Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#176691 - 07/17/09 02:20 PM waterproof Case or Cover for important documents
Lon Offline

Loc: middle Tennessee
Howdy folks,
I would like to get some of your opinions/experiences for a waterproof case that I could use to store important documents.
I want to have crucial records and documents ready to grab and go, in the event of an emergency that forces us to leave home.

At home, I think fire is the biggest risk, so I would store the documents in my fire safe. If it's not too big, I would just keep the "case to transport" inside the fire safe until I need to grab it and go.
On the go, I reckon that water and grime is the biggest threat, so I'm looking for options to protect against that.

Something as simple as a ZipLock bag might be the answer; but I lean more toward some type of Hard Case for the best durability.

I am working to backup (digitize) all important documents to my laptop computer as well. It seems to me that having the paper documents, plus the electronic backup provides the most versatility and safety.

Something like this Pelican case might be a great option to transport both the laptop and the paper documents.

This is straying from my original goal, but I was also intrigued about the possibility of making an "everything pack" out of this Pelican tool chest , but I think the weight might be a limiting factor with that idea; the chest (unloaded) weighs about 40 lbs.

Anyway, enough of my rambling... what are the rest of you using or contemplating?

#176694 - 07/17/09 02:58 PM Re: waterproof Case or Cover for important documents [Re: Lon]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
Are you storing lots of documents or only a few?

A hiking map waterproof container may be simple, slim and affective for you.

#176697 - 07/17/09 03:26 PM Re: waterproof Case or Cover for important documen [Re: Lon]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas

RIP OBG

#176699 - 07/17/09 03:34 PM Re: waterproof Case or Cover for important documents [Re: Lon]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

The Ortlieb Document Case for various sizes i.e. A3, A4 etc might be worth considering.

http://www.ortliebusa.com/cartgenie/prodList.asp?scat=9

The Map Case is excellent, with a non slip finish for map and compass work.

#176705 - 07/17/09 03:55 PM Re: waterproof Case or Cover for important documents [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I just put each document inside a sheet protector and then seal those with clear shipping tape and then place inside my safe.

One thing you need to be careful of with firesafes, the typical firesafe will not protect anything but paper. Sheet protectors, CD's, anything else plastic can melt well below the flash point of paper and below the inside temp point of a plain firesafe. For any electronic backups you need a media safe or a gun safe. I found that a gun safe meets or exceeds the same rating as a media safe but at a much cheaper price per square foot.

#176734 - 07/17/09 10:43 PM Re: waterproof Case or Cover for important documents [Re: Eugene]
barbakane Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Florida
For something you can grab and go, I have the Ultimate Protection Portfolio I got off QVC a few years ago. It's put out by Suze Orman, the finance guru, and primarily for storing personal history and documents. It's a floating case, with a blinking locator light on it should you need it. it's not fireproof, but you can grab it in any emergency, or even leave it in the car. You can store electronic versions of any hardcopy documents you have, and it comes with forms for any and all states that help you with estate planning, wills, insurance, tax records, auto coverage, just about all financial aspects of your life. Look it up under the ISBN 9781401906498 at your favorite book site.

#176735 - 07/17/09 11:26 PM Re: waterproof Case or Cover for important documents [Re: Lon]
falcon5000 Offline
Addict

I can't help you out with fire but for water, the watershed bags are rugged and durable bags rated at 200 ft sea water. I store all my critical gear in these bags including 2 wm down bags. I have no concerns about water issues with these bags and I can use them as a flotation device to cross over a deep river. Worth the money and they stand behind there work. If you do decide to get one, pay the money for the purge valve. It really lets you remove the air out and it stays out, or inflate them for a flotation device.

http://www.drybags.com/home.html

#176736 - 07/17/09 11:30 PM Re: waterproof Case or Cover for important documents [Re: Todd W]
Lon Offline

Loc: middle Tennessee
(ToddW) I don't anticipate having a big pile of documents, so I will certainly consider a map cover. I had not thought of that; and I'm sure that would be much more secure than a Ziplock bag. I found several options: Granite Gear, ALOKSAK, SealLine, and the Ortlieb brand that (Am_Fear_) recommended.

(Desperado) I like the looks of those "top loading" Pelican cases that you linked. Those are added to my list of considerations.

(Barbakane) That Suze Orman Portfolio system looks interesting; and I like that she includes various forms and info to help you pull everything together.

It's all good...

#176784 - 07/18/09 06:47 PM Re: waterproof Case or Cover for important documents [Re: Lon]
NCLee Offline
Stranger

A FoodSaver vac sealer is the best thing I've found for waterproof document storage. This is just a side benefit of owning one, as I use it most for freezing meats (no freezer burn), veggies and fruits. I've even frozen premade pies in them to prolong the storage life. Additionally I use it for vac sealing jars of dehydrated fruits and vegetables, cornmeal and a host of other dry goods. Depending on the accessories you have, it'll marinate meats, prolong the life of produce in the refrigerator and much more.

Seal a change of dry clothes for hiking, camping. Same for first aid supplies and matches.

There's much more, but I won't wear out my welcome with my first post. BTW - disclaimer - I have no association with FoodSaver other than simply being a satisifed customer.

Lee

Edited by NCLee (07/18/09 06:48 PM)
Edit Reason: typo

#176827 - 07/19/09 03:37 AM Re: waterproof Case or Cover for important documents [Re: NCLee]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
blink
blink

I have one of those.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (adam2), 444 Guests and 319 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.