Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#176894 - 07/19/09 11:27 PM regular duct tape vs military duct tape?
picard120 Offline
Old Hand

what is difference between regular duct tape & military duct tape? I am confused.

#176900 - 07/20/09 12:08 AM Re: regular duct tape vs military duct tape? [Re: picard120]
RayW Offline
Addict

Loc: Orlando, FL
Think that a better question would be what is the difference between good duct tape and cheap duct tape. The cheap duct tapes are usually thinner and not as sticky. The better tapes have thicker backing, are more durable and have a lot more sticky stuff on them.

Have used the military tape and it is a nice heavy duty duct tape that is not silver. If you are looking to buy a good tape at your local building supply the tapes that are in the $10-$15 range are usually good tapes. My personal favorite is Nashua 357. Have also heard that the gorilla tape (think that it is black not silver) is good also but i have not tried any yet.

If you want to use it temporarily you can also get gaffer tape, it is a little harder to find than duct tape but it does not leave a residue behind. Think that the last time i was at the photo shop they had it for almost $30 a roll. Glad i didn't need any. hth.

#176913 - 07/20/09 01:43 AM Re: regular duct tape vs military duct tape? [Re: RayW]
picard120 Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: RayW
Think that a better question would be what is the difference between good duct tape and cheap duct tape. The cheap duct tapes are usually thinner and not as sticky. The better tapes have thicker backing, are more durable and have a lot more sticky stuff on them.

Have used the military tape and it is a nice heavy duty duct tape that is not silver. If you are looking to buy a good tape at your local building supply the tapes that are in the $10-$15 range are usually good tapes. My personal favorite is Nashua 357. Have also heard that the gorilla tape (think that it is black not silver) is good also but i have not tried any yet.

If you want to use it temporarily you can also get gaffer tape, it is a little harder to find than duct tape but it does not leave a residue behind. Think that the last time i was at the photo shop they had it for almost $30 a roll. Glad i didn't need any. hth.

Is military duct tape tough ? is it as strong as gorilla duct tape ?

#176930 - 07/20/09 05:02 AM Re: regular duct tape vs military duct tape? [Re: picard120]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

There is essentially no difference between military grades and top quality commercial grades of duct tape. They are made by the same manufacturers and in the same factories. Many of the professional grade duct tapes carry a mil-spec specification code rating. Checking the label for specifications and approvals, sometimes also found printed inside the cardboard core, and going by price are two good ways of estimating the grade of tape.

I have found that the big-box hardware stores that cater to contractors, like Home Depot and Builder Square, carry a wide variety of grades of 'Duct Tape'. I use the quotes because the one thing you don't use 'duct tape' on is air ducts. On ducts you use foil tape.

The difference between discount store grades($3-5)and high quality commercial grades($9-17)is quite remarkable. The cheap stuff often falls off in a day or two on its own. In the cold it may not stick at all and in summer heat the stickum may smear, run, make a mess and generally be more trouble than something that just fails to work.

Cheaper grades don't store well and will deteriorate to uselessness in a few months even in near ideal storage conditions. High quality tape lasts longer even when stored in difficult conditions. The roll of good stuff, $15, I keep in my trucks cross-bed tool box is blasted and baked by the Florida heat but even after a year and more of this abuse it still works well.

My advice is to avoid the duct tape advertised as mil-spec. Most of it is just good quality commercial grade tape hyped by associating it with the military and sold at three times the price. If OD green is what you want Granger will sell you good quality stuff in OD green. They also carry black, blue and white if those colors suit you. All the same stuff. Just different colors.

On many jobs, particularly when permanence is important and where heat and moisture are present, foil tape is a better choice than even top quality duct tape. There is even a ultra-high grade foil tape made with stainless steel foil instead of the more usual aluminum. Seal an item, like a small bundle of matches wrapped in wax paper tinder, between two pieces of foil tape and it is protected from water and air pretty much forever.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 506 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.