Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6
Topic Options
#177084 - 07/21/09 02:24 PM Re: Urban EDC [Re: airballrad]
Tyber Offline
Sheriff
Enthusiast

Loc: ST. Paul MN
I have carried two cellphones from two difrent providers that I paid for on my own. Meaning I was paying a LOT. I kept two for several reasons.

First: when one didn't work the other almost always had a signal
Second: one was my GPS phone, and the second I could talk on using my head set.
Thrirdly: for a while my cellphones were the victums of some very unfortunate accidents! so haveing a spare saved my but several times.

Eric

#177205 - 07/22/09 11:25 AM Re: Urban EDC [Re: JohnE]
adam2 Offline
Addict

Loc: Somerset UK
Originally Posted By: JohnE
I'm curious, do you carry 2 cell phones for a specific reason or just to be prepared?

If it's to be better prepared, I'd also be curious as the rationale behind that decision.

Thanks.

I consider that having cellphones on different networks is prudent in case of failure or congestion of the network.
After the terrorist attacks on the London underground, one cellphone network was unavailable, but the other worked fine.

In an urban area, the cellphone masts are closely spaced, and reliant on the utility power to the building on which they are mounted.
Localised blackouts can result in lack of a signal, a phone on a diferent net work may use a mast on a different building that still has power.

It also protects against loss, theft or breakage of one phone.
I have two cellphones of my own, and a company one. I would not normally use the company phone for my own calls, but would in an emergency.

One network at present is giving no coverage at my home address, presumably due the great power failure at present.
Its been off for a couple of days now.

#177215 - 07/22/09 12:20 PM Re: Urban EDC [Re: adam2]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
I've probably mentioned this before, but my urban EDC changes nearly hourly.

Not at work: wallet, cell, flashlight and knife (usually). About 50% of the time my LM Micra. My wallet has a pen and a spare $20 in it.

At work, I really don't have much outside my white coat (in a hospital). I mean, my wallet and shorts are in my locker, so I suppose they're in the building. I have a penlight. sometimes a couple bucks for the snack machine or cafeteria. But then, if I'm at work, I expect to be stuck there for a while - and there's supplies enough to take care of patients. I could probably sneak away some leftovers from the little old ladies that wouldn't finish their trays, or an Ensure, or something. If I'm not at work, I'm expecting to be called in.

either way, my hospital is only about 5 miles from my house, across a bridge. If that bridge goes down, it's probably 10+ miles around the water. Or I suppose I could borrow my friends rowboat for the 1/2 mile undertaking. And my car is pretty well stocked.

#177670 - 07/25/09 11:37 PM Re: Urban EDC [Re: big_al]
acropolis5 Offline
Enthusiast

OK, here's a mini-review. Following Big Al's advice, I bought several of the 5 hole pentagon hydrant wrenches he hot-linked. They are the bomb! A flat, (painted?) iron wrench, about 14.25in. long, weighing ~2 lb.s. Tried it on a local hydrant for fit only and it fit all the wrench points. One end is a fire hose coupling wrench and smll hammer head. That end also forms a grip or handle. I imagine that you might have to hammer it a little to get a balky valve open, but it appears up to the task. With this and a 4-way silcock wrench, I believe that you can keep yourself supplied with water in any urban or suburban bug-out. Its too heavy for EDC, but in a car/office/home kit, its a valueable addition. It even might have some self-defense potential. All in all, methinks its about to become a new standard tool in urban kit.

#177777 - 07/27/09 09:01 AM Re: Urban EDC [Re: acropolis5]
adam2 Offline
Addict

Loc: Somerset UK
This thread is rather timely for me, since we have just had on of the worst* power failures ever in England.
This did not directly affect me, since firstly the power was only off short term where I live, and secondly I generate my own power from wind and solar.

Tens of thousands lacked power for many days.

I visited friends in the affected area and took them supplies, as they were very poorly prepared.

My observations were
1)FOOD One large supermarket remained open by generator power, many small shops opened during daylight only.
Fast food shops mostly shut, but a few stayed open and were extremely busy.
Perishables in short supply due to lack of refrigeration, plenty of non-perishables, certainly no general food shortage or anyone going hungry, even the ill prepared.
Beer and soft drinks readily available though not cold.
Most pubs shut, but some open.

2) WATER, public water supply working fine, as normal. Only those in tall buildings lacked water due to local electric pumps.

3) FUEL, no retail petrol or diesel in the affected area as filling stations lacked power to pump fuel. Supplies short immediatly outside affected area due to increased demand. 10/15 miles away supplies normal.
Bulk supplies by road tanker readily available.
LPG cylinders unavailable, these not much used in the UK so stocks probably limited anyway.
Kerosene and disposable lpg bottles unavailable.

4) COMMUNICATIONS local radio station of air, national broadcasts unaffected.
TV broadcasts as normal, but no cable TV.
No broadband internet in most areas, though dial up worked.
Direct dial landline telephones worked fine (though few people believed this since they had only cordless phones that require power)
Cellphone reception very poor, no power to masts.
Satelite phones of course worked fine.

5) LAW AND ORDER anecdotal evidence suggests an increase in thefts, despite substantial extra police patrols. AFAIK no serious disorder resulted.

After the first day, batteries, flashlights, generators, extension cords, candles, kersosene, lanterns and the like were almost unavailable, most other goods readily available.

The supplies I took to friends consisted entirely of flashlights, batteries, lanterns, and glowsticks.
Whilst this was a potentialy serious incident, I feel that some people overreacted to local shortages of perishable foodstuffs and batteries.
All these items being in plentifull supply in areas nearer central London, which was only a 30 minute train ride away.

* how serious a power cut is open to debate, but I believe that this was one of the worst in England.
We have had longer cuts, but these have affected only small numbers in isolated rural areas.
WE have also had a power cut affecting many millions of people, but it was only for about an hour.

#177799 - 07/27/09 02:22 PM Re: Urban EDC [Re: adam2]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Valuable data. Thanks.

#181684 - 09/08/09 07:36 PM Re: Urban EDC [Re: dweste]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

differences: cash, keys, data ( bus schedule) comm - radio/ cell phone
Street maps ( very hard to find if the net is down).

#182133 - 09/14/09 04:12 AM Re: Urban EDC [Re: Brangdon]
philip Offline
Addict

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
> People become accustomed to things like piped water

If your water mains are broken, you'll have no water in the house. The toilets will no longer flush. This is a problem in an urban environment where it's all concrete and asphalt.

#184803 - 10/10/09 08:18 AM Re: Urban EDC [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Jeanette_Isabelle Online   content
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor
I suppose you could buy a bottle of vodka and gate crash one of the candlelit parties that will most likely have started up in the local neighbourhood during the power blackout then crash on their sofa. Then phone for a taxi the next morning or ask the householder to drive you home. smile

Without knowing the details, you are taking a chance of getting assaulted.

Jeanette Isabelle

Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle, Ren), 394 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
1 second ago
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.