Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#177264 - 07/22/09 04:04 PM Re: In Car Fire Extinguishers [Re: celler]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
Originally Posted By: celler
I keep halon (or whatever the replacement is to halon) extinguishers in each car within reach of driver belted in the seat. I've seen too many incidents working at race tracks over the years to do otherwise. I like the halon as it avoids the caustic powder mess if you are only dealing with a small fire.

Whatever you do, if you carry an extinguisher in a car, use a mounting bracket. One designed for mobile applications, not a cheap plastic wall hanger. A fire extinguisher becomes a lethal missile in a collision.

Craig.

Good advice about holding something in place.

A friend of a friend died after getting in an accident and a hammer that was floating around smashed their skull. They survived the auto 'accident' but the hammer missile finished them frown

#177401 - 07/23/09 02:24 PM Re: In Car Fire Extinguishers [Re: Todd W]
ki4buc Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Augusta, GA
Some other countries ( Brazil, for example ) require fire extinguishers in the vehicle. They are normally mounted in front of the front passenger seat on the floor. I was looking for one for my car, and after doing an internet search, found out you could get OEM mounting brackets for common sizes, but they are not readily available in the U.S.

I do carry a fire extinguisher, unfortunately, it's not mounted. frown (Yes, the top is protected!). I also carry a set of gloves, per the training I've had before. I will add one of those rescue knives.

#177402 - 07/23/09 02:38 PM Re: In Car Fire Extinguishers [Re: ki4buc]
celler Offline
Addict

Loc: Jupiter, FL
In front of the driver's seat is where you want to mount it. You want to be able to reach it while belted into the driver's seat. Most of the German manufacturers (BMW, Mercedes, Audi) make brackets for their cars to satisfy requirements of various countries. The key is to find a source for these non-North American parts.

#177418 - 07/23/09 04:51 PM Re: In Car Fire Extinguishers [Re: celler]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
First link I tried found what looks like a good steel fire extinguisher mounting bracket - http://www.thefirestore.com/store/product.cfm/pid_4709_amerex_vehicle_marine_aviation_bracket/. I think I should be able to find one like it at a local storefront. At least it doesn't look like we'll have to special order from the EU or from the local BMW / Mercedes car parts pirates.

#177421 - 07/23/09 05:04 PM Re: In Car Fire Extinguishers [Re: Lono]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
Originally Posted By: Lono
First link I tried found what looks like a good steel fire extinguisher mounting bracket - http://www.thefirestore.com/store/product.cfm/pid_4709_amerex_vehicle_marine_aviation_bracket/. I think I should be able to find one like it at a local storefront. At least it doesn't look like we'll have to special order from the EU or from the local BMW / Mercedes car parts pirates.

Looks like the brackets that came on my larger ext. from Costco.

#177422 - 07/23/09 05:09 PM Re: In Car Fire Extinguishers [Re: Lono]
celler Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: Lono

I don't know about Mercedes, but the BMW bracket fits perfectly into predrilled locations in the front seat. Installation is super easy and has a "factory" look. BMW also has its own fire extinguisher, but that's a story for another day. Could be worth paying a little more for an easy, clean installation. YMMV.

Craig.

#177423 - 07/23/09 05:13 PM Re: In Car Fire Extinguishers [Re: celler]
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB
In another thread, First Alert's Tundra fire extinguishing spray was mentioned. Any thoughts on if this would be a good alternative for cars?

From a size perspective, it seems like it could be easily stored in a glove box or console, eliminating the whole mounting issue.

#177425 - 07/23/09 05:50 PM Re: In Car Fire Extinguishers [Re: Denis]
celler Offline
Addict

My reservations on this type of extinguisher is loss of pressure over time because of a cheap, plastic, spray can-type valve. This is particularly an issue in a car subject to a wide range of temperatures. As it does not have a pressure gauge, you won't know anything is wrong until you go to use it.

Craig.

#177472 - 07/24/09 08:44 AM Re: In Car Fire Extinguishers [Re: celler]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
This topic is more "General" than just Urban - going to do my first "Management" attempt, and move it upstairs to the general survival forum

Edited by KG2V_was_kc2ixe (07/24/09 02:01 PM)
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#177485 - 07/24/09 11:53 AM Re: In Car Fire Extinguishers [Re: Todd W]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
Originally Posted By: Todd W
Originally Posted By: Tarzan
In a boat, your worst enemy is fire. Jumping into the water is not always an advisable alternative. Fighting the fire, even if you are left with a burnt out floating hulk, can be preferable to hopping in the drink. Hypothermia, drowning and marine life can all cause problems.
In a car, I would think it is a good idea, but more so for the other guy. If I have evacuated my vehicle and its occupants are safe, I say let it burn. That's why I pay insurance. I would rather wait for the settlement check at home than in the burn ward undergoing skin grafts.

That's very true about boats I hadn't thought of that side of things (critters in there).

-Todd

I see nothing wrong with fighting a car fire. Trying to minimize damage should not be a problem, but the risks should be considered. If fighting the fire presents to hihg a risk of injury, then let it burn.

The risks on the water are much higher. You need not be far away from land for the risks to be such that you have few choices other than to fight the fire. You may have a life raft, but getting into it you risk vomiting, and therefore dehydration, exposure and hypothermia, because most rafts leak, and that's if the raft works WELL. If the raft fails, the risks are higher. A former engineer of mine went into the water for minutes, less than 1/4 mile from land. His crewmates saw him and tried immediately to get him out, but he did not come out alive.

Also, never forget, fighting a fire in on a boat or ship with water presents another risk: you could sink if you pour too much water on the fire.

Edited by Dan_McI (07/24/09 11:53 AM)

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 433 Guests and 56 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.