The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 7 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#171996 - 04/25/09 04:46 PM Re: Questions From a Non-Fisherman [Re: Mike_H]
EdD270 Offline
Journeyman

Loc: White Mountains of Arizona
Another item I think should be included in a survival kit is a small frog gig. These are small, light, and can be attached to any length of pole handle improvised when needed. They can be used for spearing fish, frogs, and other small animals and sometimes birds.
Just my thoughts.

#172007 - 04/25/09 08:50 PM Re: Questions From a Non-Fisherman [Re: EdD270]
Kris Offline
Addict

Loc: A Canadian Back in Canada
Originally Posted By: EdD270
Another item I think should be included in a survival kit is a small frog gig. These are small, light, and can be attached to any length of pole handle improvised when needed. They can be used for spearing fish, frogs, and other small animals and sometimes birds.
Just my thoughts.

Instead of the frog gig, carry some nails. Packs up smaller and has a few more uses. And best of all... its not illegal!

#172039 - 04/26/09 01:28 PM Re: Questions From a Non-Fisherman [Re: ]
Kris Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
Over at my site I've discussed fishing in depth often, frequently and constantly. I'm an expert fisherman and I can tell you one thing. If you don't have a fishing kit in your survival kit then you're not going to get food probably. I came to a decision early on in my survival kit building career and that decision was this.

"Wherever you are there are most likely going to be fish. All freshwater fish are edible and most seawater fish are edible. If I don't have anything to catch fish easily with then I probably won't be able to catch any."

I struggled as I built kit after kit and included what I felt to be not very concise or acceptable fishing kits. Doug's Kit includes a great and concise assortment, but his kit only makes up one of my two core kits. So I looked and looked and found this compliments of BePreparedToSurvive.com

here
I wrote a review of the kit.

I also invite you to read the dozen or so posts on my website about fishing in general. Many people have learned a lot from those posts and they're now first rate fishermen now.

EDIT: Yeah, I know what you are thinking. You could just copy the kit. If that's anyones intention the capsule is made by Nalgene/Fisher Scientific and sold on their site!

I forgot to mention this before. If you get two of these kits, and take out the two knives and one tin foil roll, you can combine the rest of the contents into one of the supplied containers.

#172057 - 04/26/09 06:45 PM Re: Questions From a Non-Fisherman [Re: Kris]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
[quote I forgot to mention this before. If you get two of these kits, and take out the two knives and one tin foil roll, you can combine the rest of the contents into one of the supplied containers. [/quote]

Rather than do that: Buy two kit's and put them in separate locations in your survival kit. Gives you a lot of redundancy against lost.

Loss of 1 x 2 kit's = 50% loss of your fishing capability.
loss of 1 x 1 kit's = 100% loss.

Where possible dispersion of your kit's contents is always a good idea.

#172122 - 04/27/09 12:01 PM Re: Questions From a Non-Fisherman [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
Kris Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: Leigh_Ratcliffe
Originally Posted By: kdunnett
I forgot to mention this before. If you get two of these kits, and take out the two knives and one tin foil roll, you can combine the rest of the contents into one of the supplied containers.

Rather than do that: Buy two kit's and put them in separate locations in your survival kit. Gives you a lot of redundancy against lost.

Loss of 1 x 2 kit's = 50% loss of your fishing capability.
loss of 1 x 1 kit's = 100% loss.

Where possible dispersion of your kit's contents is always a good idea.

very true, but this was for a single psk. Why take up double the space for the same amount of kit?

Edited by Kris (04/27/09 12:06 PM)

#173651 - 05/21/09 02:26 PM Re: Questions From a Non-Fisherman [Re: CANOEDOGS]
raven Offline
Stranger

Loc: FL
I live in florida and there water every where here. my kit is1 fishing line 20-30 test. hooks single and treblee red and small and medum two dry flys a small spinner a few reusable bb wigths and a cork float[ cork is harder to brack than plastic] and yes I'm a bad speller

#174529 - 06/08/09 04:52 AM Re: Questions From a Non-Fisherman [Re: Meadowlark]
duckear Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: Meadowlark

More questions to the experienced anglers: On average, how many hooks/sinkers do you end up losing per day? I'm figuring that it depends on a lot of factors, but I'm now thinking I need to pack at least 12 hooks for, say, a two week scenario.

Also, is a person more likely to get snagged when using a hand reel versus a pole?

Thanks again...

Depends on where you fish.

I caught and released 20+ bass out of my pond a few days ago with one small Rapala lure.
I have been using the same small Gold Ribbed Hare's Ear fly for the last few months and caught hundreds of bream in the same pond.

I am very careful to tie good knots and inspect my line after every fish I catch. If it is nicked, I retie with 'fresh' leader material.

You lose 99% of your gear from:
hanging up in cover
poor knots

#177756 - 07/27/09 01:22 AM Re: Questions From a Non-Fisherman [Re: duckear]
GradyT34 Offline

True newbie questions (all I've ever fished with is a pole and minnows or worms - catch mostly catfish):

In general, if you used an artifical lure when pole fishing, how many fish would you catch as opposed to using live bait? Is the closest answer: 1) you never catch any fish with any artificial lure using only a pole, or 2) with an artificial lure, you'd only catch about half the fish you'd catch with live bait?

If one were limited solely to pole fishing, is there any artificial lure made that works at all? If so, who makes it and what is it called? In other words, in a fairly small survival kit that limits you to pole fishing, is there any artificial lure at all that could be used to catch fish?

#177765 - 07/27/09 03:53 AM Re: Questions From a Non-Fisherman [Re: GradyT34]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Well, they call it fishing, not catching.

The variables of season and species make a short answer of dubious value.

Artificial lures can works extremely well, even outfishing natural bait, - sometimes.

All fisherman tend to develop favorite baits and lures - and few fisherman agree on what those should be.

I think you should ask around, talk to folks, try stuff yourself, and resign yourself to developing several types of natural bait and of artificial lures in which you have developed confidence.

A guided fishing trip or two can advance your learning more quickly than almost anything else.

Good luck - and leave a few for me!

#177785 - 07/27/09 12:47 PM Re: Questions From a Non-Fisherman [Re: dweste]
GradyT34 Offline

To make sure I understand (and at the expense of being a little redundant), is this the situation with using artificial lures while pole fishing: there are some artificial lures that have been known to work well with pole fishing with certain species at certain times of the year, but if you travel a lot throughout the nation, its highly unlikely you'd have in a small survival fishing kit the right artificial lure at the right time if all you know how to do is pole fish and don't have a reel. That is why its best, when a newbies are putting together an emergency survival kit for pole fishing, to plan to only use live bait. If all you can do is pole fish, your wasting space in a survival kit by including any artificial lure.

If a newbie had no earthly idea as to what area of the country he or she might be in when he or she may need to use your emergency fishing kit, but if he or she could have one and only one artificial lure for general pole fishing, what would that artificial lure be?

Fine turning of this newbie's generalizations would be appreciated.

Page 7 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.