The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#176752 - 07/18/09 05:24 AM Re: Urban EDC [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
AROTC Offline
Addict

Loc: Manhattan
Two things I would add to your list are a good map of the city and a phone book.

The phone book is only for your car or desk. I'm not recommending people carry the whole phone book. But the phone book contains a huge wealth of information, including maps, locations and phone numbers of government buildings, hospitals and nearly every shop. Okay, thats pretty obvious, but if you don't know it and you can't get to google on your Blackberry or Iphone, where are you going to find it?

A map is essential anywhere. Some cities are notoriously difficult to navigate with out one even in normal times. A map will help you find alternative routes and locate information you get from the news. Also, if you carry it regularly, annotate it with any information you find useful or interesting. I draw some maps into my notebook which has the advantage of fixing the information in my mind, but a cut and folded gas station map, a page from an atlas, or an internet map or two could all fit the bill depending on the area.

#176760 - 07/18/09 08:10 AM Re: Urban EDC [Re: AROTC]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
Yes. Agree. Clear plastic bag to keep it in as well. CPB's make a fairly effective map case.

smile

#176763 - 07/18/09 01:33 PM Re: Urban EDC [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
AROTC Offline
Addict

Loc: Manhattan
Here's a site that shows how I like to fold my maps. Fold Maps Its the second picture, figure B-2. It makes them less conspicuous when you're a tourist, and its much easier to manage in a vehicle. You can paste a couple together to make a map book for a larger area.

#176776 - 07/18/09 05:08 PM Re: Urban EDC [Re: acropolis5]
celler Offline
Addict

Loc: Jupiter, FL
Originally Posted By: acropolis5
Cellar, I think you're referencing a 4-way Silcock Key or Wrench, which are available from various hardware suppliers on the internet. Kudos to Ironraven for first introducing the idea to the EDC Forums. I'm now thinking of investing in a couple of those small hydrant wrenches mentioned above.

Thank you. That is exactly what I was looking for. A quick forum search did the rest. I think this is a pivotal item in the urban bug out kit or in situations where you can't carry enough water. I wish someone made one out of strong, light-weight material rather than the cast stuff that seems to be everywhere

This is a great thread, urban EDC is so much different that wilderness EDC and I've seen some great ideas here. Lets keep it going.

Craig.

#177013 - 07/20/09 06:45 PM Re: Urban EDC [Re: celler]
adam2 Offline
Addict

Loc: Somerset UK
My normal urban EDC is limited to 2 flashlights,a few spare batteries, 2 cellphones on different networks, money, contact details, travel pass,leatherman tool, and a lighter.

I dont EDC water or food or many spare batteries under normal conditions, but certainly would in adverse weather or if industrial disputes or other problems warrented so doing.

I walk several miles a day normally and therefore allways wear suitable shoes and clothing.

At work I keep food and water for at least a week, and also spare clothing, shoes, batteries, flashlights, glowsticks, radio,blanket, hard hat, respirator, leather gloves, safety glasses,geiger counter,and overalls.

My work requires that I keep a good selection of hand tools, some of which would be useful in any emergency.

I also keep a supply of very cheap home made disposable battery lights, not a substitute for the directional beam of a flashlight but useful to light a room or stairway, and cheap enough to give away.

Edited by adam2 (07/20/09 06:46 PM)

#177020 - 07/20/09 08:06 PM Re: Urban EDC [Re: adam2]
JohnE Offline
Addict

Loc: Southern Cal
I'm curious, do you carry 2 cell phones for a specific reason or just to be prepared?

If it's to be better prepared, I'd also be curious as the rationale behind that decision.

Thanks.

"and all the lousy little poets
comin round
tryin' to sound like Charlie Manson"

The Future/Leonard Cohen

#177025 - 07/20/09 11:25 PM Re: Urban EDC [Re: JohnE]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
I forget everything that was in my EDC when living and working in NYC. Now that I remain mostly in the burbs, I rely of my car kit and fewer things in my pockets.

However, I worked five miles away from my office and always considered that it might not be an option to return home. So, I was very loaded with gear in my EDC. I kept multiple firestarters, paracord, a sewing kit, tiny fishing kit, scapel blades, emergency poncho, garbage bag, escape mask, multitool, small first aid kit and a few other items. That EDC was designed to give me tools to allow me to get or adapt other things to keep me going. The fishing kit was overkill, but so what.

#177031 - 07/21/09 12:55 AM Re: Urban EDC [Re: Dan_McI]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
Don,

Which escape mask did/do you have?

#177045 - 07/21/09 02:22 AM Re: Urban EDC [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
Originally Posted By: Leigh_Ratcliffe
Yes. Agree. Clear plastic bag to keep it in as well. CPB's make a fairly effective map case.

smile

The 80 gallon ones (I think they are 80? seems) can fit a person in them, nifty for shelters, personal coverage, and more.

#177072 - 07/21/09 09:49 AM Re: Urban EDC [Re: JohnE]
airballrad Offline
Gear Junkie
Enthusiast

Loc: Gulf Coast Florida, USA
Originally Posted By: JohnE
I'm curious, do you carry 2 cell phones for a specific reason or just to be prepared?

I can't answer for his rationale, but when I carried phones on two networks it was because I carried one that belonged to me, and one that belonged to my employer. It was just coincidence that they were served by different carriers (and different mobile technologies). There were several occasions, however, when having both meant getting signal where having only one would have left me out of touch.

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.