Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#177341 - 07/23/09 12:54 AM Re: Get to know the edible landscape plants around you [Re: Blast]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
Originally Posted By: Blast
Quote:
"what landscaping plants do we need to stay away from?"

Sago palms
Chinaberry tree
Pokeweed more than 6" tall
Virgina Creeper
Chinese Privet
Trumpet vine
Poinsettia
Butterfly weed (aka Mexican milkweed)
Mushrooms

-Blast

MUSHROOMS?!?!?! Come awn, live a little wink haha

#177345 - 07/23/09 01:46 AM Re: Get to know the edible landscape plants around you [Re: Susan]
celler Offline
Addict

Loc: Jupiter, FL
Originally Posted By: Susan
If you work in a high-rise with vending machines, be sure to keep a ResQMe in your desk drawer.

ResQMe won't do jack against high impact polycarbonate. Its made for automotive safety glass which is designed to break into tiny pieces upon moderate impact. Think kinetic energy, think fire extinguisher.

Craig.

#177347 - 07/23/09 01:57 AM Re: Get to know the edible landscape plants around you [Re: Todd W]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Quote:
The recipes are endless, but bring a good supply of seasoning, they're pretty bland.

A cattails, the library paste of the plant kingdom. frown
-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#177355 - 07/23/09 04:10 AM Re: Get to know the edible landscape plants around you [Re: Denis]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Originally Posted By: Denis
Todd,

I guess a problem with discussing this is actually trying to picture a situation we'd find ourselves in where, in an urban environment, we'd actually have to forage for food to survive off of.

?

A very, very bad situation if all you have is foraging for plants. Maybe the kind we try to prepare for here?

And, of course, in almost any lesser emergency situation wouldn't it be nice to stretch your supplies and add something nutritious and tasty?

#177360 - 07/23/09 04:34 AM Re: Get to know the edible landscape plants around you [Re: dweste]
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB
Originally Posted By: dweste
A very, very bad situation if all you have is foraging for plants. Maybe the kind we try to prepare for here?

I guess the question is are we looking at situations beyond those we should reasonably prepare for? Short of some sort of TEOTWAWKI scenario, I'm having a hard time thinking of a situation where we'd have to resort to foraging for food in the city. Unless of course that is what we're talking about and I just didn't get it?

Don't get me wrong, the knowledge doesn't hurt, but I just can't see how it applies to urban preparedness.

#177361 - 07/23/09 04:39 AM Re: Get to know the edible landscape plants around you [Re: Denis]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

I had to scare the deer off, it was getting to know my edible landscape too well this morning and then again it came back tonight!

#177384 - 07/23/09 10:52 AM Re: Get to know the edible landscape plants around you [Re: dweste]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
Originally Posted By: dweste
Originally Posted By: Denis
Todd,

I guess a problem with discussing this is actually trying to picture a situation we'd find ourselves in where, in an urban environment, we'd actually have to forage for food to survive off of.

?

And, of course, in almost any lesser emergency situation wouldn't it be nice to stretch your supplies and add something nutritious and tasty?

dweste is on.

One of the bigger things to consider is the economic situation. While it's bad enugh now here in the U.S., there are things that could lead it to taking a turn for the worse. IF we have a situation involving a devaluation of the dollar, or your local currency, food shortages are likely. Iceland had a currency collapse and shortages the last year. See: http://www.naturalnews.com/News_000360_Iceland_banking_crisis_food_supply.html

I think one of the scenarios that could exist is a series of compounded problems. If economic crisis precedes natural or other disasters, then relief provided to victims could be insufficient. If pandemic precedes natural disaster, then the same could occur. Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

Also, crisis need not be everyone's. If you are having your own economic crisis, then foraging could stretch your supplies and savings.

Edited by Dan_McI (07/23/09 10:54 AM)

#177484 - 07/24/09 11:45 AM Re: Get to know the edible landscape plants around you [Re: Dan_McI]
LoneWolf Offline

Hoooo Boy ..... We could really open a can of worms here. I really hope that I'm not stepping on any toes in that I'm still quite new in here.

To quote from Mr. Ritter on the home page

"The focus of Equipped To Survive™ is survival preparedness, preparing to get through a short-term emergency to return to civilization, either via rescue or by normalization of the situation as the emergency conditions cease. Survivalists and survivalism anticipate that the emergency or emergency conditions are permanent, that there will be no civilization as we know it to return to and no help or rescue--you're on your own forevermore, or at least for an extended period. The recent fiasco regarding Y2K is a classic example of this sort of thinking on a large scale."

I honestly can't think of a situation where in an urban environment I would need to resort to grazing on dandelions and day lilies. It's an interesting mental exercise, and I think people enjoy learning these kinds of things, but it may fall outside the scope of the forum.

Having said that, and going back a re-reading some of the other postings before I hit submit .... I would also have to question the legality of foraging in an urban environment. That was brought up from the perpective of helping oneself to someone elses garden. If it's part of your own property, that's one thing. Someone elses ... that's quite another.

Again, please let me say that if I am stepping on toes, PLEASE forgive me. That is in no way shape or form my intent.

LW

#177491 - 07/24/09 01:28 PM Re: Get to know the edible landscape plants around you [Re: LoneWolf]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Originally Posted By: LoneWolf
Hoooo Boy ..... We could really open a can of worms here. I really hope that I'm not stepping on any toes in that I'm still quite new in here.

To quote from Mr. Ritter on the home page

"The focus of Equipped To Survive™ is survival preparedness, preparing to get through a short-term emergency to return to civilization, either via rescue or by normalization of the situation as the emergency conditions cease. Survivalists and survivalism anticipate that the emergency or emergency conditions are permanent, that there will be no civilization as we know it to return to and no help or rescue--you're on your own forevermore, or at least for an extended period. The recent fiasco regarding Y2K is a classic example of this sort of thinking on a large scale."

I honestly can't think of a situation where in an urban environment I would need to resort to grazing on dandelions and day lilies. It's an interesting mental exercise, and I think people enjoy learning these kinds of things, but it may fall outside the scope of the forum.

Having said that, and going back a re-reading some of the other postings before I hit submit .... I would also have to question the legality of foraging in an urban environment. That was brought up from the perpective of helping oneself to someone elses garden. If it's part of your own property, that's one thing. Someone elses ... that's quite another.

Again, please let me say that if I am stepping on toes, PLEASE forgive me. That is in no way shape or form my intent.

LW

These are valid concerns, especially about foraging on land that isn't yours. I've been veiwing the discussions in this thread mainly from the point of view of a personal economic disaster. Dan said it best with:
Quote:
Also, crisis need not be everyone's. If you are having your own economic crisis, then foraging could stretch your supplies and savings.

From that angle I think this is a perfectly good/safe discussion as long as people do not talk about illegally harvesting.

My suggestion is to wander one's area and see what is out there. Then find out to whom it belongs. Once you know that try to become friends with the person so that if the need arises you have a good shot at being allowed to "eat the weeds". Most apartment complexes have assorted landscaping plants. Talk to the manager about harvesting whatever nuts or berries that might be present. You might even be able to influence what's planted there if you are really smooth.

Public parks/nature preserves are a gray area. A number of them in my area encourage people to pick the dewberries and wild grapes though sometimes it can depend on who is in charge that day. Ask for permission and abide by their response.

Hope this clarifies stuff a little.
-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#177506 - 07/24/09 03:03 PM Re: Get to know the edible landscape plants around you [Re: Blast]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

I think foraging dumpsters behind supermarkets, or in front depending where they put their expired goods would yield a MUCH higher amount of calories not to mention a greater assortment of goodies!

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 387 Guests and 37 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.