Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#177767 - 07/27/09 04:03 AM Re: Pocket Survival Pak PLUS Announced [Re: Roarmeister]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Roarmeister
A few questions Doug:

What is the colour of the PICO light included in the kit or will it be a random selection of colour OR a user choose selection?

It will probably be the Blue body color.

The HD aluminum foil - can you confirm if does or does not have micro holes in it? There was an earlier thread about consumer grade HD foil having pin holes and not being able to hold water.

It is the same foil currently used. It sometimes does develop a few holes from wear in the pouch where it is folded.

Any more details on the MK5 - what is the angle on the edge for example? I use a Sharpmaker which has 20* and 15* angles. You probably mentioned it somewhere but I don't recall - what is the steel type? ATS-34?

Details of the RSK Mk5 can be found at: http://www.dougritter.com/rsk_mk5.htm

The Fresnel magnifier: is it the standard 2x magnification of the quality found in bookstores or the better 3-4x magnification that would work better for fire starting?

Don't recall off top of my head, sorry. No problem starting a fire with it, for sure.
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#177811 - 07/27/09 03:19 PM Re: Pocket Survival Pak PLUS Announced [Re: Roarmeister]
PureSurvival Offline

Loc: UK
As a big fan of the PSP, I am really looking forward to getting my hands on the new PSP+.

Doug, can you please confirm the release date; you said "Unfortunately, they will have to wait until Christmas 2010. AMK is saying January 2010 delivery." I take it that is a typo and we can expect it at the end of 2009 or the beginning of 2010?

#177816 - 07/27/09 03:31 PM Re: Pocket Survival Pak PLUS Announced [Re: PureSurvival]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: PureSurvival

Doug, can you please confirm the release date; you said "Unfortunately, they will have to wait until Christmas 2010. AMK is saying January 2010 delivery." I take it that is a typo and we can expect it at the end of 2009 or the beginning of 2010?

No that's right, as are you. :-) It won't be available for Christmas 2009. So, if you want to give it as a holiday present, you'd need to wait until Holiday 2010 (or I suppose, as someone suggested, make it a late present). AMK says they will be available in January 2010. We'll see. Expected delivery dates tend to be less than accurate in my experience. This one is at least far enough down to road that I am somewhat confident we might come close.
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#177848 - 07/27/09 07:02 PM Re: Pocket Survival Pak PLUS Announced [Re: Doug_Ritter]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Originally Posted By: Doug_Ritter

Any more details on the MK5 - what is the angle on the edge for example? I use a Sharpmaker which has 20° and 15° angles. You probably mentioned it somewhere but I don't recall - what is the steel type? ATS-34?

Details of the RSK Mk5 can be found at: http://www.dougritter.com/rsk_mk5.htm

Thanks for the reply Doug. I brought the other information forward from your other page:
3Cr13 stainless steel (similar to 420-modified) is hardened to 52-55 HRC and 18° nominal high flat grind; pretty high resistance to corrosion; very easy to sharpen, even just using a found stone (a good feature on a survival knife IMHO). The relative softness in a blade this size should not be an issue - that's what the Mk3 in your main pack is there for! smile smile

I'm using a 15° edge on my smaller knifes to make them better slicers while the 20° edge is use on big blades which take more abuse.

#177871 - 07/27/09 11:27 PM Re: Pocket Survival Pak PLUS Announced [Re: Doug_Ritter]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Quote:
if you want to give it as a holiday present

...remember that nothing says "honey, I love you" like the gift of survival.

This message brought to you by the Valentine's Day Consortium.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#177875 - 07/28/09 12:35 AM Re: Pocket Survival Pak PLUS Announced [Re: ironraven]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: ironraven
Quote:

I dunno - in my experience, there tends to be something lost in translation. Somehow the brain can interpret it as "it's not shiny and pricey and gaudy and (fill in your own adjective) so therefore you're not worth that to me."

though, c'mon, staying alive should be worth something!

#177999 - 07/29/09 03:20 AM Re: Pocket Survival Pak PLUS Announced [Re: Doug_Ritter]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
That's too bad!

#178090 - 07/29/09 09:52 PM Re: Pocket Survival Pak PLUS Announced [Re: MDinana]
GoatRider Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Maple Grove, MN
Originally Posted By: MDinana
Originally Posted By: ironraven
Quote:

I dunno - in my experience, there tends to be something lost in translation. Somehow the brain can interpret it as "it's not shiny and pricey and gaudy and (fill in your own adjective) so therefore you're not worth that to me."

though, c'mon, staying alive should be worth something!

Well I'm lucky then. My wife loved her pink Mini-RSK I got her for valentine's day a couple years ago.

#178326 - 08/01/09 01:52 AM Re: Pocket Survival Pak PLUS Announced [Re: GoatRider]
urbansurvivalist Offline

Loc: Asheville, NC
This seems like a great and needed upgrade to the PSP, bu I'm a little dissapointed at the choice of flashlight(www.dougritter.com/PICOlite.htm). Alkaline batteries, and a light with such short run times, seem like a poor choice for a survival light. I think it would be a very good idea for 1 or 2 extra sets of batteries to be included standard in the PSP+, given the very short battery life, especially in cold weather.

I know the fatal flaw of the Photon lights is the lack of a lockout funtion, and its a shame that Doug couldn't work out special version with this feature. But even with that drawback, I'd rather have a photon with a couple extra CR2016s. They take up almost no space or weight, and the extra batteries greatly mitigate the problem of accidental activation.

Otherwise I'm glad to see these 4 key items added to the PSP+, they were the first things I added to my PSP. I went with a K.I.S.S. folder for the knife, which is great but by far the heaviest item in the kit.

Edited by urbansurvivalist (08/01/09 01:54 AM)

#178343 - 08/01/09 09:44 AM Re: Pocket Survival Pak PLUS Announced [Re: urbansurvivalist]
TheSock Offline
Addict

Loc: London England
I'm a little confused as to these additons too. A knife with a metal handle? How do we use that in cold weather? And why not stick to the steel we are told is so great on the other RSKs?
A torch with no variable light, so you have to use full beam just to find something in the tent and use up the already limited battery life.
Of the three lights Doug has designed (all of which take a different battery) which am I supposed to buy?
I make no claims to have any real knowledge of survival issues and Doug is an expert so fully expect to get shot down.
The Sock

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 117 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.