Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#177405 - 07/23/09 03:21 PM Re: Survival Reality TV -- Discovery Channel July [Re: NeighborBill]
ki4buc Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Augusta, GA
It seems to have some promise, but as with any television program, it is scripted (or at least guided) which limits things some times.

They are stuck in a HUGE warehouse that seems to be ripe with everything they need. But, you need that in a show like this. It'll help people open their mind.

The one thing that made me cringe: The younger woman (23 y/o Mechanical Engineer ) started telling the new people exactly how much food and water they had, where they got it, and where it's stored. Call me paranoid, but I don't think I'd do that.

#177430 - 07/23/09 07:26 PM Re: Survival Reality TV -- Discovery Channel July [Re: ki4buc]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
At some point in the recent past I set The Colony to record on DVR. I haven't seen it yet but will try this weekend.

#177545 - 07/24/09 07:52 PM Re: Survival Reality TV -- Discovery Channel July [Re: comms]
ki4buc Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Augusta, GA
It is on Tuesdays, 10pm, Discovery Channel

#177771 - 07/27/09 04:13 AM Re: Survival Reality TV -- Discovery Channel July [Re: ki4buc]
comms Offline
Veteran

I finally saw it. Meh. Its okay. Hoping it gets better. I got the strong sense that some of this stuff was moved along by technical advisers.

#178135 - 07/30/09 03:36 AM Re: Survival Reality TV -- Discovery Channel July [Re: comms]
red Offline

I call B.S.

Of course the producers have to keep the actors (I call them actors after seeing some shows detailing the fakery done in reality shows)"safe".

I watched the clips on the internet and noticed a severe shortage of edged weapons when they trooped out to forage. They can manufacture a fairly complicated generator but they can't master sharpening some metal shanks? Riiiight.

The implausiblity of it all...not one marauder has a firearm. Not one colonist has a firearm. Convenient...for the producers.

I also liked how the contractor did a dumb tactical move...run (ahead of your group) toward your opponent, then when the opponent retreats, give chase. Ever hear of an ambush, dude? I wonder if modern man has learned anything since Hastings, 1066?

I was also intrigued by the vet who said he wouldn't plan anything until they went outside and had a look around. Huh? Recon in daylight without a plan? Okaaaaay. Doesn't make sense to me. And his brilliant non-planning really paid off when they were trying to get the animals back into the warehouse. It looked like they were herding cats.

Geez, if things were as bad as they make it sound (TEOTWAWKI), you'd need a plan from the first step out that building.

Once again, I call B.S., like any "reality" show.

Except Les'. Or maybe the SAS one, that seemed pretty good.

#178175 - 07/30/09 04:00 PM Re: Survival Reality TV -- Discovery Channel July [Re: red]
oldsoldier Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
I watched it this week. Didnt like it at all. To me, it simply seems WAY too scripted. And, the fact that they have several advisors working with them, off camera...well, kinda defeats the purpose. And, when the "marauders" came in...it was like a post-apocalyptic B movie. Hoenstly, didnt care for it at all. The personalities are horrible, there are like 4 leaders, and everyone else is a follower...if I were in that group, I'd join up with the marauders. At least they have transportation smile.

#178188 - 07/30/09 06:20 PM Re: Survival Reality TV -- Discovery Channel July [Re: oldsoldier]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Discovery is just playing on everyone's false fear of motorcyclist with their marauders.

If you saw me on my bike, you would run the kids inside and lock the doors. If you came to see me at my former fixed location office, you would think I was the CEO of a major wireless company. I think there are a few grains of good stuff, but a little salt may be needed.

RIP OBG

#178192 - 07/30/09 07:25 PM Re: Survival Reality TV -- Discovery Channel July [Re: Desperado]
oldsoldier Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
I agree-they are playing on typecasting people. Personally, I have a LOT of friends who are bikers, and are trying to convert me. These are some of the most charitable, honest people I know. But, before this goes all political, I just have to say that the one guy threatening the bikers on that show was amusing, to say the least. A few too many movies that boy has seen...lol

#178217 - 07/30/09 10:27 PM Re: Survival Reality TV -- Discovery Channel July [Re: oldsoldier]
comms Offline
Veteran

Well lets not blame the bikers for bringing the show down. The bikers are constructs of hyper reality. In movies from Mad Max to Stone Cold to books like Patriots and Lights Out, to the more recent FX show Son's of Anarchy, not to mention the already legendary real exploits of Hells Angels, Outlaws and Bandidos outlaw gangs, society has a misconception of bikers.

Watching epi#2, I am still not fully set on the show, I will probably watch the rest of it. If nothing else makes me think about things.

#178219 - 07/30/09 11:02 PM Re: Survival Reality TV -- Discovery Channel July [Re: ]
comms Offline
Veteran

LOL. I thought that was funny as well about who is there. What no "harried stay at home mom", no "executive assistants" (it is LA right?)

it's all arm-chair-quarterbacking which is why I am watching. Half is sorting what I would do, how I would act and half is figuring out what is plausible and what is staged.

I will say that fricken wood combustive system was slick.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 286 Guests and 34 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.