Page 10 of 12 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 >
Topic Options
#176744 - 07/18/09 01:13 AM Re: Evacuation - neighbors without cars [Re: sodak]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: sodak
Originally Posted By: Eugene
Originally Posted By: sodak

Good for you. For those of us with families, this isn't an option.

Not true at all. There are handelbar child seats, rear child seats, trail a bikes, trailers, etc.

Look at some of the "bike trains" even http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=279527

A high end bike, seat, trailer and other gear is still cheaper to buy and own than even a low end car.

Yes, for small families it would be fine. If, however, you have several children, including toddlers/babies, and, oh yeah, lets not forget a disabled parent. Then it doesn't work at all.

I'm not saying you have to have a car. I AM saying that one size does NOT fit all.

I was basically trying to say don't go the complete opposite and rule bikes as a mode of transportation all together.
Here is a family of 5 for example http://www.bikeforums.net/showpost.php?p=5603579&postcount=31

Some disabled/handicapped people are able to ride different kinds of recumbent bikes.

I'm not giving up my truck but have the bikes as a plan B should something happen to disable it.

#176790 - 07/18/09 07:31 PM Re: Evacuation - neighbors without cars [Re: Eugene]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
Bikes have long made great Stage/Plan B transportation modes!!

#176806 - 07/18/09 10:27 PM Re: Evacuation - neighbors without cars [Re: wildman800]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

thats my plan. If we would ever need to leave our house the truck with camper and bikes are going.

#176875 - 07/19/09 07:09 PM Re: Evacuation - neighbors without cars [Re: ]
Grouch Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ohio
Izzy, we will likely see a lot of creepy stuff in a bugout situation that requires bicycles.

#176912 - 07/20/09 01:39 AM Re: Evacuation - neighbors without cars [Re: ]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
Okay...the family on the tandem bike is just creepy with their matching outfits.

LOL!

Reminds of the new twist in group tourism in DC, and some families touring -- everyone in matching bright colored t-shirts.

Actually could be wise.

The family that bugsout together in matching outfits, stays together....

#176961 - 07/20/09 02:17 PM Re: Evacuation - neighbors without cars [Re: Dagny]
UncleGoo Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: CT
Originally Posted By: Dagny
Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
Okay...the family on the tandem bike is just creepy with their matching outfits.

More quoting"
LOL!

Reminds of the new twist in group tourism in DC, and some families touring -- everyone in matching bright colored t-shirts.

Actually could be wise.

The family that bugsout together in matching outfits, stays together....
End More Quoting

Did that some years ago with AuntGoo, the niece, nephew, and their mother at Disneyworld. I bought neon yellow ballcaps for everyone, and the pitch was that we were going as a "team." The caps made it easy for the adults to keep track of the kids, and vice versa. Nephew had a tendency to go off wherever he wanted, and his mother wasn't inclined to stop him. After the second time he wandered off, I caught up with him, and threatened him with a week of Disneyworld Daycare, instead of the rides. THAT worked like a charm. ;-)

Edited by UncleGoo (07/20/09 02:18 PM)

#176965 - 07/20/09 02:39 PM Re: Evacuation - neighbors without cars [Re: Dagny]
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
Let’s says there is an attack in WDC. Let’s even say the river traffic has not been halted. You evacuate the WDC via your kayak by way of the Potomac and reach the Chesapeake. Now what? Where will you go? Do you have friends along the Bay that can take you in or must they travel to pick you up? Where will you meet?

It is likely that communications in the area will tricky at best. Hotels will likely be full. Evacuation centers may become your only option at that point in time. Will they take your dog? Are the ones along the Bay really where you want to end up? If you stay on the east bank of the Bay, further evacuation out of the area might be possible, although I suspect most road ways heading south will be jammed, heading north back towards WDC is not viable. If you head to the Eastern shore, your evacuations routes become very limited.

While it may be your only option, I think a whole lot of preplanning would be required for this option. I think better options would be to head north, south or west. If you can make it to Frederick (assuming we have not been evacuated), you can always stay with us, if you don’t mind the mess and possibly having to bunk with one of my daughters eekor camp in the backyard grin.

Pete

#176968 - 07/20/09 03:07 PM Re: Evacuation - neighbors without cars [Re: paramedicpete]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
Originally Posted By: paramedicpete
I think better options would be to head north, south or west. If you can make it to Frederick (assuming we have not been evacuated), you can always stay with us, if you don’t mind the mess and possibly having to bunk with one of my daughters eekor camp in the backyard grin.

Pete

You're very kind, Pete. We have friends with a farm in Myersville. Beautiful country out there.

Think I'd try to get back on the Oregon Trail, head west, and go home.

Fortunately, I love to camp and have tons of camping gear. Some of it here, much of it out near the mountains in Virginia where we usually camp.

We'd probably drown before getting far in the Bay in a kayak.

But the powerboat/sailboat owners have a nice option, in some situations.

#176976 - 07/20/09 04:05 PM Re: Evacuation - neighbors without cars [Re: Dagny]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
Originally Posted By: Dagny
Originally Posted By: Todd W
...there was a study someplace that showed a lot of ppl think "heading for the hills" is the answer.

Were they advised they might not have cable in the hills?

;-)

grin Is that how to keep`m`out... hmm.. lol

#176992 - 07/20/09 04:32 PM Re: Evacuation - neighbors without cars [Re: Todd W]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
First, it would have to be an evacuatable situation, like a hurricane, with enough warning to be effective.

Remember all those school buses that weren't put into use ahead of Katrina? The main parish had about 250 working school buses at the time. I know those buses carry 40-80 people, so if they carried an average of 50 each, that's about 12,000 people. On an evac route, I'm sure that takes up less pavement space than three people per private car (4,100 cars).

I've worked in the transportation industry, and most rigs are topped off with fuel at the end of each run.

So, all you would need would be prearranged drivers for those buses, have them go to predetermined neighborhood, and pick up people. The drivers could automatically take their families if they wanted to. Priority would be given to drivers who didn't have their own cars.

The same concept could apply to city buses.

Page 10 of 12 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 456 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.