The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#177356 - 07/23/09 04:13 AM Re: Best Swiss Army Knife for... [Re: Todd W]
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB
Regarding the saw, I don't know if I'd call it tiny exactly (the specs I linked to say it's 4.2 inches). I do think they've done a great job on the tooth design as it goes through wood quickly and without too much effort.

I can say I've definitely cut through branches that I wouldn't have been able to break easily by hand; this is especially true if you ever need to work with green wood.

#177358 - 07/23/09 04:31 AM Re: Best Swiss Army Knife for... [Re: Denis]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
I've found the saw comes in most handy for building things/bushcraft. Say, shelters, deadfall traps, spears/bows, ect.

However, I actually prefer a good file, like the one on Leatherman wave/charge models. It will still cut and notch wood (albeit slower than the dedicated saw), however it also works to trim, sharpen, and cut metal and other hard materials that the saw doesn't work on. Therefore, in my opinion, it's the more useful of the two, as it can be used in more circumstances.

Unfortunately, Victorinox's metal file isn't as good as Leatherman's, nor do they offer it on any of the One-Handed opening models, so I'm stuck with the saw. Not my ideal configuration, but I'm still fine with it.

#177365 - 07/23/09 04:43 AM Re: Best Swiss Army Knife for... [Re: Paul810]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
That is true, they cut green wood GREAT... and the cut is nice, not a splinter with a rip up 1ft from busting it by hand.

When I was a kid I used the crap out of my SAK saw, and it was barely 3" if that... 4.2" will be pretty darn nice. We used to make shelters, dam up streams and small rivers, make things to trap fish, etc.. it really was used A LOT. Thus why I want one on a wilderness SAK. (Combined with a fixed blade for `hacking` the saw could prove useful for the finer side.)

#177380 - 07/23/09 10:27 AM Re: Best Swiss Army Knife for... [Re: Todd W]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
SAK Rescue is exactly that. A rescue tool. It's not suitable for general woodcraft.

Regulars will probably have noted that I generally recommend a SAK Trekker or a Farmer if you are restricted to a non-locking blade.

I use both. I also own a RSK mk1. For a survival situation the Trekker is superior to the Mk1.

Sorry, Doug. smile

The only thing that you cannot do well with it is batoning wood.

But that's what a Frost's Mora is for.

#177434 - 07/23/09 08:50 PM Re: Best Swiss Army Knife for... [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
Schwert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, Washington
Oh yeah I find the SAK saw to be hugely useful. Not for firebuilding or that sort of crude work though where just snapping the wood is the method.

I regularily cut wood for craft projects with it (like for spoons). Nothing worse than trying to carve something out of a splintered hulk of wood that the SAK saw would have gathered in moments cleanly.

I prefer a garden saw with larger blade for most gathering work but have used my SAK untold numbers of times when I did not have a larger garden saw.

I have never encountered a better tiny saw.

#177437 - 07/23/09 09:21 PM Re: Best Swiss Army Knife for... [Re: Schwert]
EdD270 Offline
Journeyman

Loc: White Mountains of Arizona
I use the SAK saw for precision cutting and shaping of wood, such as making deadfalls and snares and putting together shelters and camp furniture.
I like it and use it a lot, even if it takes a while to cut through some bigger limbs. I sometimes carry a bigger folding saw, Gerber or similar, but I always have the SAK with me.

#177441 - 07/23/09 09:54 PM Re: Best Swiss Army Knife for... [Re: EdD270]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Well, Well, Well.... I once built an entire family sized cabin with only my SAK!

Take that! wink !!

#177444 - 07/23/09 10:18 PM Re: Best Swiss Army Knife for... [Re: Todd W]
EdD270 Offline
Journeyman

Loc: White Mountains of Arizona
Originally Posted By: Todd W
Well, Well, Well.... I once built an entire family sized cabin with only my SAK!

Take that! wink !!

Spoken like a true outdoorsman.

#177445 - 07/23/09 10:54 PM Re: Best Swiss Army Knife for... [Re: EdD270]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

One handed trekker came... saddened that the blade is only sharpened on one side (Forget the technical name)...

#177454 - 07/24/09 02:18 AM Re: Best Swiss Army Knife for... [Re: Todd W]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
Originally Posted By: Todd W
One handed trekker came... saddened that the blade is only sharpened on one side (Forget the technical name)...

That's not too hard to take care of. wink

Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.