Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 8 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Topic Options
#182350 - 09/16/09 12:10 PM Re: CARRY A KNIFE. ALWAYS. EVERYWHERE. [Re: Kukulkan]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Colorado
I despair for the future of my country when a major aerospace firm whose employees have passed background checks for security clearances up to and including polygraphs, and who are largely military veterans, has a "no knives or multi-tools anywhere at any time" policy.

Next office move I'll call Security to come open the taped boxes for me. My fingernails aren't sharp enough for the job and teeth won't reach. I wonder what HR uses to open their packages?

Hey Al Queda- come and get us! We promise to surrender quickly! Just don't hurt us, ok? Would you like a teddy bear?

The Policy reminder-
" <subdiv> employees and affiliates (non-company employees) are reminded that they must know and adhere to all Corporate and <subdiv> security policies. Of particular note is Corporate Policy Statement xyzzy (Workplace Security) which outlines requirements for employee conduct and behavior, and prohibits weapons on <company> Property.

The inclusion of knives in <subdiv> policy xyzzy, (Prohibited Items), has recently raised several employee questions. To clarify, this prohibition applies to all knives, including pocket knives and multi-use tools that include a knife blade. Knives fall into the ‘weapons’ category, and as such, are not authorized on <company> property. The only exceptions granted are for employees and affiliates who require knives to perform work assigned to them by <company>. Violations of this policy may include disciplinary action, up to and including termination of employment.

Exceptions to xyzzy for knives required for the performance of <company>-sponsored work must be requested in writing to your Facility Security Officer, <name withheld>. "

#182351 - 09/16/09 12:41 PM Re: CARRY A KNIFE. ALWAYS. EVERYWHERE. [Re: unimogbert]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I would be looking for employment elsewhere.

#182352 - 09/16/09 01:52 PM Re: CARRY A KNIFE. ALWAYS. EVERYWHERE. [Re: Russ]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: Russ
I would be looking for employment elsewhere.

I expect that this is Standard Policy #xy from the HR Professionals List of Standards for All Companies Everywhere. Might even be an ISO standard or something. No sense changing employers only to find the same silliness at the next place.

There's a reason why I refer to them as the "Anti-Personnel Dept."

#182353 - 09/16/09 02:02 PM Re: CARRY A KNIFE. ALWAYS. EVERYWHERE. [Re: unimogbert]
barbakane Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Florida
If the security office needs written requests for permission to carry, perhaps you could have everyone wanting to carry write all at once.
If security is besieged by 50-100 (or more) requests all at the same time, they may reconsider. However, there is usually a clause in the employee conduct info, that states you can't petition other employees to join/participate in outside activity. Unfortunately, they may view this as such.

#182389 - 09/16/09 09:09 PM Re: CARRY A KNIFE. ALWAYS. EVERYWHERE. [Re: barbakane]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
What a bunch of bozos! I agree, people who go play all the reindeer games of getting and maintaining security clearances and access privileges are the least of the companies worries. They are at more risk from corporate espionage. We have clearances walk a pretty circumspect life so that we can maintain those clearances. I repeat, what a bunch of bozos!

#182392 - 09/16/09 11:15 PM Re: CARRY A KNIFE. ALWAYS. EVERYWHERE. [Re: MoBOB]
DrmstrSpoodle Offline

Just watched the video. I think I'm gonna have nightmares for awhile.

#182393 - 09/16/09 11:39 PM Re: CARRY A KNIFE. ALWAYS. EVERYWHERE. [Re: DrmstrSpoodle]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
Yes, to nightmares.
I read the follow up story ThSeng posted. The kid lost his ears and had other serious burns too. He was just released today on the 16 Sept.
That is a long time in hospital.

Page 8 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (NAro, Ren), 444 Guests and 27 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.