Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#152007 - 10/15/08 04:26 PM Re: No fire extinguisher in your home? Buy one. [Re: GameOver]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
Originally Posted By: GameOver
Originally Posted By: Alan_Romania

Remember fire extinguishers should be replaced (if they are not the serviceable kind) before they expire. Serviceable extinguishes need to be checked by a certified servicing company annually. All extinguished should be checked about monthly.

Does anyone have experience disposing of the non-serviceable kind? I keep meaning to call the local waste removal folks to find out, given that it is a pressurized canister.

Ask at your local fire station, ours takes the non-serviceable kind and puts them to work doing PASS demonstrations. Not sure what they do with them afterwards, but they accept them.

#152099 - 10/16/08 01:46 PM Re: No fire extinguisher in your home? Buy one. [Re: Lono]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
a couple of years ago (gad it's that long already?) a friend in the fire protection business looked at me and said "want some fire extinguishers?" It seems at one of his sites, someone had magic markered on 3 units, and because of this, they either needed a repaint, or replace to pass in a commercial building - so I got 3 nice 20 lb units - one of which I gave away

Lets see - 1 5lb in the kitchen, a 20lb upstairs - hall closet next to steps, one 1st floor, next to fireplace, but closer to the door, 2 units down the basement (a dry powder and a CO2), and a pair in the garage - I guess I'm well covered - or at least better than MOST, although not quite as crazy as my friend upstate - he had a hydrant put in, and had a pumper (used) in the garage - of course he had been the local chief, and he and his son had more than a clue how to use the gear
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#152152 - 10/16/08 08:41 PM Re: No fire extinguisher in your home? Buy one. [Re: Alan_Romania]
Brangdon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nottingham, UK
How do fire extinguishers compare to other tools, eg a fire blanket or a bucket of sand?

#152155 - 10/16/08 09:01 PM Re: No fire extinguisher in your home? Buy one. [Re: Brangdon]
Alan_Romania Offline

Addict

Loc: Arizona
It is going to depend on your application. All in all, the appropriate size and type of extinguisher are better for most applications then either a sand bucket or fire blanket.

Now, if you are working with metals in your garage a bucket of sand would be a GREAT idea to have around.

#152190 - 10/17/08 02:10 PM Re: No fire extinguisher in your home? Buy one. [Re: Alan_Romania]
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NW NJ
The best thing for an incipent grease fire contained in a pot or frying pan is to just put a lid on it.

I saw one of those new aerosol can extinguishers on sale at the hardware store so I bought it. I showed it to my wife and told her I figured it would be more intuitive for her to use that the dry chem in case of a grease fire. She replied "Why do you think I keep a throw rug in front of the stove?" Smart lady.

"Never trust and engineer who doesn't carry a pocketknife."

#152192 - 10/17/08 02:39 PM Re: No fire extinguisher in your home? Buy one. [Re: thseng]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: thseng
The best thing for an incipent grease fire contained in a pot or frying pan is to just put a lid on it.

I saw one of those new aerosol can extinguishers on sale at the hardware store so I bought it. I showed it to my wife and told her I figured it would be more intuitive for her to use that the dry chem in case of a grease fire. She replied "Why do you think I keep a throw rug in front of the stove?" Smart lady.

Not sute what you exsacly mean with a aerosol can extinguisher but if a pan full of oil is on fire, than either put the lid on, a fire blanket or use a special grease extinguisher. A aerosol can doe'sn't sound like any of them...

#152197 - 10/17/08 03:06 PM Re: No fire extinguisher in your home? Buy one. [Re: Tjin]
thseng Offline
Old Hand

#152201 - 10/17/08 03:33 PM Re: No fire extinguisher in your home? Buy one. [Re: thseng]
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Replying to myself here... The MSDS I found shows a basic pH and Potassium Hydroxide as an ingredient.

This should be excellent for grease fires. H20+KOH+hot oil=Soap

I worked a summer internship for a fire protection company doing R&D and UL qualifications of wet chemical systems for commercial kitchens. Unlike dry chem, the aqueous solution helps cool the oil by evaporation and forms a soap layer the floats on the surface of the oil.

Once, when the system under test failed, I manually put out a 36" wok filled to the brim with 600 degree flaming oil with a 2-1/2 gal "A" type extinguisher that was charged with this solution.

************ DO NOT USE PLAIN WATER ON A GREASE FIRE *****************

#152206 - 10/17/08 04:04 PM Re: No fire extinguisher in your home? Buy one. [Re: thseng]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
I was randomly researching Tundra, too, and the MSDS I stumbled across listed potassium lactate as the main fire fighting ingredient but no mention of KOH. I thought potassium lactate sounded familiar...looked it up and it is also a common food preservative. Well, anyone who is wondering if it's toxic--they've probably been eating it for a long time already.

Anyway, apparently Tundra is not approved for sale in California, so I guess that I won't be seeing it sold in stores here.

One interesting thing about Tundra is that the solution is kept in a sealed bag inside the can, separate from the propellant. When you press the nozzle down, I guess the tube punctures the bag and pressurizes the solution. I don't believe that the small Fireade2000 extinguisher I just got uses that system.

I would be nervous as heck standing in front of a restaurant-size wok full of flaming oil no matter what kind of extinguisher I had in my hands!

#152207 - 10/17/08 04:14 PM Re: No fire extinguisher in your home? Buy one. [Re: Arney]
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: Arney
I would be nervous as heck standing in front of a restaurant-size wok full of flaming oil no matter what kind of extinguisher I had in my hands!

Target Fixation.

I had bunker gear but I forgot to put on gloves and singed the hair off my knuckles. On the video you could hear the other guys yelling "BACK UP!" but I didn't hear them.

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 197 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 12:03 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.