Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 7 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#177880 - 07/28/09 12:45 AM Re: CARRY A KNIFE. ALWAYS. EVERYWHERE. [Re: KG2V]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: KG2V_was_kc2ixe
Originally Posted By: Eugene
Somewhat related, where can I find an RV size extinguisher other than paying the over high prices at an rv store?

Define "RV Sized"

I know the large car sized unit I carry is about 2x the size of most car units (2x as tall) and I got it at either the auto parts

I assumed there is/was a standard rv size since there is small plastic recessed mount in mine.

#178113 - 07/30/09 12:00 AM Re: CARRY A KNIFE. ALWAYS. EVERYWHERE. [Re: Eugene]
porkchop Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Florence SC
I noticed in several posts that a few people have things in their glove boxes and consoles. This is great for helping other people in their time of crisis.
However, if YOU are the one in crisis you may not be able to reach your tools.

About 10 years ago, I was involved in an accident involving the 18 wheeler I was driving. The truck rolled onto its side. During the roll my seat belt broke and I ended up with my back pressed against the passenger side door staring out the driver's side window at the bright blue South Carolina sky. Things could have been much worse I came out with a scratch or two and a headache.
I learned several very important lessons that day including that things don't always stay put in a crash. This could include you. Unless it is well secured things will fly around. Kinetic energy is wonderful. If you need your cell phone don't expect it to be where you can reach it after a crash. Mine ended up flying out the window and landing in the middle of the road.

On a side note, it is required by law that all Commercial Motor Vehicles must contain a working fire extinguisher at all times.

#178116 - 07/30/09 12:26 AM Re: CARRY A KNIFE. ALWAYS. EVERYWHERE. [Re: porkchop]
2005RedTJ Offline
Addict

Loc: Birmingham, Alabama
My buddy has a USMC issue Kabar strapped to his rollcage. I asked him about it one day and he told me about getting trapped by the seatbelt in a rollover one time and the rig caught on fire. He barely managed to get out and said it'll never happen that way again.

I keep a razor-sharp S&W pocket knife clipped to my front left pocket 24/7. I need to try it out on an old seatbelt one day, but I'm sure it'll do nicely.

#178144 - 07/30/09 08:37 AM Re: CARRY A KNIFE. ALWAYS. EVERYWHERE. [Re: 2005RedTJ]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
Oh, one question - is it all right if I don't CARRY the knife, but leave it clipped to my pants when I'm in the shower, or in bed? wink

Edited by KG2V_was_kc2ixe (07/30/09 08:38 AM)
Edit Reason: correct typo
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#178146 - 07/30/09 11:34 AM Re: CARRY A KNIFE. ALWAYS. EVERYWHERE. [Re: KG2V]
Grouch Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ohio
Oh, one question - is it all right if I don't CARRY the knife, but leave it clipped to my pants when I'm in the shower, or in bed? wink

Only if you wear your foil hat. wink

#178154 - 07/30/09 01:25 PM Re: CARRY A KNIFE. ALWAYS. EVERYWHERE. [Re: Grouch]
Still_Alive Offline
Finally, I am a

Loc: Utah
I have mine in my bag on the nightstand by my bed all night. I'm tempted to start taking it in the bathroom when I shower...
smile

#178156 - 07/30/09 01:33 PM Re: CARRY A KNIFE. ALWAYS. EVERYWHERE. [Re: KG2V]
UncleGoo Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: CT
Oh, one question - is it all right if I don't CARRY the knife, but leave it clipped to my pants when I'm ... in bed? wink

You might want to reconsider this, if you wake up in the "coyote in a leghold trap" scenario. laugh

#178162 - 07/30/09 02:26 PM Re: CARRY A KNIFE. ALWAYS. EVERYWHERE. [Re: MartinFocazio]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
Originally Posted By: martinfocazio
Originally Posted By: Lono
Almost forgot - for cutting seatbelts I can give a big thumbs up to the Benchmade rescue hook, http://www.thefirestore.com/store/category.cfm/cid_1347_seat_belt_cutters/. That's in my glove compartment. I've tried it in a training rescue and it was like slicing through butter. The training officer liked it too, almost walked away with it...

that's in my car. A nice tool. I've used it "in real life". Works as advertised. I don't keep in in the glove box I keep it in the door compartment, it's easier to get to. All my "immediate" stuff except the fire extinguiser is in the driver's side door compartment.

Good point, thanks. I cleaned some crap out of the driver's side door compartment and now have the rescue hook there for easier access. Ya never know.

#178181 - 07/30/09 04:28 PM Re: CARRY A KNIFE. ALWAYS. EVERYWHERE. [Re: UncleGoo]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
Originally Posted By: UncleGoo
Oh, one question - is it all right if I don't CARRY the knife, but leave it clipped to my pants when I'm ... in bed? wink

You might want to reconsider this, if you wake up in the "coyote in a leghold trap" scenario. laugh

I can reach the pants when I'm in bed, so...

Pretty much ditto in the shower - the pants are in the room
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#182349 - 09/16/09 10:52 AM Re: CARRY A KNIFE. ALWAYS. EVERYWHERE. (followup) [Re: KG2V]
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NW NJ
FWIW, this recent news story appears to be about the aftermath of the incident in the video:

http://www.abcnews.go.com/GMA/community-helps-year-dramatic-rescue/story?id=8586599

"Never trust and engineer who doesn't carry a pocketknife."

Page 7 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.