The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6
Topic Options
#185554 - 10/16/09 02:06 PM Re: Getting home; drive, ride, walk... [Re: Grouch]
GernBlanston Offline
Stranger

Loc: Stayton, Oregon
That's definitely something to consider. 1/2 mile isn't very far, disaster-wise.

#185617 - 10/16/09 08:06 PM Re: Getting home; drive, ride, walk... [Re: Blast]
Y_T_ Offline

Loc: Arizona
Originally Posted By: Eugene
Wife is a stay at home mom, so her and both kids would be in the house
she (or any SAHM) still needs a get-home plan though. smile for instance, I'm sure she leaves the house at some point for groceries, errands, doctor appointments, school, general outings.

Originally Posted By: Blast
Martin, you've mentioned many times that New York City officals are well prepared for a disaster, but what about the average person there? Have people learned from 9/11 and the blackouts that they should keep an emergency kit on hand?
-Blast
I lived in NYC until the fall of 2004. I didn't see efforts made by any company I freelanced at, nor hear any mention of any plans. Not even drills. During the blackout the company I worked at was not only staggeringly unprepared (not even a single flashlight in the entire office), but management abandoned the employees without notice. Zero plans, zero leadership, zero responsibility.

I also did not see or hear of any efforts made by the average citizens, to any degree. It's a city with a huge, dense population so statistically I'm sure some people must have made changes, but I never encountered anyone who had made even the smallest attempt at preparation. This is despite the American Red Cross PSAs after 9/11, despite the east coast blackout a few years later and despite others knowing I had a kit (which would have provided the opportunity to share that they had one). Me having put together the most minimal ARC kit was considered "quirky" at best and then ignored, and "anal/paranoid" in most cases.

My observation was people fell into 1 of 2 camps: convinced that the worst had already happened so nothing else would happen again, or totally unable to deal with the subject so they stayed in a safe denial bubble of pretending nothing was wrong. I hope it's changed in the past 5 years.

Edited by Y_T_ (10/16/09 08:16 PM)
Edit Reason: oops. number dyslexia. ;) left in 2004. that makes 5 years since.

#185618 - 10/16/09 08:08 PM Re: Getting home; drive, ride, walk... [Re: Y_T_]
Y_T_ Offline

Loc: Arizona
Like others, for me driving is the preferred option, walking is the last resort.

Among other things, I keep sneakers, a pair of socks and a wheely cart in my car in the event that I need to walk home. My GHB/car kit is in progress, but is mostly set up for a grab-and-go on foot scenario since that's my worst-case plan. Right now I'm lacking a good local map (it's gone missing) and a compass to allow me to navigate by foot, which I've learned is much harder than you'd think when you're used to other transportation. Though fortunately you can usually tell direction here if you can get a glimpse of the mountains.

Fortunately my bf currently works not far from home and works with 2 friends who also happen to live within walking distance. That makes the home-from-work situation much easier for him. Not only is the distance short enough to reasonably walk in a few hours, but he'd likely have well-known company. And if for some reason the car isn't an option he has 2 other people to potentially ride with.

There is some public transport here (buses), but I've never used it. Fortunately one of the stops is very close to my home so I should consider that as an option. I do need to get a schedule, get some details, and keep some bus fare as part of the emergency kit should busing it be a better option (or necessity) to walking.

#185619 - 10/16/09 08:09 PM Re: Getting home; drive, ride, walk... [Re: Y_T_]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Y T: "I hope it's changed in the past 4 years."

I got a good paycheck (relatively speaking) last week. I'll bet it all against that.

Sue

#185620 - 10/16/09 08:13 PM Re: Getting home; drive, ride, walk... [Re: Susan]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Eugene: "Wife is a stay at home mom, so her and both kids would be in the house"

What if the house is the LAST place to be, and she has to evacuate? Please tell me that she isn't going to be sitting there with the kids, waiting for you to rescue her. Please.

Sue

Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 134 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.