Stu]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Originally Posted By: Stu
My large kit (EMT bag plus additional trauma items) Sits in plain sight on a kitchen counter about equal distant from the front and back door
Smaller kits reside in my bedroom, basement, each bathroom, 2 in the 6 bay garage, each vehicle, my home emergency bag (dedicated dining room closet, called the emergency closet) and in my trailer.

Wow, so many! What's it like when it comes to updating the meds in each kit? How do you keep track of what has been used and remaining of you basic supplies?

#178000 - 07/29/09 03:31 AM Re: Where is your household first aid kit? [Re: Roarmeister]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
Originally Posted By: Roarmeister
Wow, so many! What's it like when it comes to updating the meds in each kit? How do you keep track of what has been used and remaining of you basic supplies?

A small zip-tie holds the zipper(s) closed, and makes a tamper resistant seal, there is a dated tag attached by the zip-ties. Each kit has a dated contents checklist in it, when the kit is opened stuff is used, and is replaced ASAP, and the kit resealed.
I've never had a problem getting past a zip-tie, I can tell at a glance if someone has been in a kit. I often deal with sharp knives, sharp tools, power saws and fire.
My Garage is 150' from my house, the bathrooms are on different floors. Experience has taught me a kit in the house does not help with cuts in the garage, or when in the vehicle. I take pain meds as little as possible, so meds in a kit are not used often at all. I check each kit, and my emergency bags on New Year's day (along with changing my smoke/carbon monoxide detector batteries), and each time change day.
Overkill for many, but works for me!
I also have a resupply cabinet in my master bath, which has boxes of ready use bandages and meds.

Edited by Stu (07/29/09 03:43 AM)

#178004 - 07/29/09 04:52 AM Re: Where is your household first aid kit? [Re: MDinana]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Originally Posted By: MDinana
Originally Posted By: Desperado
Each vehicle (4) and the 5th Wheel RV has an extensive FAK in an USGI M3 bag that a SF Medic turned MD helped me design. Some of the stuff in those is for when a trained responder shows up but has no gear. (Airways, etc.)

Can I ask where you got your supplies? I've only seen one place that sells IV solutions- bpmedicalsupplies.com- (apparently w/o a doc presciption?), and only a few (ie, Gall's) that sells Oropharyngeal airway and endotracheal tubes.

I'd love to toss a few bags of NS into my car kit, and MAYBE a few ET tubes with a laryngoscope. Maybe keep a few in my home FAB too, if only to stop the hangover after a day of wine tasting (ie, getting drunk in public but trying to remain sophisticated).

OP's and ET's "might" have an NSN on them.

No Rx meds. No fluids, it has been WWWAAAAYYYY too long since I did that in CLS course. The patient would bleed to death from all the "swing and a miss" tries.
Plus there really isn't room.

Edit:
D'OH! I didn't answer the question!
Medfasco, BP, RedFlare, and uh the gettin' place. (I have built homes for about 12 MD's ranging from GP to high end trauma Doc.)

Edited by Desperado (07/29/09 06:07 AM)

RIP OBG

#178098 - 07/29/09 10:33 PM Re: Where is your household first aid kit? [Re: Dan_McI]
samhain Offline
Addict

Loc: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
The main household FAK is the big tackle box.

I used to keep the emergency stash of Rx meds in there, but have put them in each of our travel toiletries kit. (Most likely to have in a grab and go situation and if we get separated then each has their own stuff).

Each car has it's own smaller FAK (both of which I'm not completely happy with and have a ongoing shopping list to augment each)

Also have a small personal FAK in my EDC bag.

#178184 - 07/30/09 05:16 PM Re: Where is your household first aid kit? [Re: scafool]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
we have 4 of them.

upstairs, in the cabinet by the bathroom, in it's own basket

basement, in my shop, dedicated case hanging on the wall

shed, in a small ammo can

garage, in a small ammo can

plus each car has at least 1 dedicated FAK bag

My jeep has a small trauma kit too.

#178210 - 07/30/09 08:33 PM Re: Where is your household first aid kit? [Re: Desperado]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: Desperado

Edit:
D'OH! I didn't answer the question!
Medfasco, BP, RedFlare, and uh the gettin' place. (I have built homes for about 12 MD's ranging from GP to high end trauma Doc.)

The gettin place, huh? lol.

I'm not too worried about OPA and NPA's. They're cheap. Even the ET tubes are relatively inexpensive. It's the freaking laryngoscope that's $100 plus. Probably overkill anyway. I mean, of all the times I've used my car's FAK, I've only needed an airway once. And she was dead anyway, so it probably wouldn't have made a difference. A seatbelt might have, however.

#178242 - 07/31/09 04:55 AM Re: Where is your household first aid kit? [Re: MDinana]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Amazing how dead ends the need for first aid, right?

I did forget the Epi pens. We had a kid on my son's travel hockey team that had some SERIOUS allergies. I have had to administer them two different times, followed by ER visits.

No scope, just the OP and NP airways. ET's were thrown in because they were in his bag of spare goodies. Gotta hope they aren't needed or the scope fairy stops at the scene.

RIP OBG

#178248 - 07/31/09 10:42 AM Re: Where is your household first aid kit? [Re: Desperado]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
The thing that amazes me - My sons soccer teams - both of them

League 1- Practice - NO FAK, games, small kit, MATCHES, there is a full kit, often with Vol Ambulance hanging around (partly because there are like 1000 kids playing, partly because most fields are right near the corps

League 2 - a smaller less serious leagure - no travel. Practice - it's up to the coach - no league supplied kits
Games - thee is a small, fairly pathetic kit at the front table - I helped restock it - the strange part - the director at the table is a RN at one of the local hospitals. You'd think...

I usually grab my smaller truck bag, and have it with me, plus I have some stuff in each of my kids gear bags (Tape, Moleskin, 4x4s, bandaids, along with things like hand cleaner, napkins, sunscreen and bug spray) - more than that, I'll use my kit
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#178260 - 07/31/09 02:30 PM Re: Where is your household first aid kit? [Re: KG2V]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Our association provided funding for each team to have a new FAK each year. The first year I took one look at the previous years kit and took over the job of being the FAK dad. I convinced the team parents to work out of a FAK I owned and to use the funds to replace my items as needed.

This started the team much better prepared, and actually allowed for savings in the end, because it was rare for it to be used.

Under the old plan nobody managed the kit. Replacing it each year created numerous redundancies in low use items and shortages in common use items.

Finally we wound up with a parent combo of Dad (Trauma Doc) / Mom (Paramedic + RN), and I became logistics chief, and self loading luggage.

RIP OBG

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 301 Guests and 42 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.